Help Please! No Start L345DT

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
I have an l345dt that has decided not to start. I have verified that the battery os good and the battery connections are good. I have also checked all fuses and they are good.
What happens is that when I turn the key on, my oil light comes on, and when I try to start it with the clutch and brake depressed, it does nothing. The oil light goes out, and I appear to get a lot of drain (the ngative cable gets hot to the touch), but the starter won't turn over.
I don't have an electrical diagram, but the system doesn't appear to be too cmplicated, but I'm at a loss on where to look.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have a shorted solenoid or starter.
I'll send you a link for the WSM for that tractor.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
If just the negative cable gets hot. that can indicate a high internal resistance. Even if the cable looks good on the outside it can corrode under the insulation. The corrosion causes resistance and the resistance causes the heat. Replace the cable or bypass the negative cable with a GOOD pair of jumper cables. Then try to start and see what happens.

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
North Idaho, that would be great, thank you!
I immediately though starter or solenoid, but I couldn't find a solenoid, and I was tapping on the starter while trying to crank it over with no luck. Is there a solenoid anywhere?

Kubotasam, I'll try the jumper cable trick as well, I looked at where the negative cable is grounded, and besides being a poor spot, it's HEAVILY corroded. So if that works, I will relocate the negative cable.

Thanks for giving me the advice! I will update once I try everything.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If you have a set of jumper cables, jump directly from the battery positive to the starter positive terminal (the negative is through the frame). If it turns over, your starter is good. If it doesn't, hook up the negative lead on the battery and to the body of the starter. Tap the positive lead against the positive starter terminal again. If it turns over now, you have a bad ground. If it still doesn't turn over, your starter is shot.

We really need to come up with a flowchart for starting issues and make it a sticky...

SilverBulletZ

Equipment
L345DT with L1720 Loader
Jun 4, 2014
South Dakota
It's good to go! I did the jumper cable test, and sure enough, the negative side was bad. I suspected the connection point, but it turns out that the negative cable was bad. I checked the cable once I replaced it, but somehow it went bad internally. So, replaced it, relocated it to a better grounding point, and it starts and runs like a champ!

Thanks for the help everyone, it was greatly apreciated!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It's good to go! I did the jumper cable test, and sure enough, the negative side was bad. I suspected the connection point, but it turns out that the negative cable was bad. I checked the cable once I replaced it, but somehow it went bad internally. So, replaced it, relocated it to a better grounding point, and it starts and runs like a champ!

Thanks for the help everyone, it was greatly apreciated!
that bad ground can cause more PITA that I can count, learned long ago on 12V systems........check the #$@#@#$% ground first then work forward......

glad to hear you got it fixed...........:D