Lift arm swivel balls rusted to the pin

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
I am trying to remove the lift arms from my B2150. I need to work on the lift brackets for the MMM. Both arms (ie, the swivel balls) at the rear diff case are rusted solid to the pin coming out to the case. I have soaked them over night with WD40 and expect I will have to heat them today to get them off. I am using a chissel/pry bar between the arm and the diff case to try to get it to move. Any other suggestions?

John in VA

Highspeed

Equipment
B-series
Jan 27, 2014
mid-Michigan
PB Blaster is a much better penetrant, should the WD not be enough. Just let it work for several hours and soak it good. Best of luck!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
PB Blaster is a much better penetrant, should the WD not be enough. Just let it work for several hours and soak it good. Best of luck!

I second PBB.......soak and walK AWAY............:D:D Stinks like hell and will stay on you for a while !:eek:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Kroil works awesome if you have any on hand...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If that fails,try boiling water and a air hammer. Have used this method with great success. Pouring water while hammering breaks up the rust and water flushes the particles out of the gap.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Ah the penetrant war...

The only thing universal to all penetrants is time. If you keep soaking a spot, once a day, for a few days, about any penetrant will work.

I have used WD-40 with success on a fully rusted top link. I have used PBBlaster with success on a rusted exhaust manifold bolt with success. I had sewing machine oil work on a rusted solid steel bench bolt. Success was just how long it took to get the penetrant through the rust.

Fastest penetrant I have heard of is 50/50 ATF and Acetone, however, that's also the most flammable one, so no heat-no spark- no flame near it.

300zx

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Here is the status. Removed the rear wheel, ROPs, and fender. Then we removed the right plate that holds the pin that is stuck in the lift arm. The oxy/acetylene tip I have wouldn't heat the swivel enough for any progress. I am soaking it in my electrolytic rust removal tonight to see if that will help. Tomorrow I plan to use my ball joint pickling forks and air hammer to see if it will come loose. If not successful, it will be going to the weld shop Monday where they have more heat/bigger rose buds!!

John in VA

Vrat

Equipment
B7300 HSD
Sep 23, 2014
Lehigh Valley, PA
My turnbuckles on the three point hitch were severely rusted, no movement at all. Soaking for a couple of days in various solvents did very little, next step was heat. Before I went to heat I did a quick search on rust remover and came across electrolysis rust removal. Watched the video and it made complete sense. So I put together a set up and cooked them for about 4 hours and with a little effort with a wire brush everything was working perfect. I honestly didn't think I would get good results. By buddy was blown away by the results. For what it's worth at least check out the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQNvhUYqCkw

jasonTDI

Equipment
May 31, 2014
Dunn, WI
I keep my tractor inside to prevent a lot of rust. Kroil. PB, Aceton/ATF all work good. The trick is prevention. I coat all moving parts with WD or their new Silicone version to prevent it from rusting. I'd rather prevent than fight.

LowInOhio

Equipment
B2301
Aug 6, 2014
Nashport, OH
www.nashportohio.com
I'm a believer in Kroil too, but....do you have access to any metalworking tools? I made this to pull off a steering wheel, but it has been handy on several stuck items since. I tried it on my B7200 and it fit just right over the bar that the swing arm fits over. You could make something like this, bolt together on the inside of the swing arm and use a 2-arm puller to get off. It would pull against the swivel ball. Close to Newark Ohio (or Nashport) and you can use this one!! :)
VA's not very close I guess!

Attachments

Last edited:

300zx

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
I'm a believer in Kroil too, but....do you have access to any metalworking tools? I made this to pull off a steering wheel, but it has been handy on several stuck items since. I tried it on my B7200 and it fit just right over the bar that the swing arm fits over. You could make something like this, bolt together on the inside of the swing arm and use a 2-arm puller to get off. It would pull against the swivel ball. Close to Newark Ohio (or Nashport) and you can use this one!! :)
VA's not very close I guess!
You're right, we aren't that close. I do have a bearing separator that I have considered using.

John in VA

300zx

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
I keep my tractor inside to prevent a lot of rust. Kroil. PB, Aceton/ATF all work good. The trick is prevention. I coat all moving parts with WD or their new Silicone version to prevent it from rusting. I'd rather prevent than fight.
I agree. This is a new to me tractor that has been abused and I am in the middle of restoring it. It has a lot of life left in it.

John in VA

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
ZX,, there was a member a long time back that spoke of when he was a kid and they worked on old rusty stuck farm stuff,, they would heat it up good and warm hot red hot but really warm,, and then take the butt end of an old candel touch it to the heated parts and let it melt, and let it cool.. He claimed that the heat would draw the wax in to the rusted part and the wax would lubercate the part they were trying to get apart,,, Does it work I have no idea, but it sounds good on paper,,lol

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Heat causes the parts to expand, breaking the rust down in the affected areas so you can either get penetrant in it or break it loose with a tool. The drawbacks to heat are usually damage to paint and tempering of the metals (if they are tempered at all). You can make an issue worse with heat and most penetrants are flammable so keep away from open flame or really hot parts.

Mild heat and an impact implement can resolve a lot of stuck issues, but I agree with the statement made by jasonTDI, prevention is better than fighting rust.

300zx

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Success! I took it to the weld shop who had the larger oxy/acetylene tip and he was successful. Got the end of the lift arm red hot, and used a ball joint fork to break it loose. He had to heat it 3 times and drive the fork in from alternate sides to finally get it off. My wallet is $40 lighter, but it was well worth it. It took him a good 45 minutes of pounding and heating to get both arms loose. For reference, the side plate and pin is $231/side and the lift bracket is $138/side. The amount of rust scale inside the swivel ball was amazing. I clamped the ball in my vice at the 1/8" flat on the side of the ball so the hole was exposed. I then used a 7/8" drill bit to clean out the scale. All is good now. Reassembly will require drilling out and replacing some broken bolts and studs, but that should be straight forward compared to the stuck swivel balls. Restoration of what others have neglected and not taken care of is not for the faint of heart. But, I will also say that Kubota's can really take a beating!!

Here is a picture of where the side plate came off of the rear casting and a picture of the side plate, pin, lift arm and MMM bracket before we got it apart today.

John in VA

Last edited: