can you jump saftey switch?

tims

Equipment
9540 L48
Feb 26, 2013
DeMotte In
can you jump electric leads that connect to the seat safety switch on a 2004 L48 to see if it is the switch as a problem
thnx
Tims

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
A jump wire work just fine. Be sure to replace the switch if it's bad. Operating the tractor with "tricked safety switches" is a BAD idea.

tims

Equipment
9540 L48
Feb 26, 2013
DeMotte In
After doing a lot of testing and looking in the shop manual, I think we found the problem. It seems the flipper switch that is activated when the seat swivels from tractor to backhoe got bent and would not engage the lever to let the tractor know it was not being used as a back hoe. Bent it back into position and it works fine.

thnx

Tims

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
After doing a lot of testing and looking in the shop manual, I think we found the problem. It seems the flipper switch that is activated when the seat swivels from tractor to backhoe got bent and would not engage the lever to let the tractor know it was not being used as a back hoe. Bent it back into position and it works fine.

thnx

Tims
It is nice when you can find the simple solution rather than fight an electrical one that drives you crazy ! Glad it is fixed!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
SWITCH NOTE:

I had a thread months back on my L3800 with a "chattering" starter. Replace the battery. Only got worse. Last week, on occasion, you'd turn the key and nothing would happen.

This tractor was left sitting outside for four months by the previous owner. The battery was down quite away and start attempts probably didn't engage the starter solenoid quite hard enough and attempts thereafter only fried the contacts more. Partly a sticky solenoid is my first guess.

Some time you get a totally normal start. Sometimes, silence. When the hamsters don't make a noise, I cycle the clutch pedal. No difference. Then I bounce up and down on the seat. Click...Vrooom!

I put my seat switch on the volt meter and it shows a good clean make-or-break. What was crusty was the switch block plug. That had a fair amount of dirt/dust in it and I am sure that held moisture. I shot the block out with contact cleaner and all the starts have been strong with little or no chatter. I am sure the solenoid contacts are "crusty" so, when I get time, I am going to order a set from the Alternator Man in Dallas.

The seat switch is a sealed switch block. To spray it, you'd have to drill a hole and flood it with contact cleaner. Then you'd have to seal up the drill hole with JB Weld. Easier to just replace the switch block.

I'll let you know how things progress. At least, with a Denso starter, parts are plentiful and inexpensive. :)

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
You can run with a safety switch wired up, you throws your dice, you takes your chances. If you have employees operating, you will be fined if osha inspects. If I weren't a one man show, I would keep 'em operating, if my loved ones were operating it. I have thousands of hours of seat time, lots on older farm equipment, that had no os switches. Oh yes, I also have all the appendages that god gave me, and try to realize this question before operating or repairing anything: Is what I am doing safe?:confused: