L3010 HST - no dash lights - will not crank

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
After finishing tilling yesterday, pulled the tractor in the shop, and the key would not kill the tractor…..so I pulled the "engine stop knob"……killed the tractor. Then will the engine stop knob pushed in, I tried to start the tractor, and noticed no dash lights were on, and the engine would not turn over.

I went to check the battery and noticed that my hold down bracket had come loose and let the battery shift to the side thus wearing through the insulation on the hot wire of the battery and allowing it to arc against the metal support near the radiator.

I check all the fuses, including the slow blow fuse, and all appears to be fine, however issue remains: no dash lights, and will not crank.

Any/All thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated!!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Battery shorted to ground= dead battery at best.
It needs to be recharged then tested.
Most garages/ auto parts stores will test your battery for free.
If it tests good, hopefully thats all that happened.
I could go on listing things that could be wrong, but best to follow a process of elimination.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Just had the battery checked, and it checks out fine. I cleaned all the posts and ground to frame, and this time I have dash lights, but when I try to start it,, it's only one "click" and then no more dash lights. Still hoping for a solution.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Deja-vue....
We just had a similar event. Ground and positive cables need to be checked at both ends, ground cable saw lots of load when battery shorted.
There may be a fuse link in the wiring as well.
A piece of wire designed to burn off in case of a dead short.
Wire burns inside - leaving wire cover intact.
A tug on the wire will identify it, as it wil stretch. A wiring diagram woukd help you find the locations.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Connections at the starter are secure………getting good voltage to the starter, still searching.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is a main line fuse that inline and runs from the starter out wire (red 10 Gauge wire) to the switch, have you seen or checked that?

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Thanks, I'll look/check that fuse…….also have a starter relay due in today, hopefully i'm closing in on this!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Connections at the starter are secure………getting good voltage to the starter, still searching.
If ground is corroded/loose you will still find good voltage. The ground has a lock washer and it permits rust to build up around it. Negative connectios are as important to look at.

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Problem Solved…….The issue was solved with a starter relay #35800-75070.

Thanks to those that responded with suggestions and help!! Great forum!!

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I'd like to continue this conversation but with acknowledging I'm not intimate with your model machine.

The statement was made in this string that the decompression pull-knob should not be used to stop the engine.

Why so?

That's what it's intended use is--to stop the engine.

That, and to make starting easier when cold---spin it with starter with decompresson pulled 'out' or 'on', then when the engine gets up to speed with the starter alone, push the decompression 'in' or 'off'. Should start. Builds oil pressure and takes less battery juice.

In commercial / industrial settings, handy if the engine gets into a fuel-laden atmosphere and then can't be stopped with the key swtich. A characteristic of diesels. Years ago had a diesel pump engine run wild when it got a stream of natural gas blown from a wellhead. Spooky. An old hand peeled off his heavy coat and climbed up on it while it was screaming and smothered the breather.

I'm curious what others think about when to use the decompression feature?

Please post back your comments and experiences so we may all learn.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I'd like to continue this conversation but with acknowledging I'm not intimate with your model machine.

The statement was made in this string that the decompression pull-knob should not be used to stop the engine.

Why so?

That's what it's intended use is--to stop the engine.

It's intended use is to help start the engine, not stop it.
It can be used to stop the engine but recommended for emergency use only.
Using it to stop the engine can damage the exhaust valves.