G1800 Driveshaft Replacement Tips

badmaxdog

Equipment
G1800s B2920
May 2, 2015
Natrona Heights, Pa
Hi, My driveshaft on my G1800 has failed today (universal joint and yoke damaged) and I was wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of replacing one of these. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

badmaxdog

Equipment
G1800s B2920
May 2, 2015
Natrona Heights, Pa
Re: G1800 Driveshaft Replacement Tips ??

Hi, My driveshaft on my G1800 has failed today (universal joint and yoke damaged) and I was wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of replacing one of these. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

Bump to this thread.

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Hi AScott. That pic looks familiar. I had to do a similar tear-down to replace the steering box in mine. Never had to replace the driveshaft, but at least I know how to tear the machine down to get to it. I was actually a bit surprised at how relatively easy it was to tear down and rebuild.

Ascott172

Apr 14, 2015
Carolinas
I had to unbolt the radiator and lift it slightly to get the drive shaft out. The cool thing is every bolt was 12mm except the steering wheel.

Northporter

Equipment
G1800 L3010
Oct 14, 2017
Northport, Michigan
Remove seat and rear fenders and wheels and put jack stands under axles.
Remove the 8 (4 per side) bolts holding the transmission to the frame. Rubber mallet to move the axles backward 3/8" or so, allowing room enough to remove the drive shaft.

Northporter

Equipment
G1800 L3010
Oct 14, 2017
Northport, Michigan
You also need to remove 2 bolts holding the fuel tank to the frame. To reassemble just rubber mallet the axles forward 3/8" and re align bolt holes. About 2-3 hour job. Probably an hour job now I know.

Cobraone

Equipment
B2650, G1800 FWS, B2782B snow blower, RC48G20 mower deck
Jan 27, 2018
Boyne City, Michigan
I need to replace my water pump and thought about replacing the driveshaft at the same time, glad to know about the 12mm bolts and as we all know a good picture is worth a thousand words, my G1800 has over two thousand hours, starting to worry about that driveshaft, but overall it has been an awesome lawn tractor

bjmsam

Equipment
L3710 HST, G1900-S
Feb 19, 2010
Mount Airy, MD
Wow, that's some major disassembly! On my G1900S, it took about fifteen minutes to remove the drive shaft once the mower deck was off and the front wheels were up on ramps.
  1. Remove Pin from rear Yoke Clamp. Some models have a Yoke Clamp with Bolt.

2. Unbolt (3 x 12mm) front triangular splined shaft plate from engine (for reference, that belt drives the generator and radiator fan).
  3. Slide assembly forward and off of transmission splined shaft or rearward and off of flywheel until free at both ends. Maneuver assembly as far rearward as possible (between transmission fan blades), then over to the engine oil filter side of tractor, and finally out through the front.

The rear Yoke Clamp can be pried out between the bottom of the floor panel and the top of the horizontal frame tube, which has a hole located and sized conveniently to accommodate a large screwdriver for leverage.
    The oil filter can be removed for additional clearance (so if you're also performing an oil change, then leave the filter off until the end).

Once out, I followed this approach for disassembly with a hammer, sockets, and bench vise.

The parts manual lists Assy Joint Cross 66101-13580 for my model:

According to Messick's, that has been superseded by 66091-61830:

My local dealer does not stock that part, so I ordered it and followed this approach for easy assembly.

I reinstalled the shaft by performing the same three steps in reverse and everything now works perfectly!

Reactions: 1 users

3cDiesel

Equipment
G 1800S
Jul 27, 2022
Ohio
Wow, that's some major disassembly! On my G1900S, it took about fifteen minutes to remove the drive shaft once the mower deck was off and the front wheels were up on ramps.
  1. Remove Pin from rear Yoke Clamp. Some models have a Yoke Clamp with Bolt.

2. Unbolt (3 x 12mm) front triangular splined shaft plate from engine (for reference, that belt drives the generator and radiator fan).
  3. Slide assembly forward and off of transmission splined shaft or rearward and off of flywheel until free at both ends. Maneuver assembly as far rearward as possible (between transmission fan blades), then over to the engine oil filter side of tractor, and finally out through the front.

The rear Yoke Clamp can be pried out between the bottom of the floor panel and the top of the horizontal frame tube, which has a hole located and sized conveniently to accommodate a large screwdriver for leverage.
    The oil filter can be removed for additional clearance (so if you're also performing an oil change, then leave the filter off until the end).

Once out, I followed this approach for disassembly with a hammer, sockets, and bench vise.

The parts manual lists Assy Joint Cross 66101-13580 for my model:

According to Messick's, that has been superseded by 66091-61830:

My local dealer does not stock that part, so I ordered it and followed this approach for easy assembly.

I reinstalled the shaft by performing the same three steps in reverse and everything now works perfectly!
Thank you for this post! I just performed this on my G1800-S and it worked beautifully! I did remove the oil filter and it made all the difference. My tractor had the bolted yoke and was really the only difference from yours. My yoke was busted and the driveshaft was bent, so I purchased the complete kit and replaced it all. It took me about 15 minutes to remove the old and probably just as long to install the new driveshaft.
Again, thank you so much for this great post!

Reactions: 1 user