how to test a kubota igniter 12499-68140

MAScott

Equipment
1992 T1700 lawn tractor
May 1, 2015
Clermont
No spark. Replaced coil and ign switch, then my local lawn guy recommended to make sure the igniter was grounded good. I removed cleaned and bam it started first try and the next 10 times. Now no spark again. I would like to know if it's bad before buying a new one for $70. How do i test it with a meter?

Thanks

1992 T1700 lawn tractor.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
No spark. Replaced coil and ign switch, then my local lawn guy recommended to make sure the igniter was grounded good. I removed cleaned and bam it started first try and the next 10 times. Now no spark again. I would like to know if it's bad before buying a new one for $70. How do i test it with a meter?

Thanks

1992 T1700 lawn tractor.
First thing to do - try a new plug, $4 fix IF it is the problem, if not - at least you have a spare.

Grounding the plug outside the block in a dark situation will tell you if you have "spark" too.

this is a tool to tell if spark is present too:

http://www.amazon.com/Fool-proof-En...939&sr=8-1&keywords=small+engine+spark+tester

I would take and clean the connections once again.

Meter is tough to use in this situation, you are taking a magnetic field and passing it through another one and then a circuit is opening allowing a 20k volt to pass in a millisecond.

But IF the coil is shot - you will get a open circuit reading infinity - if you have a short - it will read damn near zero ohms.......not sure what the resistance of a "new" coil would be.

You can test your switch quickly - do a simple continuity check on it.

Best to see it !

OR you can do it the ol' fashion way.......

Hold a screwdriver under the insulator and touch the metal of the screwdriver as you hit the starter:eek::)

MAScott

Equipment
1992 T1700 lawn tractor
May 1, 2015
Clermont
First thing to do - try a new plug, $4 fix IF it is the problem, if not - at least you have a spare.

Grounding the plug outside the block in a dark situation will tell you if you have "spark" too.

this is a tool to tell if spark is present too:

http://www.amazon.com/Fool-proof-En...939&sr=8-1&keywords=small+engine+spark+tester

I would take and clean the connections once again.

Meter is tough to use in this situation, you are taking a magnetic field and passing it through another one and then a circuit is opening allowing a 20k volt to pass in a millisecond.

But IF the coil is shot - you will get a open circuit reading infinity - if you have a short - it will read damn near zero ohms.......not sure what the resistance of a "new" coil would be.

You can test your switch quickly - do a simple continuity check on it.

Best to see it !

OR you can do it the ol' fashion way.......

Hold a screwdriver under the insulator and touch the metal of the screwdriver as you hit the starter:eek::)
Forgot new plug too... No spark... New coil and ign switch. My real thought is the "igniter" how do I test it? the igniter is not the coil / magneto.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Forgot new plug too... No spark... New coil and ign switch. My real thought is the "igniter" how do I test it? the igniter is not the coil / magneto.
take picture of this "igniter" - not sure I understand what it is that you want to test.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
By chance have a schematic of the electrical?

looking at the part - the Igniter is simply a relay - or cpu that dictates when the firing will occur.

What leads do you have coming out? and I would imagine that the only way to test is to have an input voltage coming in.

Have you tested the switch by chance? - I would rule out everything before this part. If this part is bad - replacement is all you can do - testing THIS part will be difficult if impossible

Have you removed this and cleaned the ground?

MAScott

Equipment
1992 T1700 lawn tractor
May 1, 2015
Clermont
No schematic, 1 lead on igniter, good ground and is which is why i think this may be the issue cause when I cleaned it it has worked for a month, I hope to tests as a new one is $72 + shipping

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
No schematic, 1 lead on igniter, good ground and is which is why i think this may be the issue cause when I cleaned it it has worked for a month, I hope to tests as a new one is $72 + shipping
Can you open the igniter? Probably a 99% chance that you cannot fix it .....but just maybe.

The lead - how many wires in the casing?

MAScott

Equipment
1992 T1700 lawn tractor
May 1, 2015
Clermont
1 wire, it then goes into a Y one side goes in motor other goes towards the wire loom

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
You cleaned the ground and it worked, now you have no spark... Check grounds again. All of them.