Water in fuel symptoms

bh115577

Equipment
2004 BX 2200, FEL, 60" MMM
Mar 5, 2015
Central NY
Last week I was plowing the garden and had the BX2200 at a decent lean with 2 of the tires in a furrow. The engine started to lose some power and sputtered a little so I thought I was running out of fuel. I idled it down and turned it off quickly and refilled the tank.

It runs fine for a while and then intermittently looses power and then comes back again. Maybe drops a few hundred RPM's. No smoke at all from exhaust, cracked the lines at the injectors at idle and all stumbled the engine equally, filters are 10 hours new and look clean. Haven't drained any fuel yet to check for water but was wondering if these symptoms sound like water in the fuel. I work with a lot of diesels and all of them have a water separator and I don't ever remember an diesel running like this due to water. Always see either blue or black smoke or the exhaust just smells different. Kinda like an engine that's burning antifreeze.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Last week I was plowing the garden and had the BX2200 at a decent lean with 2 of the tires in a furrow. The engine started to lose some power and sputtered a little so I thought I was running out of fuel. I idled it down and turned it off quickly and refilled the tank.

It runs fine for a while and then intermittently looses power and then comes back again. Maybe drops a few hundred RPM's. No smoke at all from exhaust, cracked the lines at the injectors at idle and all stumbled the engine equally, filters are 10 hours new and look clean. Haven't drained any fuel yet to check for water but was wondering if these symptoms sound like water in the fuel. I work with a lot of diesels and all of them have a water separator and I don't ever remember an diesel running like this due to water. Always see either blue or black smoke or the exhaust just smells different. Kinda like an engine that's burning antifreeze.
Could still be water, slap a new filter on, and bleed the system, then drain the old filter into a glass or clear container, and see if any water is in it...:D

bh115577

Equipment
2004 BX 2200, FEL, 60" MMM
Mar 5, 2015
Central NY
Dropped the filter closest to the tank. No water but did get some black algae out of it. Treated the tank with biocon and picked up a few extra filters for when it starts to die off and plug them up.