B7100 with a slight mechanical issue.

Grumpy560

Equipment
1979 B7100D 4WD with B219 loader/ 3 G6200 HST mowers/ JD 310D 4X4 backhoe
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
Alright, loader frame has a fresh coat of paint and my dad is going to bring everything back this weekend.

I've been looking at gauge sets and LED lighting on eBay when I found a Kubota tachometer with hour meter, not sure what models were equipped with the unit I have but it will work anyway.

And its time to show some assembly pics. I'm going to make a video within the next few days and put it on YouTube.

Still a lot left to get done.

Attachments

Last edited:

Grumpy560

Equipment
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
I'm not going to install any of the rear PTO parts because I'm not sure what's needed or not when the ROPS assembly is mounted.

Got a new high back seat with dual side arm rest that will eventually get installed. I'll have to make a mounting plate as soon as I know how much room I'm going to have once the ROPS is in place.

Attachments

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Very nice!!!!

Now you need to learn the steering wheel trick. Use a propane torch on the steering wheel. DON'T MELT IT! Just lick the wheel with the flame ever so briefly and it'll melt the oxidized top layer of plastic just enough to make it look like new. Also, don't pause or overheat near the center or you will distort the thin rim that the cover snaps into. Try a small spot on the outer rim of the wheel to get an idea of how it works... This is the same way fixture folks work the rough edges of acrylic after they cut it. You can likely also use a heat gun. Just make sure you don't get it too hot and burn it...takes a gentle touch. The following vid will give you an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQs2ik1dzzE

It would also likely work on the faded red knobs.

Nice work so far dude!

And, don't forget to paint that hydraulic pipe retainer.... (just had to say this to bug your OCD side...)

Now, aren't you glad you didn't rattle can it? IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!! And, most importantly, it will stay looking that way.

She's looking like brand new!

;-)

PS - I noticed you polished the PTO shaft but not the alternator.... sigh... :)

Last edited:

Grumpy560

Equipment
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
Very nice!!!!

Now you need to learn the steering wheel trick. Use a propane torch on the steering wheel. DON'T MELT IT! Just lick the wheel with the flame ever so briefly and it'll melt the oxidized top layer of plastic just enough to make it look like new. Also, don't pause or overheat near the center or you will distort the thin rim that the cover snaps into. Try a small spot on the outer rim of the wheel to get an idea of how it works... This is the same way fixture folks work the rough edges of acrylic after they cut it. You can likely also use a heat gun. Just make sure you don't get it too hot and burn it...takes a gentle touch. The following vid will give you an idea:

It would also likely work on the faded red knobs.

Nice work so far dude!

And, don't forget to paint that hydraulic pipe retainer.... (just had to say this to bug your OCD side...)

Now, aren't you glad you didn't rattle can it? IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!! And, most importantly, it will stay looking that way.

She's looking like brand new!

;-)

PS - I noticed you polished the PTO shaft but not the alternator.... sigh... :)
Thanks Steve,

Not going to do anything with the old wheel except toss it in the garbage. Its full of cracks and is slightly bent. I've got a brand new one that will go on later.

Grumpy560

Equipment
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
So my dad dropped off the loader frame this morning and it looks great. The new seat my dad bought me turned out to be a suspension type setup and I don't think its going to work but we will deal with that problem later.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Damn, that is beautiful! If there's a concours class tractor show, you'd definitely be in the running for best of show! It will be a shame to get it dirty, but I realize you're building a working tractor, not a show piece, and I respect that, I'd also rather have a "driver" myself.

By the way, thanks a lot for making me realize how much work my old B7100 needs.:mad::(:rolleyes::D

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
All I can say is...

TAKE THAT, RUST!!! NEENER-NEENER!!!

Gorgeous indeed. I like your dad's choice of seats. In fact, if you can't get it to work, I'll swap you my L3800 seat for it!!! :)

Truly a keeper. What a lucky little machine.

Ray

Grumpy560

Equipment
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
Damn, that is beautiful! If there's a concours class tractor show, you'd definitely be in the running for best of show! It will be a shame to get it dirty, but I realize you're building a working tractor, not a show piece, and I respect that, I'd also rather have a "driver" myself.

By the way, thanks a lot for making me realize how much work my old B7100 needs.:mad::(:rolleyes::D
Thanks,

Just send the B7100 to me and I'll restore it and send it back to you minus the B670 backhoe, that would look darn good mounted on mine:cool:

Don't forget to send the 14" bucket too!

Last edited:

Grumpy560

Equipment
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
All I can say is...

TAKE THAT, RUST!!! NEENER-NEENER!!!

Gorgeous indeed. I like your dad's choice of seats. In fact, if you can't get it to work, I'll swap you my L3800 seat for it!!! :)

Truly a keeper. What a lucky little machine.

Ray
Thanks,

I'm sure my dad will find some way to make it work as always but I'm still not convinced it's going to look right when he's done:D

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Very nice!!!!

Now you need to learn the steering wheel trick. Use a propane torch on the steering wheel. DON'T MELT IT! Just lick the wheel with the flame ever so briefly and it'll melt the oxidized top layer of plastic just enough to make it look like new.

Apogee, Thanks for the great tip...

Grumpy, Your re-build is looking AWESOME !!!

Grumpy560

Equipment
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
While I understand your reasoning here, it ain't happening. After all the work I put in restoring it, it's like a kid to me. And it does make the tractor look good!
Its just not fair, you have wheel weights too:)

Nice looking machine you have there.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I think Lil Foot made those wheel weights, he can probably point you at the thread.

So, you going to sell that as a "New Old Stock" tractor? That thing looks so pretty I too wouldn't want it in the dirt. That could be a trailer queen show tractor if it weren't for the engine swap.

Grumpy560

Equipment
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
Well I just had to see if the seat my dad got me would fit without too much trouble and I've come to the conclusion that its not going to work. There's just not enough clearance for the PTO arms to raise properly not to mention I'd be sitting 17" higher up.

Since I don't want to cut up anything I think its better left alone and I'll just buy a new original style seat instead.

Attachments

Last edited:

Grumpy560

Equipment
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
Alright, I've cleaned up the radiator and straightened out all of the cooling fins the best I could. I cleaned it a second time with a scotch brite pad to remove any loose paint that remained. I took it to the car wash and carefully cleaned it again.

Last night I put a fresh coat of paint on the radiator. I used black gloss Rustoleum appliance enamel. I used the same paint for the fan shroud too, it turned out okay.

I filled the transmission, front axle assembly and both front outer gear drives with JD HD guard transmission/hydraulic fluid.

Today I installed the radiator and fuel lines, fired the engine up and let it run for about 20 minutes, no leaks anywhere.

I've made a new video of the B7100 and posted it on YouTube just a couple of hours ago.

Attachments

Last edited:

Grumpy560

Equipment
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
Well, I've gone and made a huge mess on the garage floor. Due to rusty joints on the metal lines I thought for sure something was going to break. I've been soaking everything with PB blaster for over a week now.

So last night I used my heat gun and everything came off without breaking. I marked all 8 hoses so I'll know how the new ones go on.

I've decided that the easiest way for me to do this is to assemble the loader one part at a time. I've already installed the towers and loader frame back onto the tractor.

I did order 8 new hydraulic hoses this morning and hope they make it here before next weekend.

Attachments

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Are you going to leave the cylinders black or take them orange?

I'd also recommend, while you're at all this, fabricating a built on bucket safety bar so you can raise the bucket, engage the safety and it can't possibly lower. Not that you'll have to dig into the engine anytime soon, but they are nice to have when you are working on the motor or anything up front! :D