3901 HST FEL Hydraulics

cn2redjeep

Equipment
L3901, tiller, finish mower, pallet forks, rear blade
Mar 27, 2015
Illinois
New L 3901 HST has very disappointing FEL hydraulics. Won't even lift the rear of the tractor off the ground. I have no ballast, and no fluid in the rear tires. I can't crowd into a pile of aggregate, curl the bucket, and raise the load for transport. I have rented Kioti, and 1 other brand tractor of similar size and weight, and never found loading and lifting a loaded bucket to be an issue.
And of course the dealer says gosh we never have issues with these tractors.
Sorry to say if issue isn't resolved during my 50 hour service in a couple weeks I will consider trading
I am going to put my forks on and see how many square of shingles I can handle, then see if it's anywhere near the published capacity of the FEL.
Just wondering if anyone has comments, or suggestions.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Fifty hour service should include a hydraulic check.if not, insist they test,adjust pressure. I am guessing it will lift 800 to 1100 lbs depending on bucket/fork or what ever apparatus you are using. Im thinking your suspicions are correct. It should lift a bucket full of gravel. ,unless you have a huge bucket.
Loader manual should give you specs on all capacity.

Last edited:

KBinCT

Nov 16, 2014
Ledyard, CT USA
My L3901's FEL seems to lift just fine. I've moved some crushed stone and some pretty big rocks with it and it's lifted right up. I have a BH77 on the tractor so it won't lift the rear tires. Hope you get it straightened out.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
I have the L3301 HST. Smaller engine but same hydraulics as yours. This weekend I picked up and relocated a 1200 pound lathe with no problems. I was lifting at the pins on the FEL and have the backhoe for ballast but the FEL never balked.

I would bet the pressure is not set correctly.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
this machine have a 3 point lever,perhaps its sapping hydraulic power?lever all the way up will reduce fel's power.
if its one o them new fangled machines with nothin but buttons,than ignore this.