L4310GST Fuel Tank Removal

Mykel

Equipment
L4310GST,Rhino FEL w/grapple kit,Gearmore 6' Box, Rhino RPHD
Mar 22, 2015
YANKEE HILL
Hello All,

I've been lurking for a bit but never posted. I have had my tractor for about 10 years but have never had to dig into like this. My fuel tank sprung a leak, and I have been trying to remove the tank with little success. I think my last step is to remove the shift linkage for the Forward/Reverse shifter, but I have no clue how to do that. I have the firewall(not sure if that's the correct term) completely disconnected, but the shift linkage is keeping me from moving it out of the way enough to pull the fuel tank out. It looks there is some sort of pin holding the linkage on, but I can't get to it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!:)

Thanks, Mike

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is the pic of the bolts that need removed to get the tank out.
The firewall (#150 ) is called a shutter plate. :)

If you need to remove the dash to get to the bolts and you also need to remove the lower section of the shuttle shaft it has 2 roll pins (#170, #190) one inside the other, remove the inner one first.

Attachments

Mykel

Equipment
Mar 22, 2015
YANKEE HILL
That's awesome thank you!! Is there a special tool that I need to remove pins 170 & 190? They are at such an angle that I can't really get at them with a punch.

Mykel

Equipment
Mar 22, 2015
YANKEE HILL
Just picked up a Roll Pin Punch set, hopefully that does the trick. Kubota doesn't make it easy to work on these things. :mad:

Mykel

Equipment
Mar 22, 2015
YANKEE HILL
Finally got the tank out, Roll Pin punches worked great. It finally donned on me that I had to prop up the dash assembly with a 2x4 to get the best access to the pins. I had to removed the framing that the tanks mounts to in order to get the tank out. Unless I wanted to disconnect all the hydraulic lines for the steering. I think the hydraulics for my FEL were in the way.

Anyhow, The fuel tank is pretty much shot, nothing but rust inside the tank on the bottom. I suppose I could have the bottom cut off and new stuff welded on?
JB Weld is out the question for sure.

Anyone know if there is a plastic aftermarket tank?

Thanks!:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You'll probably have a tough time finding a plastic tank that fits.

The product Russell mentions is an excellent fix. To get the rust in the tank loosened you can put a couple of coffee cups of misc. nuts (or a couple quarts of 3/4" rocks from your driveway) and bungee cord the tank to the rear tire of you lawn mower tire. Mow the lawn. When you're done mowing the tank will be clean. Rinse with water, power wash to get all "stuff" out, and seal.

Or, cement mixer, or anything else you can think of to aggitate the interior weights.

Mykel

Equipment
Mar 22, 2015
YANKEE HILL
There is a kit from POR 15 to clean and "paint" the interior of the tank.

See this link and see if it would work for the condition of your tank.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Kit_p_62.html
Thanks for that link, it looks like a great product. The hole in my tank is about the diameter of a pencil. I'm not sure if it can seal that up on it's own, but maybe I could use this kit to get the tank cleaned out, seal up the hole with JB Weld, and then use the sealer. I'll have to call them on Monday and see what size hole this can seal up, I can't find any spec's around that on their website.

Mykel

Equipment
Mar 22, 2015
YANKEE HILL
So looks like I'm going to wind up cutting off the bottom 3/4" or so of the tank and my neighbor will weld on a new bottom for me. Then I will use the repair kit mentioned earlier. Seems like the next best option to buying a new tank.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
So looks like I'm going to wind up cutting off the bottom 3/4" or so of the tank and my neighbor will weld on a new bottom for me. Then I will use the repair kit mentioned earlier. Seems like the next best option to buying a new tank.
Sounds like a good plan, and a *great* neighbor!