Zd28 help.. trans fluid

calponte

Equipment
zd28
May 26, 2015
Detroit Mi
Trying to figure out if the drives for each wheel have a seperate oil or if they share the oil with the transmission? What fluid does it take Super UDT ? My trans dipstick is saying the level is overfill. Do you check it running or off?

I just bought this thing so I'm trying to go over it and I don't know much about it.

Thanks for any help

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
The final drives are seperate on a ZD28, from the transmission. There's 2 drain plugs under the finals, near the frame, takes a 27mm wrench (1 1/16" will work also). The dipsticks for the final drives are on the top, near the frame also, one on the left hand side is between the frame and the fuel tank. Hyd oil level should be checked when machine is not running, oil cold. If your machine doesn't have it, I would suggest putting the reservoir tank on for the extra oil capacity, the first ZD's had transmission failures, partially because of lack of oil, or mowing on hillsides.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
If you have the extra tank, it would go from the fill plug next to the dipstick, to a tank under the right rear fender, with a small fill port sticking up past the rear of the fender. Your dealer should be able to get you the tank, it was a PSB that was released a few years ago.