Mystery Leak LA402 Loader

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Default Mystery Leak LA402 Loader
Hello everyone, I've got a question for all of you orange pros. I have a mystery leak coming from the FEL on the b2910. There is a few drops of oil appearing just below the loader valve. Last year we replaced the 4 lines going to the loader cylinders, we have not changed the in/out liner or the return line.

I've looked all over the loader valve area and can't seem to find the root to the leak. The return hose has a very small wet spot on it, therefore I think it has a miniature pin hole in it or something. The strange thing is, if you wipe everything clean it will stay dry for a week and then all of a sudden there is some fluid on the steel below the loader valve. I noticed it yesterday after moving a dozen buckets of top soil. Another spot I need to closely check is the loader cylinder packing, I gave it a quick look and it seemed dry.

All fittings are dry, relief valve is dry, as well as the two cylinders attached to the handle that move in and out in the spool. Sorry, I don't know the correct term for that. So it's not coming from the valve itself or any quick couplings.

Is the return line going to the rear tank always pressurized?
School me in why it has a return line, I thought it was an open center system?

If you guys need pictures I can snap some tomorrow.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How many lines (besides the 4 for the loader) does the Spool Valve (loader Valve) have coming and going?
If it has 2 lines then it's not really a tank return, it's more of a power beyond as it powers the three point, so it would be high pressure all the time.
If it has 3 lines then it could be low pressure tank return or high pressure Power beyond.
In either case yes it can leak if it has a hole in it. ;)

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA

Thanks Wolfman, I'm going to change all three just for good measure :p. The part I don't get if it is pressurized, it should leak all the time while running and working, just not a small amount on Tuesdays and Saturdays.:confused: The manual describes #80 as a return line, and it looks to go back to the tank... This is what's making me scratch my head. Does it have something to do with the float? Then again, we a rely use the float position....