Rebuilding the Front Differential - L2950

Staples

Equipment
L3190 Now, Sold the L2950, Rotary Cutter, Box Blade, Disc
May 24, 2015
Panama City, FL
www.facebook.com
Ok, so I bought a tractor at a great low price. It was what I could afford after buying 20 acres of timber land. I knew the 4WD was bad and I have zero mechanic experience on tractors and not much more on vehicles. But, I have the Internet and thank God for this forum. So the pinion gear splines are done. I'm determined to get the 4WD up next going well with the limited funds that I have; therefore, I must temporarily turn my wood working shop into a tractor shop. I will post pictures as I go and I welcome all advice and good time saving techniques. I've already made my first mistake by not really looking at the diagrams and took a bath in tran/ hydraulic fluid taking off the rear side of the shaft propeller. I'm over 50 and it didn't do anything to oil my joints -- still have all my creaks and squeaks. But, at least the yellow flies quit biting me. Hopefully this thread will help others. Green light, go! You can do it. :D

Staples

Equipment
May 24, 2015
Panama City, FL
www.facebook.com
Propeller Shaft

Well first off I thought propellers were on boats, not tractors. I removed it by knocking out the roll pin. Pretty basic: Take out the bolt flange p/n 01774-51016. Then remove the cover shaft to get to the roll pin. Once it's all on the table, it looks like this...

Attachments

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Critical part of re-assembly will probably be the bearing pre-load and gear backlash for the rear. Get a shop manual, and read it carefully. If it was me, I'd take the rear to a heavy truck mechanic and have him set all this up, so all you have to do is to put the little stuff back together. It takes some rather specialized tools and techniques that I am not comfortable, as a novice doing. If a good mechanic has all the numbers for setting up the rear(differential) in question, they won't charge you an arm and a leg, just to set up the rear...:D

Staples

Equipment
May 24, 2015
Panama City, FL
www.facebook.com
Critical part of re-assembly will probably be the bearing pre-load and gear backlash for the rear. Get a shop manual, and read it carefully. If it was me, I'd take the rear to a heavy truck mechanic and have him set all this up, so all you have to do is to put the little stuff back together. It takes some rather specialized tools and techniques that I am not comfortable, as a novice doing. If a good mechanic has all the numbers for setting up the rear(differential) in question, they won't charge you an arm and a leg, just to set up the rear...:D
Thank you - I had never heard of a "bearing pre-load" or a "gear backlash." I have some research to do.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sent you an email for the download of the WSM for that tractor.
I have the bigger brother, I think they are really easy to work on!;)

Notes:
Replace the coupler too, as it will be worn.
Yea I know you probably already knew that!
And for part #'s you can go to Kubota.com under illustrated parts.

Last edited:

Staples

Equipment
May 24, 2015
Panama City, FL
www.facebook.com
I'm in the process of removing the pinion bearing case and differential assembly as a unit from the front axle case. Does anyone have any techniques for separating the Pinion Bearing Case from the front axle case? I'm only been able to move it 1/4 of an inch. :mad: It's kicking my behind.

Staples

Equipment
May 24, 2015
Panama City, FL
www.facebook.com
North Idaho Wolfman - Thank you for your assistance VERY MUCH. If you're ever in FL - I'll buy you a beer. I'm removing now as I figured out the WSM is progressive on separating. Some days you're the windshield, somedays you're the bug. Yesterday I was the bug. :D

I'm trying to figure out how to drop bevel case off of the axel case. I have all the bolts out and disconnected the arms. I'm going to try sliding a stiff putty knife to separate the cases.

Staples

Equipment
May 24, 2015
Panama City, FL
www.facebook.com
All right, so I ordered the parts. Bushings, oil seals, spring pins, ow-rings, radial ball bearing, ring seals, pinion nut, more seals, more o-rings, collars, taper role bearings shims, bevel assay gears (417.93), and I'm replacing the tie rods. Total of $490.00 for the 4WD and another 530 for the tie rods. Not too bad all things considered - I just hope I get it all back together within specs.

Staples

Equipment
May 24, 2015
Panama City, FL
www.facebook.com
Well - I didn't do a very good job at photo documenting the process. Seems the iPhone doesn't like greasy oily hands. I did finish - Yea! Tractor is fully operational and I used it to help a friend do some work he'd been wanting to do by hand since 2006. It took 4 hours with a couple of 30 minute breaks. It would not have been possible without North Idaho Wolfman to whom I owe a huge thanks!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Well - I didn't do a very good job at photo documenting the process. Seems the iPhone doesn't like greasy oily hands. I did finish - Yea! Tractor is fully operational and I used it to help a friend do some work he'd been wanting to do by hand since 2006. It took 4 hours with a couple of 30 minute breaks. It would not have been possible without North Idaho Wolfman to whom I owe a huge thanks!
Great to hear!