TLB L35 hydraulic noise

BlueRiver

Equipment
1994 TLB 35, 16", 24"buckets, forks, 8' blade, rototiller
May 25, 2015
Whitehorse, Yukon
Hi folks, I'm a newbie to this forum. I've had my tractor for nearly 10 years and I don't know how I would have gotten along without it. Its like my horse.

Anyway she started making a high pitched noise last winter when I switched from the quick release backhoe to a snow blade. It was intermittent. Then last summer while back filling the noise became steady. I shut her down and now, this year, she wont stop screaming. i have changed the oil, replaced the hydraulic filter, and poured over the manual suspecting the relief valve.

Read the article about the suction line from this site, but I not sure if mine has a suction screen. There is a banjo fitting on the right hand side wherre hydraulic line appears to enter transmission. Wondering if there is a screen there and if cleaning it will solve my problems.

I pray it isn't the pump but the noise is coming from the front end- guessing pump is starved. Forgot to mention, bucket moving slow and 3 pt hitch lift arms not moving at all.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

jayclmnt

Equipment
Kubota RTV 900, John Deere x475
May 25, 2015
Frye Island,Maine
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like a pump problem. But let's start with basic repairs. Check to make sure that there are no kinks in the hoses. If not refer the the user manual on how to bleed the hoses, as there might be air in the loop. If that doesn't work then it's time for a dealer visit. Hope this helps, and good luck! Also how manny hours are on your machine?

BlueRiver

Equipment
May 25, 2015
Whitehorse, Yukon
I've got 2700 hrs. Last year broke a hose and had to replace. I didn't bleed the line just drained the rest of the fluid and put in new hydraulic fluid. She ran fine.

Considered pump but before proceeding down that road wanted to confirm that I hadn't left any other possibility out, like plugged screen. But dont know if mine has such a screen or perhaps other filter?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No other screen, just the one spin on filter.
I don't know that I would just right at the pump being bad, not saying it's not a bad pump, but there are other things involved.
How is the steering acting?
How is the transmission shifting?
If both those are good it could simply be something in the regulator valve or maybe a bad seal on the suction side of things.
First check the hoses and seals.
Then check the regulator valve
then I would send the pump to be tested and rebuilt or replaced.

Attachments

BlueRiver

Equipment
May 25, 2015
Whitehorse, Yukon
Steering and shifting okay. Up until recently the lift arms were okay but them not working is a recent development.
The diagrams are very helpful. Thank you.

Trying to figure out best approach. Likely have to drain the system. I did notice that there was a little too much hydraulic fluid. L may have overfilled. it shows about a 1/4 in above the max line.

Last edited:

BlueRiver

Equipment
May 25, 2015
Whitehorse, Yukon
Here's some great news, the problem seems to have fixed itself, I hope!

I decided to attache the hoe so I could get ground clearance for drain buckets. The tractor was screaming like a tuck pig. I shut off the engine when I was close to the hoe, hooked up the lines, switched the routing lever in the back from 3 point hitch to backhoe and started the engine. To my delightful surprise the screaming was gone. In fact I moved the machine about. stopped undid the hoses, started the tractor in 3 point hitch and still no screaming.

I am really happy because everything works and I wont have to be shopping for a pump.:)

But the screaming didn't go away entirely. When I tried to pop the rear hydraulic lines with the engine running she started again. At times it started as a whine and the, I think, as pressure built up it was full on screaming. I would shut off the engine and hook up the hydraulic lines and when the engine started, the noise was gone.

I am hoping this is something normal, likely pressure relief valve?:)

Anyone else experience this?

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
When you unhook the backhoe hydraulics you need to hook the lines on the tractor back into themselves or it's just going to dead head the pump and make the terrible noise you are hearing.

BlueRiver

Equipment
May 25, 2015
Whitehorse, Yukon
I have had my Kubota for almost 10 years and very familiar with its operation. When I disconnect backhoe I always reconnect to hydraulic line and shift lever to 3 point hitch.

What I was experiencing never happened before, and I am suspicious of contamination in the hydraulics affecting valves. The tractor would whine if I tried to hook up the line while the engine was running and typically the pressure would build until I shut the machine off. I had trouble prying off the lines because of pressure build up.

The noise I heard recently sounded similar but became a ear piercing scream with the additional loss of lift arms, overheating, and loss of power.

Thanks for your comment.

Last edited: