L3400 crankcase vent

Dan Williamson

Equipment
L3400F
Jul 1, 2012
Pride, LA
I think this may have happened last time, and I just didn't ask about it. When I pop the oil pan drain plugs, it drains reeeeaaal slow until I pull the dipstick. That tells me the crankcase is somehow not venting properly. It's just a hose from the rocker cover to a tee downstream of the air filter. Anyone else seen this before? The engine has less than 300 hours, and I just changed the air filter last year. (Mr. Moderator, I would have searched the forum for this, but the SEARCH dialogue entry box would not stay open.)

Also, I've always wondered why the front axle pivot joint (2WD) has no grease fittings. The tractor is on the order of 10 years old. Should I disassemble and lube that thing?

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I have almost the same tractor (L3700SU) and mine is the same way when draining the oil. I normally pull the dipstick out a few inches. I know this is not what you ask so I wait for the others to come along.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
There are various species of flies that like to make mud nests in tubes of about that size. I've not had one in my breather tube yet, but have in the water discharge of an outboard motor.

Not sure what to tell you on the front axle pivot. It would be nice to get some lube in there. There was a thread here where someone D&T'ed theirs for zerks, but I'm not sure whether that's advisable or not.

henrysbe

Equipment
l3400 woods bh80 backhoe post hole digger brush hog box blade rototiller
Jun 26, 2011
Sedro Woolley wa
I have the same problem, but I remove the oil filter while the drain plugs are removed and have no problem draining. I felt that the crankcase has to be somewhat sealed to stop dirt and grit from getting in. Tractors are exposed to a lot more pollution than a car.

The front axle has oil in it to lubricate the gear train and pivot inside. The replacement interval I believe is 400 hr.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
It sounds normal to me. The finger on top of the straw - so to speak. I've noticed this and even use the dipstick as something to help me slow the draining until I have everything in place to capture it. Then pull the plug to speed things up.
I think you are good to go.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it's normal. Bugs can't clog the crankcase vent, well, because it's a CCV system. CCV=closed crankcase vent, meaning the "tube" that comes off the valve cover goes to the intake manifold, where any crankcase fumes would be burnt during normal combustion instead of vented to the atmosphere.

Yes! Lube the pivots. ESPECIALLY if it's got a front end loader. The loader also makes it easy to drop the axle and to remove the holders. While they're off, drill, tap, and install a grease fitting. I guess they didn't put fittings on the 2wd models because they don't generally see the loading that the double traction tractors do.

Last edited: