b2150 hydrostatic replacement

PW1967

Equipment
1993 kubota b2150hsd, fel, back hoe, log spliter
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
So this is my first post here, lot of good infro on this site, so I hope its productive, but anyway I have come to the conclusion that my hydro trans in in need of repair, slow and week ground speed, and whining under load, the rest of the attachments work well, FEL, Back hoe and power steering that run off the engine pump. I have performed the basic fluid and filter and cleaning strainer but not much difference. I did call dealer about a replacement and was told that one is no longer available. I am looking for some leads on a good used one, used one with parts, or any infro on rebuilding the one I got since I may not have much of a choice in the matter. I do plan on getting a shop manual to help aid in this project, and when I do get it disassembled, its got to go back together since I cant afford to have this tractor in pieces in my shop.
This is really a good running 1993 kubota with the 4 cyl. engine and would like to save it as much as possible. So any infro or leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PW1967

Equipment
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
Any recommendations on a shop manual, are the downlaoded versions any good, Its like 10.00 for a down load and 80 to 180 for a regular shop manual, so just looking for one that's going to give me the infro I need, for splitting tractor and maybe even going inside the hydro.

PW1967

Equipment
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
I got my tractor split and split the hydro unit today, thought I would post a few pics, I did notice valve plates were discolored and fine scratches, I haven't got the piston pump and motor out yet but will check them as well, I really don't have an eye for this sort of thing but welcome any input, thanks

Attachments

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
That looks very normal, nothing wrong at this point in pics and progress, keep them coming.:)

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Any recommendations on a shop manual, are the downlaoded versions any good, Its like 10.00 for a down load and 80 to 180 for a regular shop manual, so just looking for one that's going to give me the infro I need, for splitting tractor and maybe even going inside the hydro.
I will see what I can find, I have the entire manual set for mine I got as a file from another member here but that link is no longer good but I have it downloaded in a file on one of my backup jump drives, If I find it I will PM you for an e-mail address to try and send to you.
I printed the entire thing so I have it in paper form............I am old school I guess lol.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Not sure but it looks like one of the bronze valve plates (the pump plate?) may have erosion damage at the ports? (see pic markup).

There is a related multi-page discussion on TractorByNet of a similar condition. In particular see this post by TBN member dfkrug. He's experienced in B-series HST's and would be a source of good info.

I think the actual part in your picture can still be bought new (66363-39910). The underlying cause may be excess heat-up of the oil due to something else. Need to deal with that for a complete fix.
Good luck, Dick B

Last edited:

PW1967

Equipment
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
I will see what I can find, I have the entire manual set for mine I got as a file from another member here but that link is no longer good but I have it downloaded in a file on one of my backup jump drives, If I find it I will PM you for an e-mail address to try and send to you.
I printed the entire thing so I have it in paper form............I am old school I guess lol.
thanks W&f, I did down load a manual from www.servicemanualvault.com its ok I guess, but if you know of a better one I would be happy to see it, the one I have the pics are of poor quality and a some of it is fairly generic,

PW1967

Equipment
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
Not sure but it looks like one of the bronze valve plates (the pump plate?) may have erosion damage at the ports? (see pic markup).

There is a related multi-page discussion on TractorByNet of a similar condition. In particular see this post by TBN member dfkrug. He's experienced in B-series HST's and would be a source of good info.

I think the actual part in your picture can still be bought new (66363-39910). The underlying cause may be excess heat-up of the oil due to something else. Need to deal with that for a complete fix.
Good luck, Dick B
thanks and good eye, I really need my cheaters on to give these parts a good visual, I read that post on TBN, all 13 pages and that was a source of great information, I really enjoyed reading that, thanks for sharing it,

I will have some time to remove the piston motor and pump this afternoon, I will keep you guys updated with what I see.

PW1967

Equipment
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
I removed pump motor and found the dowel pin sheared and scared up the housing a little, I don't know if this is a cause of my loosing hydraulic pressure, along with the piston valve plate, but I'm sure it don't help, The rest looks good to me, the pistons fit snug in the bores and I will check if within tolerance, I believe to be .0008 inch, also the piston slippers look good and flat and no scarring. The piston pump seemed to be good and clean also, Some pics posted of what I found so far.

Attachments

PW1967

Equipment
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
I put my parts in a box and took them to the Kubpta dealer, I don't have the tools are capability of measuring these kind of tolerance. The Kubota tech. said the sheered dowel pin on the fixed motor cylinder swash plate was the main cause of the week power, and the heat and wear just escalated from there. He said if I were to let him rebuild it he would have to replace everything that had even the slightest wear, whether it needed it or not just because they are a dealer and thats the way they are and cant afford the liability of it coming back. and I would probably be in it over 4000 grand, So I told him I have a lead on a used one for 1500, and he agreed that would probably be a better option.

So I took it by where I work and let one of the heavy equipment tech.s look at it after filling him in on some of the replacement cost, he just looked at me and said replace the dowel pin, and clean it up and go with it,

So I guess I need to figure out the best way to clean up the valve plates I think they should clean up fine if I can find the right products to use, like 600 grit of finer sand paper, I really don't know yet, so if anybody got any ideas let me know.

PW1967

Equipment
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
Why not change the parts that are damaged?
One valve plate is 500. bucks, the other is around 150 or so, They look to only have slight wear. so why not try to clean them up. As you can see in the pic, the piston pump valve plate has some erosion but still plenty of surface wear left, and that's the expensive one.

Attachments

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US
I'm looking for the wsm for the b2150 any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
...........So I took it by where I work and let one of the heavy equipment tech.s look at it after filling him in on some of the replacement cost, he just looked at me and said replace the dowel pin, and clean it up and go with it..............
The broken pin definitely explains the loss of power. Without it the pump isn't staying registered with the valve plate.

Sounds like shining everything up with 800 or finer (crocus cloth), cleaning thoroughly, replacing the pin, etc. is a reasonable way to proceed. Can you post a couple closer-ups of the pump seal plate? Is there any way to tell how the pin failed? Did it break? Did you find all of it? Are its holes undamaged? That took a lot of force to fail - be on the lookout for related damage somewhere else. Clean everything well - needs to be spotless going back together. Best luck Dick B

PW1967

Equipment
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
The broken pin definitely explains the loss of power. Without it the pump isn't staying registered with the valve plate.

Sounds like shining everything up with 800 or finer (crocus cloth), cleaning thoroughly, replacing the pin, etc. is a reasonable way to proceed. Can you post a couple closer-ups of the pump seal plate? Is there any way to tell how the pin failed? Did it break? Did you find all of it? Are its holes undamaged? That took a lot of force to fail - be on the lookout for related damage somewhere else. Clean everything well - needs to be spotless going back together. Best luck Dick B
That's exactly what I did with the valve plates. I started with 600 and worked up to 1000 grit. I will post some before and after pics along with some others.
I am not seeing any further damage, but working on cleaning everything up. The pin did shear and break and left some scarring on the housing (should be able to see in previous pics) but should clean up fine.

PW1967

Equipment
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
OK, here is some pics hopefully you can blow them up to see better detail, the kubota tech, gave me some tips on bench testing the cylinders, kind of a generic way of doing it, but mine passed the test. The one valve plate is still questionable, I might see about taking it to a machine shop to resurface it, or worse case is to spend the 500 bucks on a new one. ouch!!

to perform a vacuum test on the cylinders, I just closed the valve end with one finger, and by using my other hand and closing the hole in piston, and sliding it upward I felt a good suction on my finger.

Attachments