My First Tractor/L1501

Tractor Mac

Apr 8, 2016
N,O, LA, USA
My First Tractor/L1501 needs tweeking

After years of wanting one I finally bought my first tractor, a L1501. It started out the gate great. However after about 12 hrs on it some problems are coming to the surface. First as popular as Kubotas are I thought it would be easy to find a manual....that's when I discovered what a "grey model" was. Most of the filters are clearly visible but I'm sure there are few things I'm going to miss without a guide of some kind. The alternator is no longer putting out(not sure if it ever did) and I'd like to convert it to a single wire(the connector for the three wire is so degraded I'm afraid to unplug it) Now I'm having trouble with the hydraulic lift arms working intermittently. Any assistance/pointers/or help of any kind would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mac

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Welcome to the site :D The l1501 is a great little tractor. And don't worry that it's a grey market. You just have to do things slightly different. Instead of ordering parts at the dealer using the model number. You just need to order the parts with a part number instead. Dealer doesn't need to know what tractor the part is going on.

Here's a link to where you can get the part manual. Download the part manual for the L185. It's the north American equivalent ;)

http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoInde...s/&AutoIndex=b98a7b0d132d25121e96dfaab287c3f2

Now your tractor has a creeper mode. That lever is the one that is sideways on top of the transmission. It has L N H. Put it in low and it gives you 8 more gears of super slow speeds :D Bear in mind though, that reverse only works in one of the low ranges. So if your in creeper mode and can't get the tractor to go in reverse, move the hi/low shifter to the left of the seat into the opposite position and then try reverse again. :D

I'll send you a personal message (upper right corner of the page under your name) with a link to the work shop manual :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Hey, welcome to the forum. I also have the L1501.
Odd what daren mentioned about reverse, mine reverses in low/low. Its painfully slow though.
One thing i really like about these tractors is the gearing.

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
mine to have 3 reverse speeds, and as others said no problem with parts and other things.
as for the alternator just restore it, why to change it to a single wire?

Tractor Mac

Apr 8, 2016
N,O, LA, USA
Thanks Daren, Frank and Alexisferos,
I have been for the past few months figuring out the gearing on my1501 and thought I had it figured out then I found another lever on left hand side of the seat that changed the gearing once again. I'll get it figured out. And ya'll are right this is one working little tractor but I can only bounce around on it for about 4 maybe 5 hrs before I have to take a day off to recuperate.Thanks so much for the manuals I know I'm going to need them at some point soon. I never thought about just having the old alternator rebuilt that is an option but I still have the issue with the alternator plug on the wiring harness being in such bad shape. Any suggestions on the lift arms working intermittently?
Thanks again it is so great to have such a vast pool of knowledge all in one place.
Mac