Switching to Ag tires from R4 industrial

Firemedic

Equipment
ZD331, TLB48, M8540, RTV900
Nov 16, 2009
Hagerstown MD
I have a Kubota L48 (TLB48) which comes with R4 industrial tires. I have found R4 tires to be useless in the snow, requiring chains to go anywhere.
The L48 does not list an option for Ag tires however I have found that the L4060 and L4701 list an option for R4 tires in my size (10-16.5 front) and (17.5-24 rear)
The R1 Ag tire is a (8.3-16 Front) and (14.9-24 Rear)
I have been to several Kubota dealers and they seems less that willing to order these for me, their answer to to run tire chains.
My friend has one tractor with R1 and the same tractor with R4's and the difference is significant.
Does anyone have any ideas on the switch? I have checked the load ratings and the R1's will handle the weight, however I would switch back to the R4's when I put the backhoe back on when winter is over.
I realize I'll need new rims, is there a good source for aftermarket?
Thanks for any ideas

Mike

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
The dealers unwillingness is due to buying them back and the rolling radius issue. And them selling you a non approved setup opens them for repairing whatever it tears up.

You could take it to an Ag tire repair place and have them figure your rolling radius and then they could order you a set of wheels with the proper offset, pilot size, bolt spacing and R1 tires that will work without tearing up the front wheel assist.

Pat

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
From what I understand turf's will suit you best in the snow. More surface area. Any ice you encounter will need chains. They'll fit best on turfs, flop around on r'4s or r'1s

I have a set of turfs (and chains) for winter use, lawn work and a set of r'1s for my rough terrain.

R4's can be compared to an all season tire. a little good at everything, not great at one thing. To hell with em I say. :p

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
You could try grooving them like I did these - they haven't seen snow yet, but the grooves will grab more snow than non.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Going to ag tires might help a little in deep snow, but won't do much for you on packed snow or ice. Chains are going to be your best bet for that. The town that I live in has the lugs siped on the wheel loaders that they use to clear snow. Won't work as well as chains, but that might be another possible option.

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
Mike9, first of all great looking tractor! Second of all, did you notice any difference when driving the tractor around in the summer/dirt/rocks? Does anything around your yard get stuck in those grooves anymore than usual? Because that sounds like a really great idea and I might try that. But I drive my tractor around in the dry grass/dirt a heck of a lot more than I would in the snow..

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Mike9, first of all great looking tractor! Second of all, did you notice any difference when driving the tractor around in the summer/dirt/rocks? Does anything around your yard get stuck in those grooves anymore than usual? Because that sounds like a really great idea and I might try that. But I drive my tractor around in the dry grass/dirt a heck of a lot more than I would in the snow..
I noticed an increase in traction mostly from the rears on grass, dirt, loam, etc., but since I purchased the R4's I've found an AG type tread for the fronts so if these don't work out this winter I'll go with those next year and sell these. I haven't used 4wd yet with these as I rarely need it except in winter which is why I grooved the tires.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
I have an L3710 with R4's that I bought already siped from the prior owner. I have been pretty impressed with those vs stock R4's. I had Turf's on my B9200 and I can confirm that turfs with chains or even turfs without work well in most types of snow and will not destroy your lawn or driveway like an Ag tire would.

Siping your tires is a pretty cheap option to try, just buy one online (I see them as cheap as $50) and do them yourself.