Click Clank noise when backing up ??

TN Road Dog

Equipment
L3301HST with FEL, BB1266, FDR1672
Sep 19, 2016
Somerville, TN USA
I'm new to tractors as well as a new member of Orange Tractor Talks.
I have a two month old L3301HST, I was backing up yesterday after an oil change, no implements attached, I could hear a low level noise while backing up. Sounds like a click clank click.

I also made a brake adjustment as the pedal seemed to have a little too much free travel. I backed off on my adjustment to as it was, but noise was still there. The sound is similar to what I have heard on trailer brakes that have a broken brake spring. Thats why I mention the attempted brake adjustment. I have on two occasions, started movement of the tractor with parking brake on but realized by the sound of the HST whine I forgot to release the P brake.

Can anyone say if this noise is normal while backing or could I have brake or other problems?
:confused:

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
The first thing to check is easy. Your wheel lugs may be loose. They will make a bunch of different sounds. Don't count on the dealer having gotten them tight enough when they assembled the tractor.

TN Road Dog

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Somerville, TN USA
I may have solved my on mystery on the noise I hear while backing up.
After doing some research on wet brakes, the disk in wet brakes are known to bump together causing a click or clank noise when the wheel is in motion.
When looking at a cutaway view of how wet brakes work it is understandable.
With any luck, this is what I hear and there is nothing wrong.
FYI, the noise was very slight clatter at idle in midrange slowly backing up, could not detect at higher ground speeds.
trying to be optimistic but wisely alert at the same time. If I'm correct, perhaps this may be of some value to someone else.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Be sure to post back if that is the case.

My suggestion would be to make sure your 4wd is completely disengeged or engaged. I've had a similar sound when my level was not completely in or out and in reverse unheard the gears touching. Made men nervous at first but figugred it out pretty fast.

TN Road Dog

Equipment
Sep 19, 2016
Somerville, TN USA
KENB2920,
I have been guilty of not being fully disengaged with 4WD. I believe I was fully disengaged when I heard the noise, however, I'll keep that in mind and check that next time on the tractor.
Thanks, for your thoughts
TN Road Dog

Haylough

Equipment
L3410
Oct 29, 2016
Rogers, Mn. USA
Ok, I'll try this again. Hi, first post here, I also just got a Kubota (love it). So I was also getting this clink clank, so I started touching and feeling for things around me that might be clinking. When going in reverse I happened to touch and hold the connector pins on the ROPS, and the clink clank stopped when I wasn't holding the pins the clink clank was back. Hopefully your noise will be this simple, but give it a try. Let me know your results. Sounds to easy and stupid,, but..