Tractor size for 2 acres in NC

kbrooks

May 24, 2019
Maggie Valley, North Carolina
I've read so many posts so I'm going to try to make this one short and simple:

Looking to buy tractor... not sure what size would be best

Uses:
Pulling 1/2 - 2 ton trucks around shop (I own a light duty truck shop)

Loading and unloading pallets from truck (engines, transmissions, etc.)

Finish mowing (now ~1 acre, eventually ~1.5 acres)

Cutting a road and grading for new small home construction
(looking to start building a small cabin on vacant lot next year)

Moving logs (firewood and small millwork)

Moving large rocks for landscaping

Turning unused/neglected lot into manicured lawn

Spreading gravel, mulch, topsoil, etc.

Loading and unloading building materials

I need to dig some trenches for running different utilities and also for drainage repair but I think I can bunch all of that work up for a weekend excavator rental. then just use the tractor/box blade to smooth dirt after

I'm trying to keep total cost with implements around 20k +/- 3k, I know there is a few thousand $ swing in price depending on where you go so I'm trying to make it easy to make suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your guys help

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Unloading of materials, rocks, engines and such, take a B right out of the picture, too small too light.

Knowing what I know about building materials, Large L or MX is better suited to those operations.
Even then building materials can just be too dang heavy to unload as a bundle, most of the time you'll have to break it down.

Now a L or an MX make a lousy mower, just too big, get a riding mower to do that task.

A backhoe is a nice implement but they are expensive, so ditch it and rent when you need to do that.

To keep in you budget your going to need to look at used, or spend a little more money and get new.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Honestly you would probably make out better with a good low hour older model skid loader for everything you mentioned except mowing that's where a good used zero turn would come in handy. You're going to have to shop around but probably will be able to stay close to your price range. Good luck

kbrooks

May 24, 2019
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't really considered a skid steer.

Ive been looking/talking to the dealer about an L2501, loaded R4's with a box blade, pallet forks, and a finish mower (FDR1660). Rebates going on right now

I would like to just have one machine if possible, (my current MTD mower is on its last leg) so a the simplicity of a 3 point hitch mower is enticing.

Since I maintain and repair things for a living I would like to have at least a piece of equipment that doesn't require constant work.

But I trust you guys more than the salesman at the dealer. Nobody wants buyers remorse so I'm being very cautious. If its a general consensus that an l2501 wouldn't work than I have no problem walking away and looking at other options

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I mow an acre with my L2501 and FDR1660 in about 40 minutes. It's a breeze. Start looking for the finish mower on Craigslist. I got mine for $600 and had to buy new wheels but it was way less than new. Folks wind up getting a zero turn and sell their finish mower. I don't want another machine either and am very happy with my setup. Having Top and Tilt hydraulics really helps mowing. See this thread on using L2501 and a finish mower using a QH15 floating top link. And see this thread on why you should order 2 sets of rear hydraulics (one float valve) when you buy your tractor.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
as mentioned above, your limiting factor will be using the loader as a forklift. It all depends on what weights you're really looking at to load/unload.

All of Kubota's loaders (model numbers) indicate what they will lift to full height (in kg. so multiple by 2 or 2.2 to give you estimated lift in lbs). The loader number as an example (LA534) indicates that the loader is supposed to lift 534 kg to full height at the bucket pins. Now, you have to deduct for the SSQA, and the forks themselves. They generally will lift more, but may not be able to reach full height at increased weight.

Top B series is the LA534 loader. Most of the small frame L's (01 series) use the LA525 loader. I think you need to move up in tractor size substantially to be anywhere near 3/4 to 1 ton.

Depending on what kind of trucks you work on, you may need much more lift capacity. The skid steer option would likely bet better suited as others have already mentioned.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
An L2501 will probably do what you describe. A B2650 would do most of it as well.

You can lift engines (assuming they're less than 400kg or so), and pretty much any tractor will drag trucks around a flat workshop (but not lift them).

Mowing with a 3ph mower any will do. Moving dirt, logs etc, again pretty much any tractor will do, obviously the bigger the tractor the bigger the load.

Then you're down to budget.

Do you have the option to borrow or rent and try it out to make sure?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK I have several machines to do all that and far less than 20K in them. I use an 'outdoor-big tired' A-C forklift for lifting 5000# 'things' and moving trailers/pickups at the shop, as well as placing logs onto Norwood sawmill. Have a couple A-C D-14 tractors for 'gardening' details..plowing,tilling,etc. Old rider to cut the grass, another setup JUST for snowblowing.
While it may seem 'silly' to have so many vehicles on 1 acre, I don't have to change implements(PITA) when I need to move this or haul that, I just get the job done PDQ !
I bought my BX23S last year as a bday gift to me and it's my fun machine. Used mainly to mox/haul mulch/compost for garden details and trenching. Garden is 60*400 so big tractors were a 'pain',esp. with a full loader up front.

Might be an option to consider ?

Jay

kbrooks

May 24, 2019
The majority of powertrain components that I actually need to lift/unload are all less than 900lbs. And like PaulL mentioned, most tractors could pull trucks in/out/around a shop. Which is exactly what I do. Its just a PITA using my full size 1 Ton truck because of obvious maneuverability issues.

I see benefits of having different machines but with quick attach front implements and quick hitch rear implements, its hard to beat.

Could an L2501 tow a 12000 lbs truck around a gravel parking lot?

I wish I could borrow or rent one, but I as many posts as I've read on this site...

I'm not planning on doing anything with this machine that somebody on here has not already done. which again is why I appreciate all of your insight.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Unloading of materials, rocks, engines and such, take a B right out of the picture, too small too light.

Knowing what I know about building materials, Large L or MX is better suited to those operations.
Even then building materials can just be too dang heavy to unload as a bundle, most of the time you'll have to break it down.

Now a L or an MX make a lousy mower, just too big, get a riding mower to do that task.

A backhoe is a nice implement but they are expensive, so ditch it and rent when you need to do that.

To keep in you budget your going to need to look at used, or spend a little more money and get new.
Exactly. A add on backhoe on a smaller tractor is nothing but a work toy. Best bet for laying pipe or electrical is rent a trencher from say Black Swamp Rentals for a day and cut your trench with that. 10 times quicker, 10 times less messy and 10 times easier to backfill.

Think I'd look around for a used L5030 or even an M6800 which is a large frame unit (as in stout). DT's are okay but expect to be doing clutches. I prefer the hydraulic shuttle models myself, no dry clutch or in the case of a 5030 Grand L, a hydrostat.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
It goes counter to what many people believe, but bigger is better. My largest tractor so far has turned out to be the nicest mower. Below is a picture taken through the windshield of our L4240HSTC while mowing. It makes less of a track than our Ford 1210, even though it weighs 3X as much.

The darker stripe at the edge of the cut grass isn't a track. It's a small windrow left by the 6' LandPride RFM I was using at the time. When the grass is juicy and I'm cutting 3" or so off the top, I need to mow clockwise so the deck grabs that line of clippings.

Attachments

kbrooks

May 24, 2019
It goes counter to what many people believe, but bigger is better. My largest tractor so far has turned out to be the nicest mower. Below is a picture taken through the windshield of our L4240HSTC while mowing. It makes less of a track than our Ford 1210, even though it weighs 3X as much.

The darker stripe at the edge of the cut grass isn't a track. It's a small windrow left by the 6' LandPride RFM I was using at the time. When the grass is juicy and I'm cutting 3" or so off the top, I need to mow clockwise so the deck grabs that line of clippings.
Thanks for the pic. That has been my biggest mental hurdle because its so hard to find before and after pics of finish mowing with larger/heavier tractors. But that looks great. Cutting down on mowing time is big deciding factor for me. I would love to get a new Land Pride 60" but it sounds like you can save some money and buy a used off brand and just fix it up a little bit.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Mowing with the new-to-me tractor this year. Bought the tractor in December, and just finished the restoration on a 91" RFM. First several mowings were with a 6' LandPride RFM. I'll admit to being concerned about the tractor leaving tracks and the wide mower scalping.

The tractor is very kind to the grass. Since switching to the 91" RFM there's one small scalp spot where a hole left by a rock removal was overfilled. There are a couple other "almosts" at the crest of a hill where the grass is cut really short, but no dirt was disturbed.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
How flat, how deep is the gravel> My guess is yes, in low ratio it'll pull just about anything with wheels on it. But if there's a bit of hill, or the gravel is deep enough to make pulling it tough, then maybe no. Still better to try one out at your place.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
The majority of powertrain components that I actually need to lift/unload are all less than 900lbs. And like PaulL mentioned, most tractors could pull trucks in/out/around a shop. Which is exactly what I do. Its just a PITA using my full size 1 Ton truck because of obvious maneuverability issues.

I see benefits of having different machines but with quick attach front implements and quick hitch rear implements, its hard to beat.

I wish I could borrow or rent one, but I as many posts as I've read on this site...

I'm not planning on doing anything with this machine that somebody on here has not already done. which again is why I appreciate all of your insight.
If you personally have a truck that big, I am sure the dealer would let you try something out on their lot. You'll want to be in low and 4WD. Give it 2000 RPM or so. I've hauled my 4000 lb SUV to my barn when the fuel pump went out. It was easy given my terrain so I think you'd be fine with 3x that with ideal conditions.

I've hauled my G5200 on my pallet forks before.. My rear tires are filled with liquid and her rear end came up just enough to need 4WD. The get light in the rear fast.

If you end up getting something bigger than the L2501 (that will have emissions equipment), I'd look into the L4701. Same physical size more or less as the little L so you'll have power, but maneuverability too. A few guys here have gotten exceptional deals on them because they are slow selling tractors as their basically the same price as the entry level MX.