Tipping trailer

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Hi,
A good while back, it was said here that I could work a hydraulic tipping trailer with the set-up currently on my L3450GST. I just can't get my head around it.
I have two sets of remotes. one of which I regularly use with the topper top link. That is a 2-way ram, so push lever one way ram goes out; push lever the other way ram comes in. I can't figure how this will work with a single action ram which is all I have ever seen on trailers here.
Thanks guys

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
We ran them on double acting remotes all the time when I was a kid. It works the same as if it were double acting except that the weight of the box pushes the fluid back from whence it came, rather than hydraulics. If you don't have enough weight, you can run into issues with it not coming back down, just like you do with your 3 point hitch.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
We ran them on double acting remotes all the time when I was a kid. It works the same as if it were double acting except that the weight of the box pushes the fluid back from whence it came, rather than hydraulics. If you don't have enough weight, you can run into issues with it not coming back down, just like you do with your 3 point hitch.
Cool. And to keep it tipped you just give a little dart to the lever?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep when you only use one line, of a 2 line system.

Fluid goes out that line when you activate the valve in one position.

In center position it allows no fluid flow through the valve thus locking the cylinder.

In the other position it vents/ free flows back to the tank. ;)

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
In the other position it vents/ free flows back to the tank. ;)
This is the part I'm having trouble with. Surely when you go to the other position you are pumping against a closed valve.
Sorry for the all the questions. On the Massey you just lifted the 3point linkage to the top and that gave constant pumping. This 30 year old modern machinery confuses me :D

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
With an single acting hydraulic s the pump is only involved with lifting. When you lower it gravity pushes the fluid back the same way it came. The fluid from the pump circulating through a bypass loop because you aren't using it. Assuming that you have open center hydraulics.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
With an single acting hydraulic s the pump is only involved with lifting. When you lower it gravity pushes the fluid back the same way it came. The fluid from the pump circulating through a bypass loop because you aren't using it. Assuming that you have open center hydraulics.
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to get some photos of what I have tomorrow. The remotes are connected through some fitment beside the lower speed control knob under the seat.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Ok, this is what I have. Does this look like it will work as you say?
under seat.jpg

valve levers (1).jpg

connectors.jpg

And at the front right there is a screw that has to be turned a quarter turn depending whether the loader is on or off the tractor.
Thanks