Please help ASAP

bulliebullybull

Jul 26, 2017
Beallsville Pennsylvania
Can’t get the coupler yoke off gear box to repair slip clutch. This is a woods rotary cutter 2126. Took bolt out and is fixed on a ridge. Im assuming there is a retainer pin in the bolt hole that won’t retract yes or no? What am I doing wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
hard to tell , but it looks a bit cock-eyed. Like one side is pulled out further than the other.

Do you have a gear puller or even a slide hammer? If so, shoot it with some penetrating oil and give it a few whacks.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
It does look crooked as dirtydeed has said. I'm thinking it's just stuck. Try and pound one side to get it straight to start, then try and work it off evenly.

And as bxray said....pour the penetrating fluid to it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It is possible that there is an internal, not visible, snap ring.

The same as exists on front drive vehicle axles.

To get it apart you need a slide hammer or even a chain with a heavy weight a so you can apply a shock load to cause the snap ring to release.

Pounding or prying wont free it.

Dave

Attachments

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
To me it doesn't look cockeyed. The loose plate is at an angle to the shaft and coupler. It looks dry, so some sort of lube or penetrant could help.

I've been using a method suggested on one of the tractor boards for loosening seized threaded parts for the past few years that may work for you. Heat the parts just to the point you can't touch them - not even near red hot. Then hold wax against the joint of the parts and allow it to wick in for a minute or so before trying to loosen them. Beeswax (toilet seal ring) seems to work better than candles for me.

The first time I tried it was while removing a cast aluminum fan blade that had steel set screws and was on a steel shaft. It was in a chicken house, so the atmosphere wasn't one that helped preserve metals. Since then a number of stuck nuts, a glad hand on an old flatbed trailer and other stuff yielded to the melted wax.

I used this method again recently and was able to remove all 20 nuts from the (headless) bolts holding the wheel halves together on the RFM I restored.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I suppose you've put generous amount of penetrating oil on shaft??? Does area of hub that bolt fits in have a split made in it? If so take a cold chisel & drive it down in split. This might spread hub enough to get it off. I seriously doubt there's an inner snap ring because bolt should fit in notch in shaft to hold hub in place.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looks to me like a 3 jaw puller would take it right off, if you've put you favorite rust solvent on it. Be sure to get some solvent in the hole where the bolt was that will get solvent deeper on the problem.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The cock=eyed look tells us it's not seized... (it DOES "wiggle" a bit right?)

Snap ring is likely the issue. Push the flange back onto the shaft firmly to see if the snap ring becomes visible. Use a blade to pry it open/off or compress it.
Forcing the flange off/over the ring isn't how I'd do it.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Do you have the owners manual? Usually the Woods owners manuals have a parts breakdown in the back that should show you if there is a snap ring that you can’t see.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Is it possible to move it further onto the shaft? Often I have driven hubs further onto the shaft and then lube the exposed shaft and move the hub toward the end of shaft. Repeat as often as necessary until it comes completely off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
there is no snap ring like on a CV axle. No need for it.

Soak it with Kroil oil or PB blaster - - Beat it back on, beat and spray if that doesn't get it - get out Mr. Bluenose and heat it. If that doesn't do it you can make a puller out of a bottle jack. Chain the jack to the flange and use a socket to press on the inner shaft.

bulliebullybull

Jul 26, 2017
Beallsville Pennsylvania
Got it off guys. It was literally just buggered on there. After the oil soak tapped on it somewhat gently in around the clock fashion. I am amazed how much better this rotary cutter runs now with new slip clutch rebuild. Smoother and quieter. Very worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk