Landscape Rake for leveling dirt

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
Recently purchased 5 acres which is only dirt and some grass at this point. I want to take the time to get as flat as possible to prep for a flat yard for mowing in the future. It has been disked several times and although it is much better it is not where I want it. I was thinking of getting a three point rake so I could spend time pulling it over the areas I’m not satisfied with. Anyone have luck doing this?

Also, the sand is still very soft even after a many different rain storms. I thought for sure it would have packed it down, but it didn’t seem to change it at all. Anything I could do for this issue?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Landscape rake is worthless for leveling.

Get a land plane, you'll have a yard so level that you'll be able to mow it at any speed you want.

And for the sand and such a lawn roller and a lot of water! ;)

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
Dang that’s what I need but they all seem to be made of gold lol. Guess I could try this with my box blade. Last time I used the box blade I wound up having little ruts from the tractor level changing.

GRTkub

Equipment
B2650 HSD
Mar 27, 2019
Ontario, Canada
For what it's worth - I have used a Woods landscape rake (with gauge wheels) to maintain my camp driveway and gravel road for 9 years on my BX25. Now I use it on my B2650. I didn't have any other 3 point attachments except a box blade and couldn't afford the extra $ for a land plane. My driveway into camp is 1/4 mile long and is mostly packed sand with a bit of grass here and there. I started out trying the box blade and I just couldn't get the hang of it. I tried the rake and found that I could do a nice job as long as the gauge wheels were set right. The added bonus is that the rake would pull up loose rocks, clumps of vegetation or branches and I could get rid of them.

The biggest drawback with the rake (for me) is that the ground needs to be a bit soft. Late spring or after a rain are when it works best. It will not dig into hard ground.

So if you can get your hands on a rake with gauge wheels it might be worth a try. In the end the rake has a lot of other uses too.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Dang that***8217;s what I need but they all seem to be made of gold lol. Guess I could try this with my box blade. Last time I used the box blade I wound up having little ruts from the tractor level changing.
Keeth - -

Since you have a BB, try making your top link longer, to the point that the front blade is 1/4" or so above the ground level (i.e., the box is tilted backwards).

It will be easier for smoothing that way. If you want it more aggressive for digging, shorten the top link. Making the ruts like you describe can be caused by having the top link too short for smoothing stuff out.

There is a knack to it, but with experience it will do fine. :cool:

The guys with land planes really like them, but since you have the BB, use it.

Last edited:

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
If the area has been run over with a disk, rototiller, plow, etc. and is broken up well or even if you have some sand or dirt that can be moved around I use an old box spring.

I look for them on the side of the roads either in ditches left for pickup or on back country roads where people toss them out.....I take them home and burn the covers off them and presto I have a drag. Tie chain to the corners and singles hook to my 4-wheeler. Dirt flows through them well and once in a while I'll stop and get the roots or limbs out that get caught up.

Works well in the garden as well smoothing out before planting small seeds.

You are not going to move much dirt with it but it does a fine job for smoothing out minor bumps. You can had some weight to them as well, couple small diameter trees laid across them and some big tie wraps to secure.

Just a thought and they are real cheap!

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Don't buy a rake and put gauge wheels on it.

Buy a box blade and put gauge wheels on it.

Bruce

Eic

Equipment
B2601, Box Blade, FDR 1660 finish mower, Rear blade, snow plow attachment
Jul 13, 2018
Enfield, NH, USA
For what it's worth - I have used a Woods landscape rake (with gauge wheels) to maintain my camp driveway and gravel road for 9 years on my BX25. Now I use it on my B2650.
I am a new B2601 owner and was considering a landscape rake. What size would you recommend? I see the sizes range from 5 feet on up.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I am a new B2601 owner and was considering a landscape rake. What size would you recommend? I see the sizes range from 5 feet on up.

Thanks.
I use a six footer on mine. That way when I angle it, it is still wider than the tire track.

Eic

Equipment
B2601, Box Blade, FDR 1660 finish mower, Rear blade, snow plow attachment
Jul 13, 2018
Enfield, NH, USA
Reasonable thought. Thanks for the suggestion.