Grapples: LP SGC0660 vs EA Wicked 55

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Hoping to order a B2650 soon and while I previously didn't think it was worth it to me, I've decided a grapple would be worthwhile to have. I highly doubt I'll ever be using it as a root rake. I mainly just want it for grabbing and moving brush and limbs, and assist with firewood prep. I'll probably think of other uses once I have it, but that's the bulk of it.

So I see the Land Pride is about 50# heavier, so I figure the weight difference isn't enough to strongly tip the scales one way or another. Pretty sure I'm going to finance the tractor though, at least for a while, so it's appealing to be able to roll the purchase of the Land Pride in with the tractor financing package. I'm guessing I'd also have it sooner.

Are there advantages with the EA enough to offset the perks of the Land Pride?

Thanks

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
You would probably have the LP sooner... But most of us are very happy with our EA implements. Just don’t forget to factor in the price of a diverter or 3rd function valve. And 3rd function is the way to go. Thousands of posts already on that choice so no need to go into it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Hoping to order a B2650 soon and while I previously didn't think it was worth it to me, I've decided a grapple would be worthwhile to have....
I can't comment on a LP grapple but the 55" EA I have works well, no complaints.

What version B2650, Rops or cab? The reason I ask is I have a like new B2650 Rops for sale that could save you some money. It does have the 3rd function along with two rear remotes.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Nothing wrong with the tractor (or B2650's) it's just that my needs have changed. I bought with the idea I'd be mowing a lot with it, along with some grapple and bucket chores. I ended up with more property and more to mow so I bought a zero turn in order to mow faster. I'm also finding more things to do with the FEL so I wouldn't mind going up a size, say to an L with ag or R4's.
Anyway it's in nice condition always kept in the garage or under the carport and only has 115 hours. Along with the remotes it has the 60" bucket and 72" mower deck.
Here are a few pics to give you an idea, if you could be interested PM or Email me.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Nice looking tractor. Unfortunately I'd have to pass. I'm going to be looking for R4 tires, 60" MMM (my trailer is 77" wide), and a backhoe.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling it though. It's pretty rare that I see them used around here anyway, and when I do they seem to go quick.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I think you’ll be pleased with a B2650 and yes since you’re wanting a hoe probably should order it with one. I haven’t made up my mind if I do change tractors if I’ll get a hoe. There are places I could occasionally use one but I can also hire a lot of excavator time for what one costs, then there’s storing the thing, I go back and forth.
Just listed it on Morgantown CL, probably should put it in the classifieds here too.

RVS PERF

Equipment
B2601, 54" LP Grapple, 53" Betsco flail, 14' dump trailer
May 8, 2019
North Branch, MN USA
Hey, new here. I have a B2601 with the LP 54" grapple on it and it is one of the best attachments I have! I don't think you could go wrong with any grapple for their use. I've had mine a few months and use it almost daily for pulling brush, logs, downed trees, etc out of the woods. Dug up some lilac bushes that are 25+ years old easily with it the other day. My arms, hands, and back sure do love it!

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I think you’ll be pleased with a B2650 and yes since you’re wanting a hoe probably should order it with one. I haven’t made up my mind if I do change tractors if I’ll get a hoe. There are places I could occasionally use one but I can also hire a lot of excavator time for what one costs, then there’s storing the thing, I go back and forth.
Just listed it on Morgantown CL, probably should put it in the classifieds here too.
The backhoes are pricey, but if you can swing it, it's definitely really nice to have around. No renting equipment, worrying about getting it back, etc.. Nice to have it around for small jobs that normally wouldn't justify renting equipment for.

Just noticed your tractor on my evening perusal of Craigslist. :)

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Leaning pretty easily toward the EA grapple at this point. Not settled yet though. I like that there are serrations on the EA teeth. And I read a lot of other good things about them.

Someone on tractorbynet suggested I'd be better off with the flat bottom type. I'm not so sure, but it's given me something else to think about.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
LOL I innocently replied to a grapple question and now you're talking me into a $5,000 back hoe! I do have a number stumps to remove, ditches maintain, a drainage swale to a pond that needs attention....

On to the grapple though if you decide on an EA better order it now because they're typically weeks, if not over a month, out in producing the things. You could always cancel if something comes up.

Wilderness

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6200, L3901, rear blade, York rake, EA grapple, bush hog, forks
May 22, 2019
Deerfield
When I asked a week ago, EA was 2.5 months out on grapple and on box blade.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Wish I'd have ordered it back in May but I didn't because I wasn't absolutely certain I was getting this tractor.

I just called EA, they said probably 8-10 weeks. Really tempting to just get the LP since I could have it now, but I think I'm probably going to go with EA.

BigDon

Sep 19, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
PA452 - what did you end up settling on? I’m in the same boat, I’m getting ready to order a B2601 next week and I need a grapple pretty soon so I can start clearing the woods before winter. Because I didn’t know what tractor I was getting at first I didn’t order an EA right away and I called them today with an 8-10 week answer as well. I will most likely go with the LP now since I can’t wait 2+ months to get started on things.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I went with the EA, hoping I have it by early November.

By everything I've read it's the better grapple. I hated to not get the better one to save a few months, but I can easily survive without it until then.

It's a lot like an NFA wait if by chance you know what I'm referring to. I ordered it and I'm trying to just forget about it until it comes in. ;)

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Yeah. I wasn’t interested in waiting till Christmas... Land Pride 0660 will be delivered with my new B2650 next week.

Dealer had a good half dozen of them in crates today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
It's a lot like an NFA wait if by chance you know what I'm referring to. I ordered it and I'm trying to just forget about it until it comes in. ;)
It is not as bad as a NFA wait. ;)

But, it was close to the 10 week wait until I received my EA 55 grapple. The embarrassing thing is I have not even removed it from the pallet. It has been sitting in my barn every since I picked it up from the shipping company.

Find some other projects, like me, and it will be here before you know it. I plan to finally try it this weekend hopefully. Mine stunk from the paint curing. It has been about a month since I received it, and it still stinks a little bit.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My EA Wicked 55" is supposed to arrive around Thanksgiving time.