Time for a purchase of a L2501

dennis98516

Apr 22, 2019
Olympia, WA USA
My 1971ish L225 gave up this weekend. For the last 15 years I have been dealing with it only have R-3-4-7-8 gears. These weekend while rototilling my wheat field I am down to R-4-8 and really don't have a neutral. This along with the fact I can't move a lot of the gravel I need to move because the bucket and getting stuck in soft dirt (2WD), and it is starting to overheat, has convinced me to get something new.

I have about 5 acres of flat property that has trees, and always seems to need maintenance. This winter we had lots of snow, so this spring has been hauling branches and limbs to the burn pile.

I have looked and believe this is what I want:
- L2501HST
- Bucket (I don't think I need a quick disconnect as I don';t know why I would ever take it off)
- Brush Cutter (I often am cutting scotch broom (1-2 year old stuff/not too thick, Blackberrys, and field grass)
- Rototiller (I do a small wheat field annually for a church project).

I have done some pricing research, and the prices are all over the board. In the pacific northwest (olympia, wa), the prices seem to be a bit higher than the rest of the country. All the "package deals" I have seem come with a trailer, which I don't need.

I hate "haggling" over prices and just want an honest, straight forward, best deal. Any thoughts and/or suggestions on what my next steps would be? I don't mind putting some miles on my car to get a good price.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Dennis

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
I would highly reconsider
- Bucket (I don't think I need a quick disconnect as I don';t know why I would ever take it off)
The SSQA is useful to future proof your machine. It will open up your world to forks, front hitch, etc. I didn't think I'd be getting different SSQA attachments when I bought my B2650 either but I quickly did.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I agree on the SSQA. You need it as you also need a grapple for the work you are doing. If you are taking advantage of zero percent financing, and why not as it is a free loan, then get the 3rd function added from the start. Look at the increase in monthly payment as you add on items. It is not significant. I added the 3rd function and 2 rear remotes which I can not live without. Those should be standard features in my opinion.

The grapple is the best attachment I have.

Grapple.jpg

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
X3 on the SSQA. They are well worth it for things you didn't even think about.

I used the 'poor man's grapple' (aka pallet forks) just yesterday for moving piles of brush to the burn pile.

Attachments

pedzola

Jun 2, 2016
Southern NH
L2501 is great, mine has been amazing.

Definitely get the SSQA. Also I would strongly recommend pallet forks. Excellent for moving brush or logs or even big rocks when you dont have a grapple. Also great for moving anything on a pallet of course. I have a water tank on a pallet that I bring around to water trees. Also mount a walk behind leaf blower to a pallet and drive up and down my driveway with it. Works great! Have gotten way more use out of pallet forks than I ever expected.

Lastly I would say to strongly consider a tooth bar for your bucket. Great for dirt and gravel.

As far as pricing, the quotes I was getting in New England were close to MSRP. High demand around here I guess. Eventually i got an ok deal. Sales guy wouldnt budge, came back to try to negotiate and he was busy with other customers so I ended up speaking w/the owner who did a new quote for me with an actual discount. Most here say to aim for 10% off msrp. Seems reasonable. Get multiple quotes.

Ultimately, the tractor will hold its value. I am halfway through paying mine off - it seemed expensive at first but with all the work I've gotten done and the high residual value it seems like a steal. If I were to do it over again I'd have gotten a grapple from day 1.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I just got a flyer in the mail from my dealer with several "specials" that Kubota was running. There are typically new ones every couple of months. This one mentioned an L2501 DT with a landscape package for $199 a month, upgrade to HST for an additional 10. The dealers seem to have everything Kubota is offering, and sometimes deals of their own. You just have to go visit. Look for good service reputation over deal in my opinion.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
How about some comments on what I might expect for a cost? Is it worth it to wait for a "fair" and get pricing there?

For a no haggle, fair deal go to Kubota's website and "build" your L2501 how you want it, tires, bucket, remotes, etc and it'll give you msrp. Copy that page and hand it to your dealer and tell him this is what you'll be buying and first dealer that gives me 10% off the total gets the sale.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
How about some comments on what I might expect for a cost? Is it worth it to wait for a "fair" and get pricing there?
Given the relative rarity of the L225 you may recoup some costs by parting it out. There was a bunch of stuff that was only used on that tractor.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We are in a hard spot here in the North West, they charge dearly for hauling tractors over the rockies.

I have yet to find any Idaho or Washington dealers that will make deals, if you want a road trip, have a good strong truck and trailer, you could look into Missoula, MT dealers, I've heard of them making some great deals.
But the cost of fuel, wear and tear, and time might eat into to much of any small amount of money off.

Not to beat it in, but SSQA not only gives you huge versatility it also raises the Resale value down the line.

And yes the engine and other parts of a L225 are fairly hot commodities, you could list it on here and might just get a pretty penny for it, always nice to offset cost of a new one with an old one. ;)

NewtoOrange

Equipment
L2501
Mar 1, 2017
Pleasant Plains, Il. USA
I bought a "package" a couple of years ago. First tractor and have learned I should have learned more but fell for price. L2501 is awesome. I have the HST, 60" rotary cutter and box blade. Came with pin on bucket and like you thought I would never remove it. Wrong. So I put out for the land pride grapple and 3rd function. Had I known then what I know now I would have had dealer install it all at purchase and rolled it into the finance. Other thing is the tires. Mine came with the R1. Way to aggressive for what I need and would love some R4 but maybe later. Only other thing would be cruise as I mow up to 10 acres at one time.

dennis98516

Apr 22, 2019
Olympia, WA USA
Thanks for everyone's response. Sadly up here in the Pacific Northwest I think the dealers price fix it. The Kubota Configurator says list on the tractor is $20,978. I've called a few dealers and the costs they quote are about the same:

1) Tractor = $21,000
2) Brush Cutter = $1,500
3) Rototiller = $2,300

I can get a discount of $700. Another was a discount of $300.

I look at the current Kubota Promotions and it says there is a discount of $1,000 for the purchase of a qualifying implement. Very frustrating.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
The prices are what they are.... they seem higher in your region but I'll bet used ones sell for more as well so when you factor in resale it may be a wash.

Hopefully the $700 or $300 is the dealer's discount, and they will pass Kubota's $1,000 implement discount on to you as well.

dennis98516

Apr 22, 2019
Olympia, WA USA
Thanks to all for your advice/suggestions.

I just purchased a new L2501HST with the Quick Connect Bucket and R4 tires. Also got a Land Pride 60" Rotary Cutter and 50" Tiller.

Going to be delivered this Friday!

Now I need to cleanup my old L225 w/ Bucket and put that up for sale!

quicktractor

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Jul 27, 2017
Flagstaff
A couple of low cost upgrades that are needed:
1) Get a right side fender handle (it is stupid that they do not come with it!!)
2) Put some bucket hooks on. I went with Ken's bolt on bucket hooks and they are great.

Good luck. I always say that you should not love anything that doesn't / can't love you back. But the exception for me is my L2501!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Congrats on the new tractor! You'll be glad to have the QA loader at some point. I had two tractors with pinned buckets over a 16 year period and never really saw the need for one. I fabbed brush forks that fasten over the bucket that work fine.

This past December I bought a used tractor that has a QA bucket and a third function valve on front. That was extremely handy for making a power angling snow plow. My BIL next door told me to feel free to use his QA forks whenever I want. All of a sudden I have a new appreciation for the QA bucket.