Tier 4 emissions on 2014 kubota 4060

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Any thoughts on the emissions system on kubota's for 2014.

The DPF, diesel particulation filter, & the regeneration process is certainly new technology.

I am looking at a 2014 4060 tractor and am wondering if this new system will be reliable or has there been issues with it.

Either way the regeneration per Kubota takes 20 minutes while the engine runs at a high rpm.

Thanks

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
There have been some issues reported. Like you said new technology, and those who are on the forefront normally pay the price to get thru the bug issue stage.

That said, I have no doubt that just like in '72 when automotive emission regs were tightened considerably (the first anti pollution device came out in "62 - the PCV valve) cars and light truck had many issues. It took about 10-12 years to work thru the issues, but now many years later we have better running, more dependable, longer lasting and easier to maintain cars / light trucks.

The same holds true for diesel engines, the change of fuel makeup, the tighter fuel controls all have the promise of a longer lasting, quieter and easier to maintain engine. When the teething troubles get put to rest.

Personally I would stay away if at all possible for a while myself, let the dust settle a bit before wading into the pond so to speak.

David

Mike of Southern IL

Equipment
2014 Kubota L3200 HST 4-WD, FEL,
Jun 17, 2014
Pocahontas, IL USA
I totally agree, stay away from them at this point. My experience from driving tractor trailers has me saying that. My former employer had International tractors with Cat diesels that had the same/similar set-up. They was in the shop more than they was on the road........and I'm not exaggerating. All over the emissions on the motor.
Cat had so many law suits over the matter they stopped offering motors to the trucking industry. Now they are dealing with it again since heavy equipment is having to deal with the emissions.
As the above gentlemen said, they'll figure it all out over time but I would be a bit gun shy at this point.
Kubota is a quality company and they may have learned from past mistake of others so the jury is still out.

Last edited:

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Mike, you have a 2014 L 3200
Does it have Tier 4 emissions, DPF and such?
If it does, how is it working?
Thanks!

live_roll

Equipment
M108 / BX 25 / RTV 900 / ZD331 / M7060 / B1200 Mx5100 Ford 1500
Dec 16, 2009
Irricana Alberta
I have just purchased an M7060 with tier 4, I only have about 60 hours on it, and is booked for first service in two days. It has not gone into re-gen yet, I have not read much about it either. What the Service Manager did tell me however, it to try to keep idling to a minimum as at that point there is a lower exhaust temp and plenty of diesel particulates building up within the system which of course will lead to a re-gen sooner. That makes sense to me.
From what I have noticed however, is pretty decent fuel economy although that may also be due to some other factors designed into the tractor, such as "e.pto", in which your engine rpm is reduced while operating at 540 rpm, as well as an overdrive in road gear with rpm peaking about 1800 rpm, these all lead to fuel savings as well,.
I will definitely keep everyone posted as to performance of unit, as well as any problems, as I am just getting geared up for the cutting season and should be racking up some serious hours within the next couple of months.

Cheers
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11914&stc=1&d=1403650428
Roger

Attachments

Mike of Southern IL

Equipment
2014 Kubota L3200 HST 4-WD, FEL,
Jun 17, 2014
Pocahontas, IL USA
Mike, you have a 2014 L 3200
Does it have Tier 4 emissions, DPF and such?
If it does, how is it working?
Thanks!
No, it's a Tier 3 model. I ask him (salesman) if this was a 2013 or 2014 model he said it is a 2014. If it was a tier 4 model it would be labeled a L3301.

Last edited:

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
I opted for a "gently used" L4600 with pre-tier 4 emissions and I am very happy with my choice. Considering most of us use our tractors very little compared to cars and trucks, I personally question the extra burden of DPF, re-gen, etc. but as mentioned above someone has to the be the guinea pig to debug the system and live with the problems to get everything improved to the point auto emission are today.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I too am nervous about the tier 4 emissions. We are about to embark on our 15 year equipment renewal, and will be looking at all brands. The dpf system has all but been dumped by highway type diesels, switching to the def type systems.
The particulate filters are very picky regarding lower quality fuels.

Retired Iron Peddler

Equipment
GL5460 HSTC, LA1023 Loader, Land Pride 1072 Grapple, RTV 900
Jun 18, 2014
Mount Pleasant, TX
I too am nervous about the tier 4 emissions. We are about to embark on our 15 year equipment renewal, and will be looking at all brands. The dpf system has all but been dumped by highway type diesels, switching to the def type systems.
The particulate filters are very picky regarding lower quality fuels.
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) has not been dumped. The Diesel Emission Fluid (DEF) is used in the presence of a catalyst in the exhaust stream to change NOX into nitrogen and water vapor. DPF is used to trap soot and will periodically burn off the accumulated soot through the regeneration process. These are two different emission control systems and DEF isn't a substitute for DPF.

Early Tier 4 on-highway and some off-road diesel emission control systems were used which used heavy use of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) with EGR coolers and a NOX converter that required extra fuel to be injected into the exhaust stream to generate the necessary heat to be effective. These systems were in use because the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) wouldn't approve the use of DEF. The EPA has changed the requirements and has allowed the use of DEF. Subsequently, DEF systems replaced the earlier emission systems that didn't use DEF. Using DEF added to the cost of operation, but gives better fuel mileage.

Bill

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Have 14 hours on engine and DPF screen is at 30%.
Tractor runs great and love the cab.
Try to keep rpm's at 1800 + for light work and minimum idling.
Always press auto regeneration button when started.
Grand series tractors certainly has a lot of technology.
No diesel exhaust smell is a plus.
Will report back on how many hours when the tractor goes into first regeneration.

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Tractor just went thru first Regen at 28 hours.
Always run it with AutoRegen pushed in after tractor is started.
The PM scene did show 100% & then it started Regen.
The rpm indicator stopped flashing at 2200rpm.
Regen took 17 minutes. Did not notice white smoke from exhaust or rise in engine temp gauge.
Before regen I was hooking up a rotory cutter and the tractor was running at 1400 rpm. I think if the tractor was under load and higher rpm the engine speed would not have been increased.
Over all very satisfied on how the first regen went and the little time it took!
Cal270

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
My neighbors 4701 I think. Regensburg every 8 hrs and he has to take 20 min to let it regeneration. I didn't want a emissions model so I tracked down a 2009 l4400hst with 92 hrs. That's not a typo either, I paid 19000 but got a good trade in on my l3000dt. 8500 plus the old tractor. It's like a new rig. A few minor scratches but like new. I'd track me down a very low hr Tractor with a few hrs on it. I don't know a whole lot about the mechanism of the kubota s but I do know that the more cap you put on a engine the more problems you'll have. Look at the old dieel trucks. They hold their value very well do to the lack of emissions

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
First regeneration took place at 28 hours.
PM hit 100%, needed to increase rpm per screen symbol, 17 minutes to regen.
Did not see any white smoke or change in engine temp.
Overall a simple process!
Cal270

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Any thoughts on the emissions system on kubota's for 2014.

The DPF, diesel particulation filter, & the regeneration process is certainly new technology.

I am looking at a 2014 4060 tractor and am wondering if this new system will be reliable or has there been issues with it.

Either way the regeneration per Kubota takes 20 minutes while the engine runs at a high rpm.

Thanks
8/27/14
Second regen at 52 hours or 24 hours since last regen.
Took 14 minutes to regen.
Doing drive way work, so once it was at 99% on the dash, ran rpms at 2000.
So the emissions system would be hotter when regen started. Seem to work, since regen took less time...
Tractor going in next week for 50 hour service.
Will have glow plug installed also.

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Had tractor serviced at 63 hours.
Block heater installed, kubota oem. Will be a nice addition for winter.
Tires were ballasted with RimGuard.
Last night I went out and brush hogged. The PM screen showed 90%(tractor has been lightly ran since last Regen), ran rotary cutter for 1.5 hours and rechecked PM and it wwent down to 65%!
So......it seems that after running the rpm at 2450 and heating up the catalytic converter the PM can be reduced, interesting.
68 hrs on tractor and still show a .6 gallon per hour burn rate.
Need to install a battery tender next.
There was a question on if the tractor needs to be parked during Regen. No you just run the tractor and keep rpms up per symbol on dash, 1900 rpm or so seems to be the number.
Will update next regen....

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Just ran rotarycutter another 3 hours.
72.8 hours and PM is showing 47% now.
I wonder if any other 60 Series tractor owners have seen this happen.
Curious what a Kubota tech would say on this??
Has been 20.8 hours since last regen.
Thanks

Retired Iron Peddler

Equipment
GL5460 HSTC, LA1023 Loader, Land Pride 1072 Grapple, RTV 900
Jun 18, 2014
Mount Pleasant, TX
Our Kubota Tier 4 tractors have both passive and active regeneration. When the engine speed is high enough and the load on the engine is adequate to produce enough exhaust heat, it will burn off the soot in the DPF and the reason you will see lowering of the soot levels without seeing the regeneration indicator light on the dash. This is called Passive Regeneration.

When the engine isn't run at levels to passively burn off the accumulated soot in the DPF, it will go into an Active Regeneration when the DPF is filled to 100%. Active Regeneration is when the regeneration indicator light on the dash is illuminated or the warning appears that the DPF is full and a regeneration must be done.

My L5460HSTC went through a regeneration at 36 hours while using a rotary mower with the engine running at 2400-rpm. I watched the soot level gauge hit 100% and the only change I noted was the regeneration indicator light on the dash was illuminated. I continued mowing. At the end of the approximately 20 minute regeneration cycle, the soot level indicator showed 0% soot level. If I had not been watching the soot level indicator and had not seen the regeneration indicator light on the dash, I wouldn't have known the regeneration cycle had occurred. Active Regeneration while mowing was absolutely seamless.

Bill

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Bill,
Thanks for your input, it makes sense.
Had concerns buying a 60's tractor due to the new technology. So far it is a non-issue. Great fuel economy and no diesel smell.
When not running a pto attachment keep rpms 1900-2000.
Mark