Zero Turn Mowers

siman00

Equipment
B2410
Oct 20, 2017
Lumberton NC
Hello all. I know this is an orange forum, but I need to learn about zero-turn mowers. In particular, what I need to know about buying a used zero-turn mower. Brand? Engine? What you like about yours? What you don't like about yours. Any specific recommendations?

I am a total novice on zero-turn mowers, so all comments will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
You did not say how may acres.

I mow 8 acres in 2 hours and 10 minutes with a Kubota ZD1211.

It is kind of fun. You have wind in your hair. Bouncing around a little.

The downside is it is only good for mowing grass.

The commercial Kubotas are built like a tank. That makes them a little heavy.

I think it is amazing how much grass is blowing out of the chute at 10 MPH with a 72" cut.

siman00

Equipment
B2410
Oct 20, 2017
Lumberton NC
I meant to include acreage, but like many things, I forgot. It's about 3 acres total. Most is level, but it includes a ditch about 3' deep and sides about 40 degrees got appx 500 feet.

And I'd like to keep the deck at 60" maximum.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It's like most things. Figure out how much you want to spend, then start looking.

How much area are you going to mow? Are trees, slopes, ditches, level terrain prevalent? That helps determine width of deck, out front deck, choice of tires, etc.

I just told my nephew who asked this weekend, do your research to discover what brand, style suits your usage. Then try to find a good used one in that brand, preferably a commercial rated machine. Then, after using it a few years, if you like the features, trade it in for a newer one, and keep stepping up every few years.

If you don't purchase a commercial rated machine at the beginning you will have no trade in value to work off of, it will be wore out and you'll start over.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I meant to include acreage, but like many things, I forgot. It's about 3 acres total. Most is level, but it includes a ditch about 3' deep and sides about 40 degrees got appx 500 feet.

And I'd like to keep the deck at 60" maximum.

I have a similar mowing situation as you. I mow a little over 4 acres, 300ft of typical country road ditch out front, trees, and other obstacles etc. I can do it in right about 2hrs but i have no suspension on my ZTR, and my yard is rather bumpy, so I can't mow at max speed (13mph). It will beat the hell out of you if you try. So my machine is a 28hp direct injection EFI Kawasaki powered Deere, with a 72" deck. If I let the grass grow long 5-6" tall, or if it's wet, I feel the 28hp is not quite enough and I have to go slower, or take shorter bites. I think with a 72" deck, I would be looking for a 28hp or more diesel (for the torque), or a 30hp or more gasser. But I only paid $4100 for it 2 yrs ago with ~990hrs, and it is a commerical unit/tank, so it's what I got for the money I had , in the used market, no complaints tho, it is a beast of ZTR. In any normal operating situations, the 28hp is sufficient.
I keep my lawn cut and whacked. I'm not into yard work for pristine magazine pictures and looks, I've better things to do with my time. A 72" deck will be a little more prone to scalping uneven terrain, or the crests of your ditches, if you get greedy with your angles. A 60" deck will do slightly better in that regard, I believe that's why most commercial units are 60-61" cuts, that and slightly easier to maneuver in tighter areas.
If you're looking for pure speed, then HP, 72" deck, and suspension (seat or chassis) is what i'd be looking for.

I agree with D2, used market, pick a price and shop for that. Get what you can get. Oh, and also agree, get commercial unit if you can. $3-$5,000 can get a decent used commercial machine.

Last edited:

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I would echo the "go commercial" advise. If you can't afford new, look for a good used rig. Still much better than any residential unit.

Ferris, Hustler, Exmark all have good commercial rigs, along with your traditional tractor brands like KB & JD. YK's are tanks if you can find a used one. Thank Husqvarna for ruining that quality brand.

On a 60" rig, you'll want at least 26hp for a gas engine. Most will have the B&S or Kawasaki commercial engines, and are both excellent.

Put on a set of G6 Gator blades, and pulverize anything in your path. Consider "chevron" style bar tires if you have any traction issues.

Good luck!

rademamj

Apr 9, 2017
Waco, Texas, USA
I have mowed my 21 acres of open field, using a tractor and 6' rotary cutter. Not uncommon to spend over 10hrs per cutting cycle.

I worked hard to find a good used Kubota ZD326 at fair price, and was just never successful. Then a used Gravely Proturn 460 commercial unit become available one weekend and purchased it. Has the 31HP Kawasaki engine and now I can mow it all in just about 4.5 hours. The zero turn mowers will make life easier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Being the odd duck (I realize this is a Kubota forum but), I have a Cub Cadet 60": tank with a 27 horse Kowalski and twin Hydro Gear IZT transmissions and it's at least 10 years old and mows 7 acres all the time. Been bullet proof.

I didn't want to spend the jack for an orange zero turn and I have to say, other than consumable parts and engine oil and IZT oil, I have had 0 issues. Nice thing about the Hydro Gear pumps is, they take the same 15-40 motor oil the Kowalski does, no UDT or SUDT and if one goes bad, you can replace that unit instead of the entire transmission.

Replace the blades every spring and grease it regularly (has a service reminder built into the hour meter.)

Finally, replacement parts like spindles and pulleys are pretty generic so you can buy them at any online mower parts place, not from a Kubota dealer.

Had to replace a spindle last year (my fault) and the complete spindle, bearings and all was 34 bucks. I bet the similar Kubota part would be at least 100 bucks. Blades are generic too. I run Oregon high lift blades, 3 blades are 54 bucks new, delivered. Wonder what Kubota blades cost...lol

I see Kubota uses Kowalski motors for their non diesel mowers too. Good motor. My hour meter shows 800 hours and other than oil changes and 1 air filter and 1 valve adjustment (that I did myself) the motor runs just fine. Original plugs too.

Was a very good investment for me and thousands less that an Orange or green 0 turn.

Finally, it's festooned with grease fittings. Something I look for. Everything from the front wheel spindles and wheels to the deck lift mechanism is greaseable.

My 2 cents. I hate mowing lawns anyway. I should let the cattle graze on the lawn and call it good.:eek:

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
I have had nothing but Grasshopper ZTR mowers since 1990. They are built like tanks and commercial quality. Only problem I ever had with one was when I had to replace two deck turrets after wrapping a dog chain up in them...not the mowers fault.:rolleyes: I do maintain my machines religiously though.

The two I have now are both powered by Kubota diesels. One is 21 HP and the other is 25 HP. Both easily out power the last 27 HP Kohler gas version I had. All of my grasshoppers have had the 60 inch decks because my yard is knobby enough that the 72 inch will scalp spots.:eek:

I have always bought the front deck series because, unlike mid-mounts and many other front mounts, you can get other attachments for them. I have one snow blower that will mount on either mower. That sucker really moves the snow and is the most maneuverable snow blower I have ever had. It will indiscriminately chuck snow or limestone 100 feet.

I typically mow 5 acres with many trees in about 2 hours. Can do it faster but I'm usually in no hurry.:D

If one is vigilant, a good used one can be had for a reasonable price.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Fro65, if anyone has ever had a powerfold deck they quit quibbling over the price of the machine! They're made up the road a ways, and their customer support around here is excellent. You're correct, they have 6 or 7 attachments for their front mount mowers.

History

Grasshopper has been a family-owned business since 1969, when the first Grasshopper mower was introduced (invented by LeRoy Stucky, who also designed the trademark).[2] Today, Grasshopper has expanded to include a 300,000-square-foot (28,000 m2) manufacturing facility in Moundridge. The company has developed their products to serve the needs of government entities, lawn care professionals and equipment owners.

Grasshopper innovations

Grasshopper was the first manufacturer to offer dual swing-out levers for their zero-turn mowers (1973)[3] and the first to offer a diesel-powered zero-turn mower (1983).[4] Diesel engines are known for power, fuel efficiency and longer engine life,[5] making mowers with diesel engines do not have to be replaced as often as mowers with other engine types.

Dual hydrostatic drive systems were incorporated to give operators a smoother ride (1988).

Grasshopper’s Combo Deck (1995) allowed mower operators to collect, mulch or discharge with the same deck.

The "Powerfold" electric deck lift rotates cutting decks up without manual lifting (2004).

Co-developed by Grasshopper and Parker Hannifin, the T-Drive transmission and AntiVibe Power Platform was created to reduce vibrations (2007).[6]

The 4X Rear Discharge deck design channels clippings behind the mower and away from the engine (2008).

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If someone wants to give me one (Grasshopper), I'll take it. Until then, I'll run the Tank. The op wanted opinions on 0 turn mowers not a sales pitch but I'd be happy to road test one for a few years so long as it's free. A Kubota even...lol

Mowers in my view are a 'whatever blows your dress up' thing. All do the same task, mow the grass. Not something I like to do anyway. If we didn't have a noxious weed ordinance around here, I'd never mow the grass.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
I run a Grasshopper 721DT with a 61" mower. Mine uses a Kubota diesel of course and works awesome. Front fold up deck is easy to clean. I'll buy another when it wears out in several thousand hours.. FYI

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you decide to go bullet proof diesel commercial get a 2010 or newer ZD326-60P. The pre-2008 models had HST overheating issues. Avoid the ZD28/ZD21 models as they had multiple overheating HST issues.

On the downside they are very heavy machines and you can easily tear up your turf if you aren't careful and smooth on the controls.

On the upside they are built like tanks and have sturdy built decks. If you get an older unit I highly recommend putting bar tires on if traction is an issue.

I've posted some of my tweaks on my ZD326 here and I list my pros/cons for this machine
http://divergentstuff.ca/index.php/...ter-zero-turn-kubota-zd326-60p-modifications/

I have a personal bias against using gas engines in anything except cars..unless you have an oil well in your back yard and an unlimited supply of ethanol free gas and you like the smell of gas on your hands after tinkering with small engines. I've had really good trouble free luck on all my Kubota diesels and I'm pretty sure my non-pollution control mechanical diesel engines will probably outlast me.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have a personal bias against using gas engines in anything except cars..unless you have an oil well in your back yard and an unlimited supply of ethanol free gas and you like the smell of gas on your hands after tinkering with small engines. I've had really good trouble free luck on all my Kubota diesels and I'm pretty sure my non-pollution control mechanical diesel engines will probably outlast me.

Granted a diesel might, I say might last longer and my 27 horse Kowalski is a gas hog but when you compare the price of diesel to gas, at least here, it's a wash.

If Kowalski's are so bad then why does Kubota use them on the gas powered mowers?

Smell of gas on my hands? I don't put my hands in the gastank and diesel stinks too.:eek:

Longevity is totally dependent on how you care for an engine, no matter what it is.

CrashmanS

Equipment
BX25
Aug 2, 2014
Buckhannon WV
I had a Toro timecutterz for 18 years. Just got worn out. I purchased a z421 Kubota with a 60 inch deck and couldn't be happier. It will last me a long time and has a 60 in deck.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

siman00

Equipment
B2410
Oct 20, 2017
Lumberton NC
Well, I ended up buying a used 2017 Gravely ZTHD 52 Kohler 25 HP with 21 hours. It's not commercial grade, but much better than the stamped steel decks. Thank you all for the discussion.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
There's been several threads like this, search them, they all have some good info in them if you want to sift thru. I'll give my plug for Ferris like I've done before. I've got about 3 acres, pretty bumpy here and there. Lots of commercial mowers that work fantastic, but no matter how good it cuts, you will be limited on speed by how bouncy it gets. Ferris is the only one I found at the time with a full sprung suspension. Most have sprung seat suspension, but the Ferris has a sprung seat and mower. It's more $, but I can mow faster because of the suspension (time=$) so they say. The real reason I spent the extra cash was because I broke my back years ago. I had to mow so slowly with an un-suspended mower that it was really no faster or better than an old junky riding mower, if I mowed fast I couldn't walk straight for the next few days. With the Ferris I get done in less than half the time I used to, and my back doesn't lock up on me. Whatever you end up getting, happy mowing.