Anyone run a rear mount snowblower and no FEL?

Joe Cool

Jan 3, 2016
Winnipeg
I have a BX2360 and am using a B2789 rear mount snowblower. I have an FEL and always have it attached.
However, we received a good dump of snow the last couple of days and my Mom needs help clearing her driveway and she it at the other end of the city.
I have a 14' enclosed trailer that I could use to transport the tractor to her house but I can only fit the tractor and snowblower without the FEL.
Anyone know if loosing that extra front end weight will negatively effect the effectiveness of the tractor?

I'd actually be surprised if anyone else has run a rear mount snowblower in this configuration but I thought it would be worth a try.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Joe - Not a snowblower, but I've used my BX2360 with a 4 foot box blade (300 pounds) a few times without the FEL.

Worked fine, but I wasn't doing anything heavy duty. Front end wasn't too light.

Guessing you'd be fine. Good luck.

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
I have been tempted to try it on my 2370, I asked the same question in the summer, it was suggested to put some weight on the front end. I might still try it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I run mine like that all the time, works better for me, makes it a heck of a lot easier to maneuver in tight spaces. ;)

It might be a little light in the front, but it shouldn't be too bad!

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Try it and see. If a real problem, remove snow blower at Mom's. Take tractor to home and attach loader. When done reverse the trip sequence. Next time leave a weight for front end at Mom's. That could be a box hung on front end to be filled with snow after attaching.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
In reply to my own post earlier - I was usually just moving/smoothing stone, but no problems at all.

Actually, not a hell of a lot different than what you'd be doing, but in reverse. You'd have extra weight on the rears for traction; a lighter front end won't bother much.

Like Wolfman said - absent FEL, much shorter and more maneuverable.

I'd give it a go!

Attachments

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The previous owner of mine didn't have a FEL at all and ran the rear mount blower for several seasons. He added 3 suitcase weights to the front bumper for a little more traction when pushing the blower up hills. Are your tires filled? If so, then you are already ahead of the suitcase weights.

Option B is take the FEL over without the blower.

Option C is take them both in two trips. How big is the city? How much gas money can you raise by doing Mom's neighbour's drives while you are there? ;)

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
It's good to hear from the 'Peg! You guys got some nasty weather this week, that's for sure.

In response to your question about running a blower without the loader in place, that's how most of us have been doing it since the dawn of snowblowing technology. It works, just not as well as when there's weight on the front wheels of a 4WD tractor. But then again, I've been blowing snow for a quarter century with only a 2WD tractor, and most of the time without the benefit of chains, so I'm living proof it can be done with far less capable machinery.

Remember the diff lock - it's your friend in situations where the front wheels might not be getting full traction. Lock up the rears and push through.