Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Fabrication & Customization

Fabrication & Customization Show off and share the details of your custom improvements to your tractor, your truck or anything else you get your hands on.

Old 02-11-2019   #61
crmorse
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2016 L47 TLB, 1999 John Deere 455G (track loader), 1953 Ford 8N
Default Re: Skidding winch

I had the opportunity to use my winch again this past weekend. I needed to pull 1000' of 1/0 triplex cable up to the construction site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkLrOX0Rjls

This was a perfect use-case as it played to the capstan's strengths... I have a 600' rope meaning I only had to do setup 1 intermediate pull and the ability to progressively slip to control the speed made it much easier to work with my son who was following the leading edge to avoid snags. And it wasn't a very heavy pull. It probably topped out at about 500lbs. The one time I was able to see my pressure gauge move it only went to 100PSI which translates to about 500 lbs so the math works.

Once we got to the last bit where I had clear line of sight I cranked up the speed a bit and probably got close to 60fpm. That was about as fast as I could comfortably pay off the rope. Any faster and I've have just been dumping it anywhere instead of making (somewhat) nice loops on the ground.

As you'll see in the video, even with the taller capstan and the fairlead now lined up perfectly I still had problems with the rope wanting to climb over itself. What I eventually found with practice is that if I use a lighter touch on the tension I could find a happy medium where it didn't slip too much and it didn't bunch either. By the end when I was pulling more load I added an extra loop which helped reduce slipping but still let me keep only very light tension on the rope.

I think with the capstan all the way full of loops (about 14) I might be able to get a decent heavy pull and still be able to balance the tension enough to avoid the rope bunching issue but I'm not sure. It definitely worked better than before but still not as good as the Norwood videos unless they were pulling hollow logs. The other adjustment that seemed to help was shortening the toplink to tilt the winch backwards some. I didn't have a chance to try any other ropes yet.

I'll try some heavier logs next week and report back.

P.S. Stomper, one thing you need to have for sure is some way to very quickly stop the capstan. If the rope does bunch over on top of itself you lose all ability to release tension so it will pull until something breaks--usually shredding your rope. In my experience, it always happens right before you need to stop suddenly.

I don't use my flow control valve for actual flow control (engine throttle is much more effective for that) but it does make a handy cut-off. I mounted mine on the tractor side of the frame to keep it safe from logs when dragging but I wish I'd found a more accessible place.

Last edited by crmorse; 02-11-2019 at 06:41 PM. Reason: embed video
crmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2019   #62
Stomper
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.

Sorry for the late reply. I have been very busy lately and havenít had much time to be on here. That did seem to work much better than before but I still canít understand the rope wanting to climb up on itself. None of the other winches Iíve seen have a tendency to do that. I was just on the shop today looking at the stuff I have collected for this project and thinking I better make some time to work on it. I havenít got my rear remotes installed yet either so I think I will hook the capstan motor up to my 3rd function just to see what rpm it runs at.
Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019   #63
crmorse
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2016 L47 TLB, 1999 John Deere 455G (track loader), 1953 Ford 8N

I just recently ran across my PortableWinch capstan. Since the new one works better I won't have any need for it. If you haven't gotten one yet I'll make you a great deal on one (slightly used).
crmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019   #64
Stomper
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.

Looking forward to recieving it.
Now I can get on with building this thing.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #65
mike paulson
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
No problem at all with with tossing around different ideas, im open to all suggestions and ideas. After all the title does say skidding winch.
I have thought about swapping the electric motor for a hydraulic motor for use in feeding logs into my firewood processor that I am designing. Similar to what the wallenstien processors have. I was just going to use a hydraulic motor for the winch but I didnt know how I would be able to free spool it, so thats the idea I came up with.
I think it would work good for the application you are talking about. And I dont think you were correct when you said that you suck at fabrication. You did an awesome job with the capstan winch fabrication. Thats the thing about building your own stuff with your own ideas, there is bound to be some modifications in the process. Thatís the whole fun part in fabrication.

BTW I picked up that 15.4 cu.in motor for my capstan build. It has high torque at a good rpm for my tractors flow rate and pressure. Now I just need to get the capstan spool and find time to build it
Hi Stomper, could you provide a make and model of the hydraulic Motor you got for this build and also where you bought it. Thanks in advance.
mike paulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #66
Stomper
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Mike the link below is the motor that I went with because with all the research that I have done and and lots of help from crmorse it seems that this one should get the rpm and torque that I need/want with my tractors hydraulic specs. At least according to the flow chart in the instruction booklet anyway. I havent had time to test it out yet though. Been way to busy. Princess Auto would be canadaís equivalent to Harbour Freight. Hope this helps.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...or/A-p8490104e
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #67
mike paulson
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
Mike the link below is the motor that I went with because with all the research that I have done and and lots of help from crmorse it seems that this one should get the rpm and torque that I need/want with my tractors hydraulic specs. At least according to the flow chart in the instruction booklet anyway. I havent had time to test it out yet though. Been way to busy. Princess Auto would be canadaís equivalent to Harbour Freight. Hope this helps.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...or/A-p8490104e
Was wondering if your going to plumb in a flow valve similar to Crmorse's. Might be a good idea to have it as a shut off so the capstan isn't spinning constantly whenever the tractors running and as a safety in case something goes squirrely
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #68
Stomper
2nd Yr. Apprentice

I will if I have to but only if I have to reduce the rpm of the motor. I am going to install rear remotes with a valve that has a detent to keep the valve in the open position while operating the winch. I fabbed up the motor mount today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E6FE6B9-0407-4116-A240-C803081870AC.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	41988   Click image for larger version

Name:	5915779B-624A-4DC0-9E93-D71C27FC74DB.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	41989   Click image for larger version

Name:	5EAD2B93-C80D-4F75-A001-D57F8010080C.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	41990   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A44A51C-264A-4F0B-B194-E0189AA0C3E3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	41991  
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #69
mike paulson
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Very nice, I like the way you used channel steel to strengthen the motors mounting plate, I was planning on cutting 1/2 steel and putting support braces with small diagonals and welding into place, but your method looks clean and neat. If you don't mind me asking what shutoff valve are you planning on using.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #70
Stomper
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Thanks. Yeah the top mount plate of the motor fit nicely inside of the 4x4x1/4 square tube. I havent sourced out the exact valve yet but it will be an open center with power beyond. It will go from the pb of my loader valve to the rear remote valve the back to my third function valve. I will be getting it for the same place I purchased the motor.

Last edited by Stomper; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:24 AM.