Servicing my new-to-me L245DT

t_quinn

Equipment
l245dt
Aug 27, 2012
Duxbury, MA
Just bought a used L245DT with a loader. I am attempting to change the engine oil and trans/hydraulic fluid. Completed the oil change, no problem. Now onto the trans/hydraulics.

It came without a manual, but I found one on the net. It recommends SAE 80 gear oil for the transmission. It doesn't talk about the hydraulic system, but from what I can gather it has a common resevoir for the two. I am no where near a Kubota dealer, but very close to a TSC (tractor supply company) store. The guy there recommended using Traveller® Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid, but in looking at the weight specs it is a SAE 10W-20 oil.

I am guessing he is misinformed about the particulars of this unit. Can anyone recommend a proper non-Kubota made fluid to use in this particular machine. Something that can be purchased at TSC would be great, since its so convenient for me. You can see what they carry at http://www.tractorsupply.com.

Two other quick questions: 1) I located the area where the trans filter screen is located, but it is very difficult to see exactly where the drain plugs are in my black and white, photocopied manual. Can anyone tell me how many drain plugs there are and exactly where they are located? and 2) is the place where you add the trans/hydraulic fluid the plug right between your legs?

The loader I have appears to have a (separate) resevior located under the joystick for the loader. There is a big rectangular box underneath the joystick. Looks like there is a drain plug at the bottom of it. I guess I'll pull it and see what happens!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
One on the bottom middle of the transmission case, toward the back of the case. One on each rear axle case, which are actually lower than the plug on the transmission.

Fill is just below the gear shift and is one common reservoir for trans and hydraulics.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I use Walmart tractor fluid in mine. About 150 hours on it so far with no issues to report. Vic recommends it in one of his how to videos.

t_quinn

Equipment
l245dt
Aug 27, 2012
Duxbury, MA
Thanks very for the advice. I still can't figure out why the owners manual states that the transmission requires, "Gear oil SAE 80." This is an owners manual I found online for a 1976 model L245. Mine was made in the 1980's, but I would think the manual shouldn't have changed??

I am just concerned about putting the wrong type of fluid in there and having it blow up on me!

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
UTF has a wider viscosity range than 90 w.
Your be fine, it what I run in my 78 245 DT.

E/S

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Back when our tractors were new, Kubota didn't ship them from Japan with FEL's like they do today. The loaders were made for Kubota by Woods here in the states and installed by dealers or owners. My loader and backhoe are both Kubota brand but built by Woods. Check you loader and notice the SAE fasteners and fittings vs metric on the tractor.

I looked through my manuals and you are correct, only 80W is mentioned, but the manuals are for the tractor only, not a tractor with a loader. I have read many times here and on other sites that when a loader is plumbed into the tractor's hydraulics, 80W is a little thick, and a universal tractor fluid designed for transmissions, wet brakes, and hydraulics is a better choice. UDT or generic equivalent fits the bill. Just make sure the label mentions UDT and is not just hydraulic fluid.

Kurtis01

Equipment
Kubota L245 DT
Dec 15, 2014
Douglasville
Ok when you say walmart tractor fluid is there a name on the bucket or the weight it is have no idea what walmart fluid is. walmart guy does not know what one you talking about. Thanks:confused:

I use Walmart tractor fluid in mine. About 150 hours on it so far with no issues to report. Vic recommends it in one of his how to videos.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look for Mystik JT5, it's UDT comparable without the huge price. ;)