Mosquito Control

sodak

Dec 28, 2015
Sioux Falls
This spring has been very wet so there is also standing water in ditches, etc., and mosquitoes are beginning to hatch. Since we live near some sloughs and a stock pond, prior years have been pretty bad, too.

We are considering adding bee hives so if we can stay away from something that would harm honeybees, that would be ideal.

What have you found to be the best way to control mosquitoes?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fish in the ponds is the best and safest way. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Around here we have a few Martin houses. Each bird consumes up to 2000 'sketters per day. That's like a flying vacuum cleaner!!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
We are lucky so far, repeated freeze thaw and now its really dry and 90 some odd degrees the little buggers are hunkered down in the bush. They can stay there.
Big issue here is three things. Forest fires , woodticks and tourists

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Frank,

What is the best thing you have found for getting rid of pesky tourists?

:)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
We have really good mosquito control in Michigan also works great for black flies, no-see-ums, and deer flies all of which we will soon have in abundance.:( Our control is called winter and we only have to wait 6 months.:rolleyes:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Well, its a matter of opinion but high prices and bad food seem to keep them out of the local restaurants.....
Tourism is big around here, population 3000 in winter 15000 in summer.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
thought I heard that if you keep the water moving mosquito's won't lay eggs in the water.

If that is true maybe along with fish those floating water fountains will keep the water moving some. Some are solar powered too.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Last time I was in Northern Quebec a waitress at a local resturent told me, in broken french, english to just leave money and go home! After I got back home, I heard the place burned down a week later...karma huh

JWatkins

Equipment
BX2670
Mar 18, 2016
Barrington, IL
My daughter is highly allergic to mosquito bites. If she gets one or two on her face, she looks like she went three rounds with Mike Tyson. So I have a zero tolerance for the little vipers. I mix two quarts of Permethrin solution in 60 gallons of water and spray the whole five acres with it. Boom spray the whole lawn, wand spray into the woods. My neighbor has a service spray his place, but when I walk across the property I can tell the difference after about 5 paces. He has control. I have elimination.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
J,

My dad worked at CAI in Barrington. What a gorgeous little town!

Ray

sodak

Dec 28, 2015
Sioux Falls
thought I heard that if you keep the water moving mosquito's won't lay eggs in the water.

If that is true maybe along with fish those floating water fountains will keep the water moving some. Some are solar powered too.
Good idea - I will have to look into it for the water on my property. Google tells me some mosquitoes in the midwest can travel miles from their breeding spot to eat, and eggs can hatch in as little as an inch of standing water, so I may need something more for the ones that come from other people's property.

My daughter is highly allergic to mosquito bites. If she gets one or two on her face, she looks like she went three rounds with Mike Tyson. So I have a zero tolerance for the little vipers. I mix two quarts of Permethrin solution in 60 gallons of water and spray the whole five acres with it. Boom spray the whole lawn, wand spray into the woods. My neighbor has a service spray his place, but when I walk across the property I can tell the difference after about 5 paces. He has control. I have elimination.
This is excellent. How far away are you from your neighbor? 'Skeeters treat your place like a no fly zone?

Not sure if it will harm bees. Maybe if I stay away from where the hives are?

JWatkins

Equipment
BX2670
Mar 18, 2016
Barrington, IL
This is excellent. How far away are you from your neighbor? 'Skeeters treat your place like a no fly zone?

Not sure if it will harm bees. Maybe if I stay away from where the hives are?
All the plots in our neighborhood are roughly 350ft x 650ft. I spray right up to the property line and probably inadvertently over it at times. I'm not sure how it affects the bees, but I know the biting flies are barely deterred. Mosquitoes, ticks, those little gnat swarms; that's it's bread and butter.

Another product that works great is Wisdom TC. They have it at Tractor Supply. It's made with Bynethrin. Both of these come with a laundry list of warnings about your skin, your pets, proximity to fresh water sources, agriculture etc. It's not your Home Depot variety bug spray, so proceed with caution.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Permethrin is "extremely toxic" to bees.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/metiram-propoxur/permethrin-ext.html

Judging from the name, the Wisdom might be similar. Bees spend a lot of time walking around on plants close to the ground like dandelion flowers and clover flowers, so their exposure to the spray would be high. And then not sure how much of the stuff would end up in the honey, if tney lived long enough to carry the pollen back to the hive.

Avoid the sprays with neonicotinoids in them, they also are toxic to bees.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I have not seen a bee up this way in at least 3 years. I don't know what happened to them We have yellow jackets. hornets and wasps but no honey bees. I have been thinking about starting a hive, but I figure it would be bear bait

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
From the Cy-Kick data sheet....

Prescription Treatment brand Cy-Kick CS Controlled Release Cyfluthrin is the multi-use insecticide designed for professionals like yourself who want a product that works just as smart as you do. It dishes out 90 days of full-throttle, broad-spectrum killing power, controlling insects inside and outside, on the toughest areas and surfaces. The difference is SmartCap™ microencapsulation technology that protects cyfluthrin to create a long residual and a mobile lethal dose of this broad-spectrum active ingredient that insects easily pick up. Cy-Kick CS has the high-powered performance and flexibility you need, at a competitive price. And it’s much less likely to cause skin irritation than some other products.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
We have a pond in the front yard and the mosquitos are controlled naturally by bats. I put up several bat boxes around the area and that's where the bats live. The boxes are easy to make or can be bought at any of the big box stores in the garden department. Ed B