New B2301 - Question Using FEL to lift

Bloomj

Equipment
B2301 w/FEL, PHD, Subsoiler
Apr 26, 2016
Greenville, SC
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a Kubota B2301 with FEL and a Woods PHD. I've been having a lot of fun moving dirt, planting trees, bushes, etc.

I know it may not be ideal but I'm going to use the FEL to move some items. For example I borrowed a 54" pulverizer the other day and used a ratchet strap around the bucket to lift it off of the trailer. I was a bit concerned about bending the bucket but it worked out fine. The pulverizer weighs about 500# according to Woods' website.

My question is, how do you lift with the bucket? Do you have hooks? Do you run a strap around it? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Joshua

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
The best and safest way to lift with your bucket is to use hooks whether they are bolt on or welded on. That way the load is secure to not damage your bucket or something else. You generally need a ballast box on the 3pt when lifting to keep your tractor stable. I like 2 hooks in line with the loader arms for lifting wider unstable loads and an excavator type hook in the center that you can use chains straps or cables as that is where you will do most of your lifting from.

View attachment 22046

Last edited:

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
If you go with that center hook, be sure to reinforce the top of the bucket, as that curled top lip can bend in the center under enough load. The hooks on the ends are stronger but you have to rig a chain between the hooks to make a single point lift. Rkidd's photo shows a nice setup.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Get in touch with Kenny on this site - he makes some very nice bolt on hooks - for the price and convenience - it is a bargain.

I would high recommend 5/16 hooks and PLACING them inline with the arms too!

Bloomj

Equipment
Apr 26, 2016
Greenville, SC
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into hooks. Anyone used the Bxpanded hooks? How do I find Kenny?

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Here is a link to his website, there are videos on the site & YouTube. The BXpanded are nice too, very flexible & strong. My dealer welded 2 hooks on the bucket in line with the arms, as above go with 5/16 grab hooks there. I need to get one in the middle yet & plan on Kenny's. Need to figure out the extras I want to order.

http://www.boltonhooks.com/index.html

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Here is a link to his website, there are videos on the site & YouTube. The BXpanded are nice too, very flexible & strong. My dealer welded 2 hooks on the bucket in line with the arms, as above go with 5/16 grab hooks there. I need to get one in the middle yet & plan on Kenny's. Need to figure out the extras I want to order.

http://www.boltonhooks.com/index.html
I read that the BX FEL/bucket is easy to twist, so you have to be sure to spread the load evenly between two hooks. If you just used one hook (say to pull a stump) you can twist the bucket.

After reading this, I decided to just mount one hook in the middle. That's good enough for pulling something with a chain or lifting something that is balanced. The load on the bucket and arms will always be even this way. However it would make "picking up and carrying" some loads more difficult.

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
I made a bracket for the bucket lip on my B3200 60" bucket for Kenny's Bolt on Hooks.

I chose to use the bolt on hook so that if I wanted I could swap to the Bolt on Clevis Eye if needed.

Attachments

Bloomj

Equipment
Apr 26, 2016
Greenville, SC
I made a bracket for the bucket lip on my B3200 60" bucket for Kenny's Bolt on Hooks.

I chose to use the bolt on hook so that if I wanted I could swap to the Bolt on Clevis Eye if needed.
I really like the way that looks. Too bad I don't know how to weld...

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio

Nice job on your bracket. Looks good!

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
Welding skill is easy to rent. Print that picture, take it and the bucket to a professional welding shop, write a check. Done.

That's a 30 minute job for a professional and you're pretty much guaranteed that it will be done right.

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
Thanks. All truth be known, I really don't know how to weld either... I've never had any formal training other than dad showing me a little bit and giving me a pile of scrap to play with.

From a simple How to Weld book to all of the information on the internet it isn't hard to pick up and it is a fun hobby.

Nice job on your bracket. Looks good!
Thank you.

Welding skill is easy to rent. Print that picture, take it and the bucket to a professional welding shop, write a check. Done.

That's a 30 minute job for a professional and you're pretty much guaranteed that it will be done right.
That is why I posted it. Copy away.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Another vote for Ken's Bolt On Hooks. He spent a considerable amount of time getting me set up, and rigorously tests everything. I ended up with 3 bolt on grab hooks on my bucket, and a couple of chain-end locking hooks (forget what they are called).
Very nice guy.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Bolt-on hooks are a great idea....

I have been moving boulders a bunch and use Harbor Freight 6000 lb straps and a 10,000lb binder strap. I use 14' HF chains with hooks attached to the same location to pull trees and posts out of the ground. NEVER hook to the lower bucket edge as you will damage or bend it. Always use the upper frame, like this...

Here's the chains...

Ray

Attachments

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Another vote for Ken's Bolt On Hooks. He spent a considerable amount of time getting me set up, and rigorously tests everything. I ended up with 3 bolt on grab hooks on my bucket, and a couple of chain-end locking hooks (forget what they are called).
Very nice guy.
Thank you sir! It was a pleasure meeting with you!

Those hooks are called "Twist Lock" hooks, available in grab or slip configuration.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Bolt-on hooks are a great idea....

I have been moving boulders a bunch and use Harbor Freight 6000 lb straps and a 10,000lb binder strap. I use 14' HF chains with hooks attached to the same location to pull trees and posts out of the ground. NEVER hook to the lower bucket edge as you will damage or bend it. Always use the upper frame, like this...

Here's the chains...

Ray
Ray, did you grind that piece out of the bucket where your chain hook is located (your second picture)? I am wondering about the strength at that point and if you made that cut so that the hook does not slip when hauling a load?