L2501 Whistle

June2016

Jun 24, 2016
VA
My L2501 with low hours makes a whistle sound from the center section (between your feet) of the tractor when first started until it completely warms up. It generally makes the sound for 5-10 seconds intermittently. It's done this from day one and is very hard to pin point exactly here it's coming from.

Does your tractor make the same noise? Thanks for the help!

June2016

Jun 24, 2016
VA
It's sounds like a mixture of a whistle and a squeal. Tried to record the sound but but it doesn't come through very well over the engine. It's loud enough to hear standing several feet away from the tractor. It's makes no difference if the clutch is pressed or not.. it will still make the sound.

June2016

Jun 24, 2016
VA
To add a little more info... the sound is generally only
noticeable when the tractor is at or near idle and the HST peddle is not being pressed.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
To add a little more info... the sound is generally only
noticeable when the tractor is at or near idle and the HST peddle is not being pressed.
June,

does this sound go away or get masked out with engine rpm increase?
Do you know what a bearing "squeal" sounds like?:)

June2016

Jun 24, 2016
VA
The problem is that the noise is not constant but while it's making the sound, I can increase the RPM to about 1300-1400 before I can't hear it anymore. As the RPM's increase the noise does not appear to change in pitch or magituide. After 1400 RPM the engine becomes to loud. The noise is very close to a bearing squeal sound.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I wonder if it could be the bypass value, have you tried lowering the 3pt to see if it goes away? It could be that the feed back rod needs adjusted.

June2016

Jun 24, 2016
VA
Thanks for the reply! The 3 point hitch can be all the way up or down and it still makes the sound.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Than it isn't the feed back rod.

If you are standing next to the tractor while it is running does the sound still sound like it is coming from the transmission area?

June2016

Jun 24, 2016
VA
With the tractor running its coming from the transmission area for sure. The area directly between your feet while sitting on the tractor.

June2016

Jun 24, 2016
VA
Found the source of the noise. See the attached picture. Its coming from the HST transmission line that goes to the filter. The sound appears to be coming from exactly where the line goes into the side of the tractor but its hard to tell.

Attachments

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
It is likely the charge relief valve operating that is making the noise. The tube you are pointing out is the delivery tube from the HST filter to the HST itself. The power steering pump on the engine is used to provide charge pressure. The noise might vary a little if you turn the steering but it might not either! If the HST is working good there is nothing to worry about except the noise. The basic L series are not noted for their quietness.
Ed

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
If the clutch pedal is depressed there is nothing turning in the transmission at all. So any bearings are eliminated.

June2016

Jun 24, 2016
VA
Thanks for the info. While the tractor is making the sound if I turn the steering wheel, the sounds does stop for maybe 2 seconds and then it returns. This is consistent with what you are saying. I was going to take the tractor to the dealer and see what they had to say but it's probably not worth it at this point. Going to change the fluid and filter asap. I'm not too worried about it as it's made the sound from day one.

Thanks!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If your sound stops for a couple seconds when moving the steering wheel, I would think your hearing a hydraulic whine. Check your position lever for the three point hitch, and bump the lever down a touch to see if the sound goes away. The positioning lever in the full up right position could be slightly out of adjustment causing the noise :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk