Brand new B2301 Starting Problems

DieselDogg

Equipment
B2301, backhoe, loader
Mar 24, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Two weeks ago picked up my first tractor. It's B2301 with FEL and BH. I have about 7 hours on it now. Last weekend was running it for 4 hours roughly and noticed that I can't get it to start unless I put the throttle at least about 1800 RPMs before cranking it. In other words if the throttle lever is all the way down or even 1/4 way up, it starts for a split second and dies right after. This is with the machine warm in 50 deg weather.

Could I be doing something wrong or does this sound like an issue?

The manual does say to move the throttle lever 1/2 way up for starting, but I can't tell if that's for the first cold start or every time you start it, warm or cold.

Thanks!

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Sorry to say but that's not right. It should start just as easy at idle as it does at 1/2 throttle. I assume once it's started at 1/2 throttle you can back it off to idle without a stall? If so, how's the power at those low rpm's? Just wondering if your having fuel pressure issues. Either way the dealer needs to take care of it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It doesn't sound like it's right, as most start at idle.
There is a spring inside the motor that overrides the governor to allow it to start.
Does it only do this when it's cold or all the time?
It could be the newer model engines in these tractors require you to move the throttle off of Idle position to cold start,and it might be part of the emissions system, and yes on non emissions equipped models.
But call the dealer and inquire. ;)

DieselDogg

Equipment
B2301, backhoe, loader
Mar 24, 2017
Woodinville, WA
It does it cold or warm. When I say warm, I mean warm. Like after running it for 30 min at 1800 RPM doing BH work. Turn it off and try to start and it doesn't.

Once it starts, you back it off and it idles fine. Not sure how the power is at idle as I don't have anything to compare it to.

Fun, fun, now I have to rent a trailer to take it to the dealer. BS!

Thanks for the quick replys

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I bought a B2301 in November and it starts at idle no bother. 13 hours on the clock. It does push some wet soot out initially but that is normal.
I don't know if you are in a winter mix state, or if you have run through a tank of fuel, but just in case the dealer filled it prior to winter mix, it might make a difference.
I can run mine up and down the range with no stalling and it set at a steady idle, takes ages to show on the temp gauge but the radiator it warm when I try it so it starts at idle cold - _20c without the block heater, just glow-plugs on or when hot after 40 minutes of heavy snow blowing.
You could ask the dealer to come out if they are not far, but I know Kubota does not give them travel time.
Good luck.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Call dealer, many will come out for a tractor that new. It might be a combination of small things. Some of the new tractors like my new B2650 say to start at around half throttle. On the other hand the L3560 with emissions control dpf says to start at idle. Which engine is in your B?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I had a problem like that with my BX, it was the fuel solenoid sticking. I found that by moving the throttle to full and back to idle before starting resolved the problem, and it then starts fine at idle.

Juiced06GTO

Equipment
2016 B2601
Nov 26, 2014
Sutton, MA
With only 7 hrs on it the dealer should be out there to take care of it, that is supposed to be one of the benefits of having a local dealer. I'd get on them quick about coming out to take a look at it.

DieselDogg

Equipment
B2301, backhoe, loader
Mar 24, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I did call the dealer on Fri and they said they will send a tech out, which was a bit of surprise to me since I didn't get the tractor from a local dealer in relation to where the tractor is right now. We have a second property about 6 hours away and I bought it there, but right now it's in Seattle.

They are suppose to get back to me on Monday to schedule a visit. We'll see what they say.

BTW, this is my very first thread on this forum and I can't believe how many responses I got! Seems like an awesome forum! Thanks everyone. I will be sure to update, once I know more.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Please be aware of under warranty repairs! Per your Kubota warranty hand book " all transportation costs are owner responsibility" any dealer service call charge are owner responsibility"

Repair labor and parts are covered under warranty.

Pat

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I had a problem like that with my BX, it was the fuel solenoid sticking. I found that by moving the throttle to full and back to idle before starting resolved the problem, and it then starts fine at idle.
I'm late to the party, but +1. Fix was just to manipulate it. If this is your issue, there really is no need to hassle with the service dept as the solenoid simply need to be "broken in"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCFKneqQe9g

DieselDogg

Equipment
B2301, backhoe, loader
Mar 24, 2017
Woodinville, WA
UPDATE: Local dealer sent a tech out and we could not replicate the problem when he was out here. The thing started just fine. This weekend I put about 2 hours on the clock with lots of starts and it was flawless. No idea what it was, but I think Flienlow might be right. Maybe it was just needing to break in?

I'm finally through my first tank of fuel, which happened to be farm diesel. Going to put some pump diesel in her now and see how it goes.

Now I noticed a new issue. My BH creeps right ever so slightly. I did ask the tech when he was out here and he said controls may not be properly adjusted. I'm going to create a new thread about it, maybe someone on here knows more about that issue.

Thanks for all the replies!

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
UPDATE: Local dealer sent a tech out and we could not replicate the problem when he was out here. The thing started just fine. This weekend I put about 2 hours on the clock with lots of starts and it was flawless. No idea what it was, but I think Flienlow might be right. Maybe it was just needing to break in?

I'm finally through my first tank of fuel, which happened to be farm diesel. Going to put some pump diesel in her now and see how it goes.

Now I noticed a new issue. My BH creeps right ever so slightly. I did ask the tech when he was out here and he said controls may not be properly adjusted. I'm going to create a new thread about it, maybe someone on here knows more about that issue.

Thanks for all the replies!
Looks like Im just up the hill from you. (clearview)