L3800 dt. 50 hr. service

buckaroo52

Equipment
Kubota L 3800 DT
Jun 5, 2013
Molalla, Oregon
My L3800 dt. will need it's 50 hr. service soon, wondering what brand engine oil is best to use ? My climate can range from 10 degrees in winter to rare 95~100 degree days in summer. Average range is 25~80 degrees or so. Also, should I be alarmed enough if a considerable amount of metal is found on the magnetic ring on the transmission filter to change the transmission fluid as well ? Your thoughts on UDT fluid vs. UDT 2 synthetic, and what brand filters ? Thanks !

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
I used all kubota oil with the m7040 the other day and demended SUDT2 and all kubota filters .

The L3800 it says on my book not to change the trans fluid at 50 hr but I will be and it will be like the m7040 . Kubota oil and filters and SUDT2 .

O and SUDT2 ain't cheap .

My m7040 was right at $520 just oil and filters . Good thing on my l3800 it only take 7 gallons or so of SUDT2 .

I was only charged for 2 hours labor even though it took 5 hours even with the canopy which only took 10 mins . I stayed and baby sit it the whole time .

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Buck my BX had a bunch of stuff too when I changed it at 50, but that's what the magnet and filter do catch all the stuff that somehow didn't get cleaned out.
And for my money don't cheap out my friend I know there's a bunch of other stuff out there that will work fluid wise, and most not as well as the Kubota stuff, SUDT, it aint cheap but it works and works well.
Oil well any GOOD diesel motor oil will serve you well I use Mobil only cause I got a super price on it use the weight called for in the manual. Filters, some guys use the big K filters most you can cross reference to a manufacturer, I use hasting filters when I can though there are a few filters you cannot cross ref, please to stay away from fram and the cheap store brands. Bottom line is you get what you pay for, and for the tractor, that gets a lot more abuse than your car or truck and costs as much, there's no point in going cheap. Just MHO

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
You should do a search on the filters. It has determined that so far NONE of the aftermarket, or "will fit" filters are built to Kubota specs as none of them so far comes with the magnet. If they are missing a important design in the lack of the magnet, what else are they missing, less filtration media, paper end caps rather than metal, paper anti drain back valve rather than rubber, and other stuff you cannot see.

Yes, someone else makes Kubota filters - and the SAME company that makes Kubota oem filters may also sell you a aftermarket filter. That does not mean the filters they build for Kubota and to Kubota specs are the same filters that they build to "there will fit" specs. Kubota does not "spec to a price point", they build a filter that works per there design parameters, and most aftermarket filters are "spec'd to a price point" to be price competitive.

Big difference. As noted, you get what you pay for, and that is so true in filters as well as most other things in life.

David

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
L3800DT at 50 hrs.

I changed trans filter, but not the oil. Had fine metal on the magnet, not a concern.

Changed engine oil & filter with 15W40 Kubota oil & Kubota filter.

Greased all fittings. Do not overlook the two at the front axle pivot!

Second engine oil change used Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic & Kubota filter.

Front axle will be changed soon. Not sure if I'll use SUDT2 or 80W90 gear oil.

When I do change the trans oil I'll use SUDT2

Will only use Kubota filters.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I use Mobil 1 5w-40 turbo diesel oil and a fram TG8A oil filter. Has the best filter efficiency of just about any filter on the market. Used to use mobil 1 filters until I saw filtering efficiency data. Fram makes damn near every oil filter on the market including the OEMs.

Use kubota trans filter, no need for trans fluid change @ 50hr. Order it online and save some $$. Wouldn't hurt to add the air filter to your order and set it aside until needed. I bang the dirt out of the air filter on the solstices and equinoxes (usually skipping the winter solstice due to lack of use).

L3800DT at 50 hrs.

Greased all fittings. Do not overlook the two at the front axle pivot!
Or the 3 on the underside for the pedals! Front-most grease point on the front axle needs to have the bolt removed before greasing so it can vent (it's in the manual)

Last edited:

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
My L3800 dt. will need it's 50 hr. service soon, wondering what brand engine oil is best to use ? My climate can range from 10 degrees in winter to rare 95~100 degree days in summer. Average range is 25~80 degrees or so. Also, should I be alarmed enough if a considerable amount of metal is found on the magnetic ring on the transmission filter to change the transmission fluid as well ? Your thoughts on UDT fluid vs. UDT 2 synthetic, and what brand filters ? Thanks !

Buckaroo 52,

I used all Kubota stuff. Filters, oil, etc....plus, changed the ring out and used it for a picture fram. My magnetic ring didn't have much metal on it. With a good tractor like you have, I wouldn't risk using any other oil change/service parts on it. The difference in price isn't worth it. You are not far from dealers in Molalla, so go for the Kubota stuff is my recommendation. My nearest dealer is Hood River or Gresham. For that reason, I keep a few extra expendable filters here.

Have fun at the Buckaroo,

Good luck,

Burt

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I use Mobil 1 5w-40 turbo diesel oil and a fram TG8A oil filter. Has the best filter efficiency of just about any filter on the market. Used to use mobil 1 filters until I saw filtering efficiency data. Fram makes damn near every oil filter on the market including the OEMs.

Use kubota trans filter, no need for trans fluid change @ 50hr. Order it online and save some $$. Wouldn't hurt to add the air filter to your order and set it aside until needed. I bang the dirt out of the air filter on the solstices and equinoxes (usually skipping the winter solstice due to lack of use).

Or the 3 on the underside for the pedals! Front-most grease point on the front axle needs to have the bolt removed before greasing so it can vent (it's in the manual)
I've not been a fan of Frame filters in the past, maybe they are better
now? I stick with OEM for the Kubotas and use Wix on everything else.

Good call on the other grease fittings & the vent bolt on the front one.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I've not been a fan of Frame filters in the past, maybe they are better
now? I stick with OEM for the Kubotas and use Wix on everything else.

Good call on the other grease fittings & the vent bolt on the front one.
The rear axle grease fitting allows excess grease to overflow into the propeller shaft housing which is good to go. The front one uses sealed bearings that can be damaged if not vented!

Check this out on the filter debate..... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/e...visit-frams-r-d-facility-dayton-ohio-1261517/

Buckaroo 52,

I used all Kubota stuff. Filters, oil, etc....plus, changed the ring out and used it for a picture fram.

Burt
Read the above link too! Also, the larger oil filter protects the fuel filter plastic bowl, which is all too easily broken as others have shown. A benefit you do not get with the factory filter, or factory filter size.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Some of what fram MFGs....

They make Honda's OEM filters as well.

They claim that 4 out 5 vehicles use their products as OE

Attachments

Last edited:

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Not sure why the filter debate keeps on going, it is pretty much a dead issue, the facts are the facts, anyone just walking down the parts aisle can "heft" the various filters in there own hand and feel differences. The question comes up, if all these filters are "oem equivalent" or "built to the same specs" why are there differences? How could anyone ignore the facts and think "all filers are the same". Could a aftermarket filter be as good, or even better than a oem? Certainly yes, (see comment below in one area that WIX filters exceed) but when was the last time you could find a detailed engineering spec on a Kubota filter verses any other filter. That information is NOT out there at our level as it is for oil and other products.

Again, it makes no difference if a oem uses a particular filter manufactures product. It in no way means that the filter that a particular manufacture, building to oem specifications is the same filter that they build to there specs to sell to you at a certain price point.

I personally, in conjunction with oil filter tests for the company fleet have taken many manufactures filter apart in a effort to make a actual and verifiable in black and white determination of inner filter construction, and as I have posted before taken several manufactures oem and "will fit" filters apart and have noticed WIDE and SIGNIFIGANT differences not only on the amount of filtration media and the filter media micron, but also in how the filtration media is anchored to the base and end caps, as well as the internal supporting structure, metal verses paper end caps, and the anti drain back valve if present, may be deleted from the "will fit" filters, or paper rather than rubber, etc. Heck even the old mark one eyeball and hand will tell you there are significant differences between even the metal case thickness on various filter?

Hint if you do not want to search, it was determined that the WIX filters gave the closest approximation to the oem designs, and in at least the case design, was actually a little better.

Oil, hydraulic and other spin on type filters are somewhat unique in this respect, unless they are the cartridge type which are visually identifiable as to construction, although the media filtration micron size is still requires more than the "eye" inspection.

Each to there own though.....

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
At my first service I switched all my Kubotas over to Amsoil synthetic in the engines and transmissions. As far as the Kubota fluid I would go with the SUDT2 over the regular UDT.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Hint if you do not want to search, it was determined that the WIX filters gave the closest approximation to the oem designs, and in at least the case design, was actually a little better.

Each to there own though.....
So Wix is close to Fram you're saying? Why not buy a fram? 4 out of 5 filters are Fram.

http://www.champlabs.com/sites/champlabs.com/files/man_up/Brand.pdf

Some people can see the filters coming off of the same exact line and still believe otherwise. To each their own indeed.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
So Wix is close to Fram you're saying? Why not buy a fram? 4 out of 5 filters are Fram.

http://www.champlabs.com/sites/champlabs.com/files/man_up/Brand.pdf

Some people can see the filters coming off of the same exact line and still believe otherwise. To each their own indeed.
Sometimes I really wonder why I try. Maybe I should give up.....

But, wait perhaps this will help, in case you misread the above post I made, NO I never said WIX was close to Fram, I posted WIX was closer to OEM.

If you had read the first part, let alone actually paid attention to how things are manufactured, there can be a difference between oem spec'd filters and other filters coming off the SAME line, but built to different specs.

It is called production runs. Production runs VARY according to the particular spec built that day, that week.

Need another example? Look at different quality tires from the same manufacture, yup you guessed it, they are many times built on the SAME production line, but certainly built to different standards in different production runs.

Heck for that matter look at GM, Dodge or Ford trucks, each comes off of their respective production line, but all vary greatly in the make up of the truck.... why are they not all the same since they come off the same production lines?

You provided a USESLESS for factual internal construction information to a Champion filters. Nothing pertaining or addressing what I habe pointed out is in that "press release" If as you say, all filters are evidently the same, WHY tell me, at least so far, NONE of the aftermarket filters built with a magnet in them, if as you say they all come off the same production line?

Why if you say Fram and WIX are evidently the same, is the case on the WIX approximately THREE times as thick as the Fram? Why again if they are all the same and come off the same assembly line?

Why, as I answered CORRECTLY before, different filters are designed to different specs, EVEN if they come off the same assembly line.

Each to there own indeed, I said in a nice way, I do take offence at your condescending way it was directed at me.

Which is why I rarely post these days, just not worth it, why take my time to post facts, and have them so ignored.

So again, what ever floats your boat, whatever way you personally choose to go, it is your tractor and you money, do what you want, heck it is still a semi free country for the most part.

David

Last edited:

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Saying that a thicker element equates to a better filter is about as arbitrary as saying red apples taste better because they're red. Facts are are things like filtering efficiency. Ill stick with facts like that. If you want to factor color and size or thickness into your equation of worth, thats up to you.

You're also basing information from things you've seen many years in the past.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
anyone just walking down the parts aisle can "heft" the various filters in there own hand and feel differences.
By this analogy are you saying that a heavier filter is better???? :confused:

So a Studebaker is better than a Ferrari???

Weight of an item has no real bearing on the quality...Wait I take that back the weight of gold is higher the purer it is. :p