Must Haves for new BX25D: Shield Plates, Tow Hitch, Fuel Shut & Quick Attach

Gdemos

Equipment
BX25D, Cab, BXPanded Plow, B2789 Rr PTO Blower, Brotek Thumb, spacers
Dec 9, 2013
RI
my new BX25D & hard cab are on its way to replace my BX24.
I have a couple quick questions, to see what products will work, if they exist.
I apologize that there may be answers to all this by searching around but I'm hopeful to consolidate some answers to what may be commonly asked questions. Thanks for the input

Shield Plate:
I'd like to get a shield plate that will protect the HST fan yet don't want to have to remove when servicing fuel filter, or when using the Mid Mount Mower. Which plate from Bro-Tek or BX Panded accomplishes this? I understand there is a front shield as well, is this the one that cannot be used whilst MMM is attached? If so, I'll avoid it as I don't want to have a shield that cannot be used with the Mower. Are the skid plates even required with the new BX25D to protect the HST fan - did Kubota catch on that something was needed here and build it into the new units?

Tow Hitch:
I often find myself wanting to tow with a 2" ball while the backhoe is attached. I've seen some welded U bolt type setups but I prefer to use the ball mount hitch. Has anyone come up with a ball hitch that can quick connect to the bucket of the backhoe? Something that won't interfere with digging, or can be quickly removed when digging?

Fuel Shutoff:
Has anyone had longterm success installing a fuel shutoff valve in-line with the undermount fuel filter? This is always a messy operation even with vice grips and always needs to be done at the worst time. Do fuel shutoff valves have the durability to hold-up? If so, what size will fit the diameter of the fuel line and on what side of the fuel line should it go (rear or front fuel line; i.e., the bow or stern)

Quick Connect:
I understand the BX25D has some quick connects for the FEL bucket, making it easier to go from FEL Bucket, to Forks for example. I have a Rear PTO B2789 Snowblower with a 3pt. hitch connect. Pg. 15 of the Manual, Figure 9 illustrates a Quick Hitch. Is there some sort of quick connect related to the 3 point hitch that I'm missing?

t33jetman

Equipment
BX25D, TLB, 1860 bal. bucket, Curtis Hard Cab
Aug 31, 2013
Wooster, Ohio
I have the BX25 with the Curtis hard cab, installed it myself in one night, easy. I have a thread on here under Bx25D Curtis Cab install (All Steel) with pictures of everything I did with all the options.

BroTek sheild is the one you want to do oil changes without taking it off , did my 50 hour change no problem. The little door with the BroTek seal , will swing out the way to get hand in to unscrew oil filter.

Tow ball is a pic off the net of a guy and what he made to tow his boat and the pin come out to remove it.

The BX25D, comes with hydraulic quick connects already mounted in the rear for the backhoe, if you did not get backhoe this is an option you will have to order and install.

Good luck

t33jetman@embarqmail.com

Attachments

Last edited:

Gdemos

Equipment
BX25D, Cab, BXPanded Plow, B2789 Rr PTO Blower, Brotek Thumb, spacers
Dec 9, 2013
RI
Thanks Jetman. I ran through your hardcab thread and indeed you illustrated some compelling cases to go with the same cab I'm getting from Curtis. I'm in touch with Richard at Bro-Tek to get the spacers and shield ordered. Now that ball hitch off the backhoe bucket you pictured -- that's the item! I imagine wherever you found this, the guy machined it himself. Wish I could find one for myself, looks ideal.

-Greg

t33jetman

Equipment
BX25D, TLB, 1860 bal. bucket, Curtis Hard Cab
Aug 31, 2013
Wooster, Ohio
Gdemos,

That bucket hitch is easy to make , just take a long look at it.

If you don't want to do it , any welding shop , or high school shop , or fabrication shop in the area can do it in 30 min. just take this photo and the measurements of the bucket and boom bada bing its done.

I am working on some more stuff for my tractor and have learned just dive in or look it up on YOUTUBE and learn how to do it yourself. I am amazed at what I have done and will show you guys when I have it completed.

Good luck, and make it happen, you can do it !

kenka

Equipment
BX25D + Snowblower + Sweeper + Blade + Mower Deck + 14' Dump Trailer
Jan 8, 2017
Calgary
Hey Jetman,

I like the hitch set up on the backhoe. Couple/few questions if you could help out....

1) Any excess stress experienced while towing?
2) What is the most you've comfortably towed? I have a 1,000lb max load dump trailer I would like to tow with it. Should be ok?
3) In the picture it is easy to see how the pivot pin works but can you try and describe or post a pic of how the hitch is held in place?

Thanks, Ken

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
IMG_6191.jpg
Ken, if you want to tow around larger trailers, I picked up a $69. Hitch piece and put pins on it to use with the quick hitch on the rear. I have no problem jockeying Car hauler trailers, boat trailers etc with this set up. Just back up, lift the lever and go.
You might want rear wheel spacers too, it really makes a difference

kenka

Equipment
Jan 8, 2017
Calgary
Thanks Bearskinner,

The thing I need to do is use the front end loader to lift full buckets and dump into a 1000lb tow trailer to move dirt out of a tight area and therefore need to keep the backhoe on to offset the weight of the full buckets. I have never tried to lift full buckets without the backhoe...I just assumed you need it on if using the FEL. Anybody know what the FEL load limit is without the backhoe? Because I think I need to keep the backhoe on I need a way to tow the trailer with the backhoe on the unit. In other words use FEL to load trailer then tow it away, dump reload, dump etc. Hope this makes sense....any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Ken

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My preference is trailer attatched to front of tractor. A little practice and its easy to place trailer exactly where you want it. If i had a loader, i would mount a ball to top of bucket,extend it forward off bucket a few inches. Roll bucket forward,set ball under coupler and roll it back.

I have had situations with trailers on my three point trailer adapter, tandem trailers backing into storage shed, and back heavy units will lift the 3 point. Not the case with a backhoe on it but my thoughts are its heavy enough back there, wouldnt want to stress three point any more than i have to.

kenka

Equipment
Jan 8, 2017
Calgary
Thanks Frank,

When the backhoe is on the trailer (which i need to use the fel) I can't use the three point hitch. I'll think about your suggestion to mount hitch onto fel.

Ken

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
If your working in a tight area, you can keep the backhoe off and put a few weights on the rear 3 point hitch, it will keep you a few feet shorter. I have been using my FEL with nothing but a quick hitch on the rear, moving snow piles and it's really stable. You can feel the tipping point, snow doesn't do it, but a bucket full of gravel will feel nose heavy

kenka

Equipment
Jan 8, 2017
Calgary
I have determined that the loader weight limit is 240 kg without the backhoe on the tractor so I'm going to see how stable it is. If necessary I'll add weight to the rear via a three point hitch ballast. Thanks for all that replied.

kenka

Equipment
Jan 8, 2017
Calgary
Hello again,

I was able to find a way to make a rear hitch work with the backhoe on the tractor. This way I can load dirt directly from the backhoe into a trailer while connected and tow other items without removing the backhoe if necessary. I attached it to the bottom plate of the backhoe with a spacer and hitch extension sleeves. This way there is no chance of undue stress on hydraulics from towing by connecting to the bucket.

The trailer I am towing is small 1000 lb dump trailer (John Deer...I know it's not orange) with minimal tongue weight. If necessary I can remove one of the sleeves to reduce interference with the backhoe in motion.

The only sacrifice here is that when loading the tractor on a dump trailer with steep ramps I need to use blocks to elevate the rear of the tractor when climbing the ramp because the hitch (with one sleeve removed) reduces the rear height of the tractor and can ground out.

Otherwise not a bad option and no welding.

Ken

Attachments

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
As long as you dont have a lot of tongue weight. With an extension that long, a little weight could bend or crack the mount under the hoe.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Quick Connect:
I understand the BX25D has some quick connects for the FEL bucket, making it easier to go from FEL Bucket, to Forks for example. I have a Rear PTO B2789 Snowblower with a 3pt. hitch connect. Pg. 15 of the Manual, Figure 9 illustrates a Quick Hitch. Is there some sort of quick connect related to the 3 point hitch that I'm missing?
I attached a picture of the "Kubota Loader Mounted Quick Hitch" that makes switching implements pretty easy. Uses the standard Kubota pin configuration.
Ai2 makes their own version that uses the same concept. https://bxattachments.com/products/kubota-bx-series-gen-2-quick-attach/ Ai2 also makes a FEL-mounted trailer hitch.

Attachments

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Re: Must Haves for new BX25D: Shield Plates, Tow Hitch, Fuel Shut & Quick Attach

Made this...

I have the Brotek skid plates...front and rear. It's easy to change the fuel filter...four nuts and a 18v impact gun and it hinges down enough to service.

A small pair of vice grips is all you need for fuel cut off...

I highly recommend wheel spacers...I bought BroTek's 3 inch ones and it completely changed the stability of the tractor...I feel much more comfortable on hills and inclines.

Don't forget ROPs lights...

And I removed all my safety switches and installed a emergency starter bypass. The tractor was spending way too many hours trying hard not to kill me...and I was tired of spending hours in the rain trying to figure out which switch was stopping me...

-Mac

Last edited:

kenka

Equipment
Jan 8, 2017
Calgary
Yeah I hear ya...I don't plan on pulling any heavy tongue weights. It just relieves the need to remove the backhoe to pull anything light duty.

kenka

Equipment
Jan 8, 2017
Calgary
Thought I'd add a picture of the set up I've been describing. This trailer has very little tongue weight and it works out really well for picking up items with the mechanical thumb and or backhoe then placing in trailer for dumping elsewhere. When hauling dirt I load the trailer and fel to move it away from this area where I can't get anything bigger into. Trees and house all around a very isolated back yard. In this area I need to remove something like 30-40 trailer loads and bring in road crush of equal quantity. With that many loads I didn't want to be pushing a trailer the distance I had to go to dump....

Attachments

Last edited:

Redtoorange

Equipment
B2650, BH77, 63" front mount snowblower, land pride bb,fel
Apr 7, 2017
Ont, Canada
I have the same trailer, the one time I tried hauling dirt the dump latch wouldn't hold. Did you modify yours?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kenka

Equipment
Jan 8, 2017
Calgary
No I didn't do any mods. Mine works well. Even bent it once, bent it back and all good. I remember putting it together and there was some trickiness to the way to install the latch. If you have the instructions maybe double check that it is installed correctly.

The only thing I hate about the trailer is when dumping dirt probably 1/2 the load stays on the 45 degree non removable tail gate. Then you gotta shovel urassoff.

Redtoorange

Equipment
B2650, BH77, 63" front mount snowblower, land pride bb,fel
Apr 7, 2017
Ont, Canada
Came assembled from the dealer when I bought my x500 I got them to throw in the trailer. Course that doesn't mean it is done right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk