Seeking New Mower/Tractor Opinions

After reading, which machine do you recommend?

• Z726x

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BX series

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • ZD1021

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Gary90

Mar 24, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I am currently torn on a purchasing decision. Last year I bought a Z125s to replace a 17 year old JD lawn tractor. Initially the mower was great (nice cut, no problems). By the end of last season I put about 85 hours on it mowing my 4.5-5 acre yard. It also had several mechanical problems which I worked through last year. In addition, the seat suspension system is very weak. For any of the "soft" settings, the seat bottoms out, and I only weigh about 160-170 lb. My yard is a country yard, and is therefore somewhat "lumpy." It has many imperfections and they go through my entire body (and I'm not overly sensitive or frail, in my late 20s). The seat suspension system just wasn't very good.

My yard: fairly large to me (~ 5 acres), approximately 20 trees (plus plans to plant a few more), nothing very steep (max angle is probably 30-35 degrees), many rough areas (small holes, deep impressions, exposed root systems)

Reasons I am not satisfied with my Z125s and would like to find best machine to resolve these issues:
- long mowing time (would like to reduce total mow time)
- uncomfortable operation
- fuel tank insufficient (always had to add gas at some point during mowing, the tank did not hold as much as spec sheet shows), plus I really despise the sight window and would prefer a gas guage
- low reliability: this year when I first tried to start it, the deck vibrated and system died when I tried to engage PTO. Also had several problems last year during mowing season.

Thus far one of my local dealers has offered $3,500 for my Z125s, so I will apply that towards my new machine. My short list has come down to three machines, but would be open to any suggestions.

Z726x: larger mowing deck, faster operation max speed, larger fuel tank, extremely comfortable base seats and option of suspension system, commercial grade vs residential, Kawasaki engines better quality than Kohler, price ~ $9,000

BX series (with MMM, BH, FEL): larger mowing deck, rated 0.4 mph faster than Z125s (although not sure if it can mow at that speed), several potential uses for the implements (dig around some large stumps I am trying to get rid of, maintain long gravel driveway, dig holes for new trees, move large rocks around, dig up rocks on property, and could probably find many more uses). Also, my ZT mower was easy to drive, but compared to my old JD garden tractor mower I had (which was old, worn out, just came with my house), I missed the way it drove (steering wheel, sitting up higher, less abusive to my body while driving). One of my local dealers has a brand new BX25D (BH, FEL, no MMM) for $18,699. It seems like good price considering the lowest build price on Kubota website is over $20,000.

Also considering the ZD1021 with 60" deck, but more of a fringe possibility than the two above. I'm sure it's a great mower, but for $12-14,000 it would be a lot of cash for one function.

I appreciate any opinions, especially if anyone has been in a similar situation or uses any of the above equipment.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Step away from the wimpy gas powered models and step up to the diesel powered models.
Yes they cost more, but the are built better and have better options. ;)

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Step away from the wimpy gas powered models and step up to the diesel powered models.
Yes they cost more, but the are built better and have better options. ;)
+1. Also, you will get longer run times between fill-ups.

As for voting, if you want to use one unit for everything you described, there is only one real choice on your list.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
+1. Also, you will get longer run times between fill-ups.

As for voting, if you want to use one unit for everything you described, there is only one real choice on your list.
I agree with this but you have left out a good option. That would be the front runner type mowers. They have the steering wheel and go around obstacles great. I own a BX, an Exmark zero turn, and a John Deere F-725 and I do not mow with the BX as it is too slow. Mows great tho. If time is no concern by all means get the BX

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Who sold you such a small unit for that amount of acres?:confused:

I sold ZD's to people with less acres! You need to pony up for the amount of acres you are covering. I know I am spending you money! But in the end you have something more fuel efficient, less maintenance and heavier setup to last many years.

Pat

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
while im still considered a NOOB on Kubo tractors....

im pretty experienced on Kubo zero turn mowers..

like you im in the hilly country & mow about 5-6 acres with some good slopes.

if your going to mow with a KUBO zero turn?

for your property? move up to the ZD331.

now lets get into something that will really help you...

Kubo's run great, mow great... BUT IF you lose a wheel motor on a hill?

you are a goner till you hit the bottom or a tree. trust me on this ... its happened to me twice.

when you mow angles & steep slopes (20*+ is a steep slope for a zero)... one motor always gets more wear than the other.. & Kubo's have a tendency to just suddenly crap out with little warning..

& your off to the races...

honestly i no longer mow with them for this reason. 2 downhill slalom runs was enough for me.

move over to a Hustler. they have REAL drum mechanical breaks.. & if you do lose a motor? you jsut push on the brakes & stop.

i can help you find a good one in your area. way less than new. you have lots of lawn care outfits around there who are selling off their 2014's..

this is what you need:

https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/super-z-hyperdrive

spent about 3hrs on mine today... grammar suspension seat with isolators & they will climb 30* with no trouble.. & on the flats? 17mph MOWING SPEED.

no thats not a joke.. with only a 60" deck it took my mowing from 5-6 hrs down to 3hrs tops.

Gary90

Mar 24, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Thanks for all of your opinions. One thing I may not have mentioned, which factors into my decision, is that I have a Kubota dealership very close to my home (< 5-6 miles). So, obtaining parts is very convenient, plus I would not have to travel far if service was needed.

As for now I am stuck with my nonfunctional Z125s. Very disappointing. My goal is to get it running, mow with it once or twice and then trade it in.

I'm glad to hear good things about the diesel engine powered mowers. I am thus far impressed with the ZD models. Are the 227s and 331s the older line of diesel models? The 1021/1211/1511 look newer and the Kubota website has the 1511 listed as a "new" model. My dealer has at least one unsold 227 and 331 from 2016, I will contact them about prices, hopefully it will be less than website build since they need to clear them out from last year.

I believe last year the Z125s was such an improvement from a JD 54" garden tractor (with max speed of ~ 5.8 mph) that it did not seem like too small of a mower. I tend to make up my mind before going into a place like a dealership, and therefore don't share details of my plans for the machine. I had even picked out the specific stock # I wanted because for whatever reason it seemed better than the other ones.

I will be getting some prices of their diesel mowers (227, 331, 1021) and proceed from there. I still want a BX pretty badly, and may get a good ZT and consider a slightly larger tractor later this summer that would not be used to mow so that I could do some other work to my property. But right now with my grass getting longer I need a mower soon.

Will follow-up soon.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
sdk1968, you mention ".... grammar suspension seat with isolators & they will climb 30* with no trouble.. & on the flats? 17mph MOWING SPEED."

The 17MPH my be published in their literature, I don't know I didn't look it up, but it's a braggadocios statement. Mower may operate at 17MPH, but to cut grass at that speed...I doubt especially with hilly country and slopes, even with grammar suspension seat.

It would be a challenge at that speed on a lawn as flat and smooth as glass!

Hustler is a good mower made by Excel Industries in Hesston, Ks. That's the plant where the guy went "postal" a couple of years ago!

But I still prefer Grasshopper!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Overall, the BX is going to be a much more useful machine to own, particularly the BX25D with the loader and backhoe. Don't be afraid to put a 60" Mid Mount Mower on it and mow your lawn. Unless you want to mow like a bat out of h***, you will get a lot mowed with it. With the loader and backhoe, you will find many uses that you never even dreamed of. A tractor will be year round useful and will save a lot of physical exertion moving heavy loads. While a z-turn has unmatched manuverability, they only have one purpose and sit around useless the rest of the time. With a tractor, the uses are unlimited.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
In my opinion having had tractors with both mid mount and rear towed in the country, large lots, and now with a BX on a city lot. I definitely would not get a BX for your uses. I'd go for at least the B series Kubotas or larger. Look for at least a 5 foot mower.

Myb3350

Equipment
B3350 JD430 Moline BG and BF
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
Something to think about, I purchased a Kubota B3350 cab tractor with air, I have a 5 ft rear finish mower, I used it to cut my lawn does a great job, no dust no sweat, after I cut my lawn I hook up my 5 ft Bush hog and hit the pasture, I have about 20 acres to keep cut, great combo.

groomerbuck

Nov 14, 2015
Palmerton, Pennsylvania,
Im a big fan of ferris zero turns. They have coil over suspension on all four corners and with the added suspension seat it creates a very plush ride over bumpy terrain. My father has a 60" deck on his ferris(27hp Kawasaki) and mows about 5acres which is rolling hills with several very bumpy patches in about 90mins.

I was just at messicks kubota today and they sell both ferris and kubota zero turns. I know hands down which id pick if i was to choose.

Hans Hans

Equipment
L2501
Mar 27, 2017
Illinois
I have very much the same situation as you have, including a 900ft gravel drive. Several years ago I decided to buy a BX2360. Now, almost 500hrs later I have found that the BX has done almost everything I have needed it to do and has given me zero problems.

I have thought about getting a bigger tractor for tractor work and a zero turn for grass, but like you I have a"county yard" and going faster with a zero turn will not help me if I can't stay in the seat. So, in the end I always come back to the BX; It's not the fastest grass cutter, but does a very good job (and sips fuel!). It's not the biggest loader, but will surprise you with what it can do. So far it has proved to be my best option.

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
I have a ZD331, and I have only one sloped area to cut which is about 50 yards long. The rest of the acreage is no problem at all.

However, if I am rough cutting, I use a flail mower behind my tractor.

I used to use my BX and a brush hog, but the 22 hp BX would not cut as quick and eventually had to be cleaned out as it would get overheated. The grass was pretty tall at that time.

If you are mostly hills, it is hard to say. I have never run into having a wheel motor fail me. The flail mower behind a BX may be the best answer, but all hills require some forethought.

Gary90

Mar 24, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It has been a few days, thought I would post some updates.

I was finally able to get my Z125s running again. The problem was a mouse set up home under my engine cover. They had chewed through several electrical wires and probably most importantly, the spark plug-magneto connection. So, after soldering three wires together and putting in a new magneto/spark plug wire/cable, the machine is running again. I had several traps in my storage shed, but I guess the mice just needed shelter and not food since there are corn and wheat fields all around. So, can't hold this mechanical issue against the Z125s. While I had the mower taken apart waiting for the part to come in, I was able to install my new blades I bought last fall so I'll get to use those once or twice before trading it in.

I was able to get some prices on some units, they are below, all prices are for new units, but they are leftover from 2016;

'16 ZD1021 $12,550
'16 BX2670 (FEL, 60" MMM): $15,850
'16 BX2370 (FEL, 60"MMM): $14,150
'16 BX25D (FEL, 60" MMM, BH): $20,100
'17 Z26x: $8,799

These don't include taxes, and they don't include the fees they charge if financing (even though 0% they have aboout $150-300 in one-time fees for financing).

I'm curious how these prices look to you all, compared to what any of you have paid or have known others to pay. I've never been the one to pay the asking price for anything. The above represents the highest I would pay, and I would negotiate further down in person once I select which model I prefer.

Right now I am still very torn on my selection. I have visited the dealership a few times after hours over the past few days (they keep their stuff out in the open like most car dealerships, not a gated lot), and the ZD1021 is very appealing. It looks and feels very high quality, has very comfortable seats, and seems like it would be enjoyable to mow with each week.

I like the BX line as well, but there are a few concerns I have with it. One, the seat seems somewhat uncomfortable. It is hard material, lacks a suspension system, and the armrests are so low my forearm will never touch them unless I sit completely crooked and try to make contact.

A second major concern, and more important to me, is the difference in mower deck construction and design. When looking at the spindle assemblies of the BX vs the ZD, the assemblies of the BX are about half the size and seem inferior. In addition, the overall design underneath and on the exterior seem cheaper and more rudimentary. I realize the ZD is a mower and mower only, and the BX is a more well-rounded machine, but the difference is striking. If any of you get the chance to view under the decks of brand new BXs and ZDs before they're used, it is an interesting comparison.

For those of you with a BX and 60" MMM, are you satisfied with the mow quality? How fast can you mow, speed? Is the ride comfortable?

Gary90

Mar 24, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Thanks for all of the opinions. After a lot thought I decided to get a new ZD1021. It's diesel, ZT, and has a 60" mower deck. If I went with the Z726x I would have been second guessing whether I should have gotten the diesel, and if I didn't get a 60" deck I would have wanted that as well. I chose not to get the BX this time just because I do work a lot and sometimes have to squeeze in time to mow and therefore do need to mow it quickly at times.

Also, I want my yard to look good when I do spend the time to mow it. It my not be as important as it seemed to me, but I found that the BX mower decks of all sizes were rated at a blade tip speed of ~ 14,500. That just seemed like it could be a big deal with regard to cut quality since the ZT is around 18,000 fpm. I see myself getting a tractor in the next year or later this summer, but I'll keep my ZT and not worry about a mower deck on the tractor.

So far I got it home and mowed the larger side of my yard, and it's cutting great plus the fuel needle barely moved. The place I get gas (ethanol free), has it's 87 gas at a nickel higher per gallon than diesel. Might take a long time but with each gallon I buy I save a little money. Plus, this is my first diesel engine, and I love the way it sounds, even better is how the blades/deck sound when I engage the PTO!

There's picture of new unit, last time it will be spotless.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
okay, so know that I love kubotas....except their zero turns. and I have good reason. I have personally owned my SCAG cheetah 72" for 5 years now and mowed 6-7 acres weekly with it plus many side jobs with it. it has been absolutely flawless in every aspect. couple hundred hours on it. I purchased it knowing it should last me forever as when I was a kid I worked for a landscape company and mowed for thousands of hours on one. (was the maintainer etc from when it was new, when I left the company it was still running great)

on saturdays, the place I work for asks people to do OT work, they have their own equipment and I can't use mine because of the nature of the business. anyway, we have 3 identical kubota zero turns that run every day 8 hours per day. they were great, up to about 200 hours, then they rapidly had problems. hard plastic discharge chute seems to crack and break on them weekly, even without impacts, we have bent decks on things my scag would laugh at. broken spindles, 1 bad motor, 1 motor using oil almost as fast as fuel. 2 hydrostatic motor failures, seats breaking, bad wiring harnesses, about a dozen PTO switches (all kubota parts are used). seat switches, even a pulley failure. 1 clutch failure. several steering stabilizer replacements and a fuel tank leak (manufacturers defect) all 3 of these kubotas are right at 1000 hours now. we have a dedicated small engine shop that maintains these kubotas, every week they get greased, oil changed, new blades, and checked for anything that isn't right. biweekly hydraulic fluid changes etc. again, using all kubota products we keep in stock. as a result of this, I will never own a kubota mower. I figure someone else must be making the non-diesel commercial grade ones. as a result of all of this, our grounds manager has received approval to buy new ones this next year because the fix and repair bill has become quite high (those are the repairs I'm aware of) so, this season the mowing crew is going to meet at a local field owned by one of us and I'm bringing out my scag, they are bringing one of the old kubotas, someone is bringing a dixie chopper, a grasshopper dealer is bringing one, and my scag dealer has agreed to bring a Tigercat and some other options as well and we will make a day swapping mowers out and mowing with everything to decide what we like and don't like. my dealer and I are confident the scag will get the contract for 3 tigercats with diesels most likely.
the 3 kubotas we got were about 10k a piece. so not cheap at all.

we also have a large WAM by JD that seems to be holding up pretty decent (like 128 inch cut or something, hydraulic batwings, 4wd, almost zero turn abilities etc) very few make those standalone WAMs like that (Wide Area Mowers)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Who in the name of John Paul Jones mows at 17mph ??????:eek: