Dune buggy rebuild

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
try to get the rear ones with rounded outside edges and no knobby's.. keeps the tire from digging in and flipping the cart.
Agreed! I've never understood the trend for square cornered, sharp cornered offroad tires in the first place.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Go cart.a few of us got together and bought one. 6' long. Little cart wheels on front,snowmobile powertrain with wheels where track drive was. Would smoke the tires all day long. At 80 mph it was a handful to keep it on the asphalt on a 2 lane highway. Would keep up with a 79 trans am 455/4 speed.

Was a death trap. Most fun we ever had.
340 single cylinder two stroke.

Build it safe, back in the 80's it was a little crazy.we never thought of playin safe. Did wear a helmet though.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Base coat of paints done :D waiting on my brother in law to come over and do the camo portion

Found some missing bolts in the suspension that I'll have to address also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wife didn't like the camo paint job. :( she wants it black, so I'll get some flat black tomorrow and hit it again :rolleyes: She's also looking at the bucket seats for it too :rolleyes: The bench seat isn't very comfortable.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Women!!!! :rolleyes: camouflaged it is :D she checked it again after the paint dried and decided she like it :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Daren, you should know by now not second guess. ;) just be happy for the approval. ;) just hope the bucket seats don't show up pink. :D:D:D

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
There is a guy here in Cave Creek who rides a Kaw 650 dual sport that is completely camo'd out with metal side bags. Looks totally military right down to the bullet hole decals. I talked to him one day and it's actually his third bike, currently with 67,000 mi on the clock and the original plastic from the first bike! He just saves the old plastic for future use and transfers the old plastic to the new machine.

Camo is really nice...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren, you should know by now not second guess. ;) just be happy for the approval. ;) just hope the bucket seats don't show up pink. :D:D:D
The new seats are what we are running into an issue finding. They are either hard plastic or for a little kid. Or $400 a pair. Right now I could care less if they are pink, as long as they are cheap and comfortable :D That's what they make seat covers for :D

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

I was actually looking at those last night. They are a little wide though, and a little short on the back side. Looking for seats with around 20" to 22" on the back side for neck support. Course, I could always mount a couple cushions higher above the seat for that purpose as well. :)

I Was looking at boat seats also. Then tried automotive seats for a jeep. Found some for $200 a pair with the tracks and adjustable. But then the link crashed on ebay for the bucket seat search :rolleyes: haven't been able to search it since. Big issue is finding them 16" wide. Only have 32" of width where the seats go.

Not really looking to adjust the seats, since it gets narrow fast in the frame. Just looking for some good padding so my wife will enjoy tearing around on it. She broke her back about 20 years ago, so if the seats are hard, she has issues

I was actually looking at these. But will have to measure again when I get home and see if I can stuff them in there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAIR-OF...-09-/131569265093?hash=item1ea223a9c5&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Unless Mama starts driving it,,:D
She probably will :D it's hurry up and wait for parts. Gonna get the brakes done before I install the motor, so I'll have a little more room. Cable should be here tomorrow for it. Along with the rest of the parts. Should have the reverser friday. Then I'll be able to mount the motor. Gonna get all the cables rerun tomorrow also. Gotta build a cover for the electrical box, and an air filter box. And tie in from the carb to the air filter box with a radiator hose.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The reverser and parts showed up today :D ran the e-brake cable and throttle cable. Went to mount the reverse handle and cable. Ran into a little snag. It was missing the internal spring for the handle to hold tension on the cable :mad: $3 for the spring, $5 for the shipping :rolleyes:

Got the reverser mounted. Will have to double check alignment after the motor is installed. Grabbed the wrong size bolts for the motor mounts. Gonna have to raid the bolt bin at work again :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Been working my butt off on the cart. Just about got it done. Just gotta run to town, and pick up a couple self tapping screws. And two longer bolts for the passenger seat.

Gotta mount the seat belts as well.

Built an air box for the air filter. To keep mud and water from getting in it. It's a little "boxy" :rolleyes: but will let any moisture run out of the bottom :D

Wiring on the back will get tidied up a little after I fire it off and check the charging system. The new regulator had five wires instead of for. So I hooked up the original first to try. If it doesn't charge, then I'll have to contact someone to find out how it wires up.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Seats and seat belts are installed :D gotta run back to town though :( the zirc fittings on the old reverser were too big. Gotta pic up to little zirc fittings. Grease the reverser, and suspension. Check the oil on the motor. Then she will be ready to run through the paces.

Neighbor helped me put the motor back in. He expressed interest in giving it hell. :D wonder how long it will take before we get the cops out here :D:cool: