BX23S First Impressions

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
I've had my BX about 3 weeks now and I'd thought I'd share some of my first impressions about it. First off, let me say I really like this machine and I'm sure it will serve me well ... no buyer's remorse at all.

Upon playing with it a bit and plowing the driveway of snow a couple times, I've noticed a few minor things.

1. The light and signal switch cluster is in the wrong place. I'm 6'4" and thus bumping with my knee all the time.
  2. I'm very impressed with the traction it has on ice and snow ( industrial tires ), does way better than I expected. When plowing, it's nice to keep a tiny bit of down pressure on the bucket, but just a bit too much and it loses steering. A split left/right break pedal would solve this.
  3. The ability to let the boom hydraulics float (for snow plowing) would be nice, and would probably solve #2, but I suspect it would introduce safety issues.

That's about all I've noticed so far given the few hours I've used it. Other than that, it seems to be a well built little machine with a lot packed into a small space, and after waiting 25 years I finally have a backhoe for maintenance projects that have been put off due to my severe allergy to shovels and pick-axes.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are you sure the boom doesn't float? :confused:
That's a pretty standard thing on loader valves now. ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m willing to bet you have float. My older BX2360 does.
Jam that control forward and you will find it. Maybe tight since it’s new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
Not trying to be snide because after 50 hours on my meter I am still discovering things on my 23S.

1. Did you slide the seat back for more leg room? I'm only 5' 10" and I can slide it back so far I can't reach the dash switches or brake pedal at all.

2. Did you get a rear blade for snow plowing? As the others have said, the FEL has float. Took me a bit to find it and still learning when & how to use it. For a 3 point, it has no down force so it should allow a rear blade to bounce along the ground in a similar fashion. I have a sub-soiler and if the ground is dry have trouble getting it to stay submerged for this reason.

My only gripe is the 3 point turnbuckles. What a PITA! Patiently waiting for Mr. Hodge's stabilizer arms to deliver me from this misery.

Enjoy your new toy, er, I mean tool. I constantly look for reasons to bring "pumpkin" out of the garage and buy her presents quite often!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
To get your sub-soiler to pull deeper shorten the top link so the toe of the sub-soiler is pointed down a bit more. Adjust as necessary.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Definitely has a float, use it everytime I use the snowpusher. I agree about switch, if I was taller, my knee would rub for sure.

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
It does in fact have a float. Right after I posted this thread, I saw the other thread about FEL float function.

I did read through the manual, but not knowing any of the terms, that small section didn't make much sense as I guess I was looking for something stating "relief of hydraulic pressure". Now I know, but I'm sure there's more terms I need to learn.

Anyway, I just took it out again for a couple of passes on the driveway and while the "float" is certainly better, it still seems to have a bit of steering trouble. Differential lock is disengaged, 4WD on/off doesn't matter. I suspect the backhoe still being attached is a large factor. I'd remove it, but have no place at all to store it ... yet, and not sure what would happen to rear traction with nothing back there.

Last edited:

Lizlec

Equipment
BX1870-1 + LA203A FEL + B2789 3PT SB + 54" HLA1500 Snowpusher
Feb 4, 2018
Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, Canada
Removing the backhoe would mean you need to replace it by a ballast box to compensate for FEL weight and prevent rear wheels lifting while lifting charges with the FEL. The thing is the front of the tractor is relatively light so in float mode you don't have most of the FEL loader weigth to help with steering traction, but without a "ballast" weigth (box, backhoe or any other attachment) you can't lift much weigth with the loader.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
FWIW I have found that when the BH is on, the FEL does not level or handle as well as when it is removed. The BH seems to make the FEL somewhat light when grading. Try this trick with BH. Move the BH bucket in close as possible & turn the arm far right or left to get the center of weight closer to the rear of tractor & see if that helps with the FEL & steering. Make sure you are on level ground, do not turn the BH downhill.