B7100 PTO Chipper question

Zogman

Equipment
B7100
Mar 16, 2014
Lake Elsinore, CA
Hey guys, I have a B7100 gray market tractor. Non hydrostatic. I have a chance to buy a BXS42 PTO chipper. The requirement on the chipper is 18+ HP. I found on the web that my B7100 only has 13hp. Aside from the obvious that X does not = Y, have any of you used a chipper rated for more HP than your B7100? Thoughts?

Thanks

Zoli

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hey guys, I have a B7100 gray market tractor. Non hydrostatic. I have a chance to buy a BXS42 PTO chipper. The requirement on the chipper is 18+ HP. I found on the web that my B7100 only has 13hp. Aside from the obvious that X does not = Y, have any of you used a chipper rated for more HP than your B7100? Thoughts?

Thanks

Zoli
Why would you want to risk damaging your tractor. The chipper's pto shear bolt will be stronger than your tractor's limits. Your engine will always be overloaded when the chipper is operating, etc, etc....

It is false economy to ask your machine to do more than it was designed for.

Buy a cheap gasoline engine and use it to power the chipper.

Dave

Zogman

Equipment
B7100
Mar 16, 2014
Lake Elsinore, CA
I reread my post and I don't see where I said I wanted to damage my tractor. I'm just looking for input from people who have more experiance than I do. I have never used my PTO. I'm rather a novice at owning a tractor. But thanks for your concern.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First there is no such thing as a Gray market B7100, you either have a B7100 or you have a B7001 or a B7000 those are both Gray's.
Are the labels in english?
Does the hood say B7100?

Next, sounds like you just flat took offence to Dave telling you that your going to break your internal parts of your tractor, he's just stating the obvious.

Trying to run an implement that requires more HP than your tractor is rated for will only dog it down and yes break parts, it's the downfall of running an implement that over rated.

So, NO you shouldn't just try and run it!
Parts for the internals of a B7100 or whatever you have are not cheap! ;)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I reread my post and I don't see where I said I wanted to damage my tractor. I'm just looking for input from people who have more experiance than I do. I have never used my PTO. I'm rather a novice at owning a tractor. But thanks for your concern.
Perhaps I could have worded my post to be more direct. I believe your idea of using an implement, which has a minimum pto power of 18+ horse power, and connecting it to an older tractor, which likely only when new produced 13 pto horsepower, is expecting too much. Overloading a tractor will only shorten its life if not break some expensive impossible to find internal part.

No one on this forum, including myself, is trying to be rude or unhelpful. We all give a lot of thought before responding to a thread. Usually, a post like yours is identical to many we have seen before. Many new owners fail to recognize the machine's limits and think they have a Bulldozer instead of a well built very useful small tractor

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment: if the OP was to replace the shear bolt with a smaller diameter or grooved bolt -- say, 1/4" GR5* -- then the tractor would be protected the same as with any implement requiring an appropriate HP.

He might go through a lot of shear bolts while learning to limit the amount of brush he's stuffing in the front end, but he might be willing to put up with that if it's a really good deal on the chipper.

*pretty much all my B7100 implements use 1/4" shear bolts.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Of course, all this advice is excellent and should absolutely be heeded. But also, these things are not often the binary decision we make them out to be.

I've put a ton of carefully crafted time on a (theoretical) 4" capacity DR chipper that was well oversized for my little Ford 1200 tractor with an earth-shaking 13 PTO hp. What was equally important is that I also wasn't running the chipper to its full capacity. I just needed to mulch up a bunch of cedar and oak tree limbs, most less than 2 inches. Plus, the feed rate into the chipper also matters a great deal. To talk in extremes, if you go excruciatingly slow, the tractor won't know if you are chipping a big piece of wood or small because it's only taking a bite of whatever you give it. With a chipper, a lot can be accomplished by managing inertia of the chipping wheel. That little tractor is still going strong even though it has to watch the Kubota get all the 'big' jobs.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sgt, do you put the limbs in that orange chute, or up there where it says FORD on the side? It looks confusing.:D:D

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I have a Wallenstein BX52S chipper which is a 5" and I use my BX2660 with 19 pto hp. The chipper is rated for I believe a 30-50 hp tractor, not very often do I chip 5" wood but it will do it if you go slowly, I went with the larger size to accommodate the branches and I'm sure glad I did.

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I use a BX42 chipper on my B7100. It works fine if I don't put in too large of branches in it. 3 inch branches go through with no problem. Short sections of 4 inch branches load the engine and will stall it depending on the length.

Zogman

Equipment
B7100
Mar 16, 2014
Lake Elsinore, CA
Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment: if the OP was to replace the shear bolt with a smaller diameter or grooved bolt -- say, 1/4" GR5* -- then the tractor would be protected the same as with any implement requiring an appropriate HP.

He might go through a lot of shear bolts while learning to limit the amount of brush he's stuffing in the front end, but he might be willing to put up with that if it's a really good deal on the chipper.

*pretty much all my B7100 implements use 1/4" shear bolts.
Thanks for all of the responses. My tractor says B7100 on the hood but if I remember right it is a B7000 or a B7001. That is why I said it was a gray market tractor. I was under the assumption that they are pretty much identical (but as usual I'm probably wrong). Mine is a 4wd unit.

So Torch, in regards to the shear bolts, do you know where would the shear bolts be on a chipper PTO? I don't plan on putting 4" or 5" tree trunks in the chipper, I will use that stuff for firewood. But I would like to put 2" max stuff through it. The BXS42 should be able to handle that stuff easily. I've already burned through a small chipper and I just want to be more efficient on my chipping of smalls tuff.

Thanks again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My tractor says B7100 on the hood but if I remember right it is a B7000 or a B7001. That is why I said it was a gray market tractor.
The serial # on the Clutch housing will still Say B7001-xxxxx, But it's still a b7100, that does not make it a B7001. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
So Torch, in regards to the shear bolts, do you know where would the shear bolts be on a chipper PTO?
Depends on make, model and possibly even options. Look for a flange near the driveshaft with a single bolt holding it together. I'm guessing it's a Wallenstein. Here's a screenshot from one of their manuals (BX42S):

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Food for thought

COMER's technical advice is that the shear bolt needs to be at the implement end of the pto shaft.

I know not everyone accepts that position. Implement manufacturers don't all follow Comer's advice

COMER's logic is that the shock load is coming from the implement back towards the tractor and, in shearing close to the implement, you reduce the risk of damage to the tractor pto.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Zogman, you keep insisting you have a grey market tractor. Don't know where you got the idea, don't know why you don't want to change your mind as others here have explained the serial numbers...but if you go to a Kubota dealer and tell them you have a grey market tractor they will send you down the road with no parts!

Try it and see for yourself. Then go to the next nearest dealer and ask for parts for a B7100. You'll get them... and they WILL fit your tractor!

You're going to discover, and believe, sooner or later what you've been told in this thread is true. And be thankful it is!!

Zogman

Equipment
B7100
Mar 16, 2014
Lake Elsinore, CA
Zogman, you keep insisting you have a grey market tractor. Don't know where you got the idea, don't know why you don't want to change your mind as others here have explained the serial numbers...but if you go to a Kubota dealer and tell them you have a grey market tractor they will send you down the road with no parts!

Try it and see for yourself. Then go to the next nearest dealer and ask for parts for a B7100. You'll get them... and they WILL fit your tractor!

You're going to discover, and believe, sooner or later what you've been told in this thread is true. And be thankful it is!!
Not sure what to tell you D2. Here is a pic of my serial number. A B7001 is a grey market tractor from everything that I’ve read and been told. I’m not here to argue with anyone. Y’alls are the experts. I’m just trying to use my great little tractor to it’s full potential. I’ve taken my tractor to the local authorized Kubota dealer and they’ve worked on it without question.

Btw.. the PTO chipper that I was interested in sold for more that I was looking to spend. So it’s back to the drawing board for me. Buy another standalone chipper or wait for a small PTO chipper that I can make it work with my lil tractor.

Thanks and Cheers

Z

Attachments

Last edited:

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Zogman, if you're still looking for a wood chipper, keep an eye on Ritchie Bros auctions. I've seen the 4" go for $550-850 USD, up here anywhere from $950-2200 CDN. I bought one last fall but haven't found the time to try it yet, soon though. They look like a wallingstien knock off, but brand-new in a steel shipping cage. Once in a while some get dropped and are banged up, look close before bidding.

As far as will your tractor run it, everyone here is full of good advice. Using the chipper at half capacity (2" wood) and feeding by ear (engine or flywheel slowing), I don't think you'd have a problem. It's no different than guys in snow country running a bigger snowblower on a small under rated tractor, they can do it as long as it's not too deep, or not taking full width. Listen to the engine, it'll tell you if it can handle it!

As an extra precaution, I agree changing the shear bolt is a very good idea.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Not sure what to tell you D2. Here is a pic of my serial number. A B7001 is a grey market tractor from everything that I’ve read and been told. I’m not here to argue with anyone. Y’alls are the experts. I’m just trying to use my great little tractor to it’s full potential. I’ve taken my tractor to the local authorized Kubota dealer and they’ve worked on it without question.

Btw.. the PTO chipper that I was interested in sold for more that I was looking to spend. So it’s back to the drawing board for me. Buy another standalone chipper or wait for a small PTO chipper that I can make it work with my lil tractor.

Thanks and Cheers

Z
Your own statement of your personal experience confirms you DO NOT have a grey market tractor. A Kubota dealer will not work on a Grey Market tractor!