Dual axle trailer brakes question. Do I need trailer brakes?

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Hello,
I have a Kubota L2501 that I will be moving with a dual axle trailer.

I have a Ford E350 super duty I will be towing with.

I am rebuilding a homemade 14 foot equipment trailer to haul my tractor and implements around.
Weights:
Tractor 2,623 pounds
Loader 805 pounds
Bucket 265 pounds
Wheel weights 360 pounds
Tire ballast 200-300 pounds?
Box scraper 346 pound.

Total weight. 4,700 pounds.
I will also at times be hauling a brush hog or other equipment that could total another 1,000 pound.
On top of that the trailer is built from 6 inch angle iron 1/4 thick.
I don’t know how heavy the trailer is but it is REALLY heavy and if I had to guess I would say it weighs around 1,500 pounds.

My trailer total weight loaded would be 7,000-8,000 pounds.

My question is since I am not required by Kentucky state law to equip my trailer with brakes should I or should I not?

I have towed big heavy trailers all up and down these Kentucky mountains without brakes over the past 20 years and I have never had a problem before.
I just take it easy and don’t drive like an idiot.

The reason why I inquired is because I am totally rebuilding the trailer in question and need to decide if I want to replace the idler axles with idler or brake axles.

I can upgrade the 5.2k Dexter axle from an idler axle to a brake axle for $60 each but I would also need a controller. Extra $250 I don’t have right now.

I would prefer to install idler axles so I don’t have to worry about maintaining a trailer braking system and wires getting ripped out using the trailer for farm work and I like the simplicity of idler axles.

Any suggestions? Do I need trailer brakes?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A trailer with brakes on both axles, is like night and day.
Yea you may never have needed them before, but it only takes one time of needing them to wish you had them.
All my trailers have brakes on them, I can't tell me how many times I've been very very happy to have them. ;)

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
Hello,
My question is since I am not required by Kentucky state law to equip my trailer with brakes should I or should I not?

I have towed big heavy trailers all up and down these Kentucky mountains without brakes over the past 20 years and I have never had a problem before.
First I'd like to say that trailer brakes are kind of like seat belts. I bet you wouldn't say, "Why should I use a seat belt? I have been driving for 20 years without one and I have never had a problem before." You may be the most careful easy going driver out there but you cannot control the dumba$$ that pulls out in front of you.

OK, off my lecture box....lol

Federal law says that any vehicle and trailer combination that exceeds 10,000 gvw (That is towing vehicle gvw plus trailer gvw) is required to have trailer brakes. Your E-350 probably has a GVW of 7-8,000 lbs by itself. Most States have more restrictive laws than that (http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/) You happen to live in a State that lets Darwinian Law dictate trailer brake usage so it's really up to you.

My opinion is put the brakes on. If you can't afford the controller now then put the axles that have brakes on the trailer and get the controller as soon as you can. I personally would never tow 7000 lbs down the road without brakes.

Okay, back up on the lecture box...I don't mean to sound like a D%$k here but this is not only your safety we are talking about. I owned a towing company for 20 years and I cannot count the number accidents I had to clean up after because people were towing trailers unsafely. Knowing how to load a trailer, tow it properly, and be able to stop it safely are big deals. If you don't do it safely you can kill other people.

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Most states require brakes on any trailer over 3000lbs, that’s why most single axle trailers are registered at 2990 even though they have 3500lb axles.

Towing a trailer IMHO with that much weight on it without brakes is just foolish, regardless of the law or tow vehicle.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
you obviously have enough truck to stop this amount of weight.

but its not really safe for the rest of us you run across... poster above hit it right on the head.

the difference in having vs not having is incredible. its always better to have & not need than to need them that 1 time & not have them.

think about it there in KY(cause i live over in Ohio)... if you get just a little lift from a bump or road issue & that back end of your truck comes up...

you got NOTHING to keep you from getting shoved in a curve or going down hill.

trailer brakes cost very little & save a lot of wear & tear on your truck.

& since you got a superduty? it should have the memory setting on the built in brake controller. you set it for empty & loaded & then it remembers it.

soooooo easy for pulling.

put brakes on all 4 wheels on that trailer!

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
You may be the most careful easy going driver out there but you cannot control the dumba$$ that pulls out in front of you.

My opinion is put the brakes on. If you can't afford the controller now then put the axles that have brakes on the trailer and get the controller as soon as you can.
If someone pulls out in front of me when I have the right of way and I hit them they would be at fault.

I thought about upgrading to brake axles and later down the road hook them up like you suggested. Would there be any negative affect using brake axles that are not hooked up?

Every couple years I have to replace my trailer brake light wires after getting damaged using my trailer for farm work.
It is almost impossible to keep operational trailer brake lights on my trailer.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I am thinking about installing idler axles now and later down the road installing hydraulic disc brakes.

Any suggestions on hydraulic over electric?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What everyone has said. Installing them now is easy and simple.

Not having brakes on a trailer is like not having a bucket on a loader! As soon as you hook them up and drive the first time, even if you don't need the brakes, you'll feel the difference (when you have your controller adjusted correctly).

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If someone pulls out in front of me when I have the right of way and I hit them they would be at fault.

I thought about upgrading to brake axles and later down the road hook them up like you suggested. Would there be any negative affect using brake axles that are not hooked up?

Every couple years I have to replace my trailer brake light wires after getting damaged using my trailer for farm work.
Not necessarily would you be at “No Fault “. If your equipment is not proper, insurance can refuse to pay. Also, if you are damaging your wiring so frequently then you must not be doing a very good job protecting the wiring when you rewire. Put the wiring in a protected conduit or Chanel so that it can’t be damaged. You come on here asking people if you should put brakes on or not then say you are going to do what you want and not do it. Sounds like you are just trying to get us to agree with you so that if something happens later on you can say, “Well Officer, everyone told me I didn’t need brakes so it’s not my fault.”

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Put the brakes on it. It is money well spent, both for safety, protecting others, and resale value.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.

[If someone pulls out in front of me when I have the right of way and I hit them they would be at fault.]
Pulling trailer that weighs that much without brakes is irresponsible. Even your super duty isn't setup to pull that much extra weight without brakes on the trailer, regardless the state you live in. Being you are asking, you KNOW the answer already. At least put brakes on one axle and you can pick up a controller on Ebay for less than $100.00. Electric brakes are much cheaper to install and maintain than surge brakes, plus you don't have the problems of backing the trailer as you would on a surge brake trailer.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
I would highly recommend setting the trailer up with brakes. I too, have an L2501, with a 64" Snowblower and loader with a Snow Pusher Bucket. (the snow pusher bucket weighs almost 500# by itself) I always ran single axle 12 or 14 foot trailers without brakes. I could not fit the tractor on a trailer that size so I opted for a twin axle, 22 Foot Car Hauler with electric brakes. NIGHT and DAY ! In the crappy roads and hilly terrain around here in Winter, you need all the help you can get. Once I set the Brake Controller, I was amazed at the difference. I am pulling all of this with an 02 F150 Super Crew, and I am pretty much at the trucks limit for towing. But it pulls great, and stops even better, actually helping the truck greatly when slowing or stopping. I will never run a trailer without brakes again, the difference is that dramatic.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I agree with what everyone else has said...put brakes on the trailer. Don't skimp on safety. It only takes one time for something tragic to happen to you or someone else.

It won't break the bank to set your trailer up with brakes. I reworked a 16 foot trailer I have. You can add a brake kit to each axle. They aren't too expensive (see weblink below). I only have brakes on one axle, but since you live in an area with mountainous terrain, you may want to add to both axles. However, at a minimum, put brakes on one axle. As far as the brake controller, I went with the one on the attached weblink. It's not the big name in controllers but works just fine. The wiring harness is simply plug in, no splicing. For the wire protection, put the wires in a wire loom. It takes a little time but well worth it for protection. And while your at it, add LED lights. It's not as expensive as you may think, but well worth it for safety.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/etrailer/AKEBRK-35-SA.html

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpow...026755&sr=8-2&keywords=reese+brake+controller

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I have to say that everyone has convinced me that I do need to add brakes.
Everyone has said yes you do need brakes except me!

I am calling my parts supplier ASAP and upgrading to brake axles.

But I have one last question. Brakes on both axles or one?
Since it is only a $60 upgrade per axle I think I should so ahead and upgrade both axles? Or wil one axle brake be plenty?

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.

Since it is only a $60 upgrade per axle I think I should so ahead and upgrade both axles? Or wil one axle brake be plenty?
If it were my trailer, it would have brakes on both axles, with that minimal cost. You WILL be glad you did, believe me. I pulled a race car on a trailer for 20 years, that didn't weigh what your trailer does. I've had trailers with brakes on one axle and brakes on both axles, there is a difference. I'm buying back the trailer that has brakes on both axles since I bought my BX2670.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio

R,

KY is one of the few states that allows "no brakes".. most states now require brakes on every axle....

my trailer was made right there in Bowling Green Ky by Traxx & they build all of their trailers that way so that you are legal everywhere you go.

PS: if you go to the new style LED lights & run the wires in some conduit mounted to the rails of your trailer... Your lights will survive!

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
[PS: if you go to the new style LED lights & run the wires in some conduit mounted to the rails of your trailer... Your lights will survive!]

I agree. I just ordered a set of LED trailer lights off of Ebay. I'm tired of fooling with my regular trailer lights. Corroded bulb contacts are a pain it the butt.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I agree with everything above, brakes and LED lighting. One more thing to add to the mix, not just this trailer but every towed vehicle of any kind.
What kind of connection do you have between your truck and trailer? A Two ton dually, with a ten ton trailer with all axle brakes that comes off or breaks loose due to an inadequate ball set up, loose latching mechanism, or cheap receptacle, will ruin your year, not to mention you may hurt someone else.
Use a solid receiver, a large SHANK ball, a weight distribution hitch set up, will DOUBLE your legal Tow capacity. Tow balls have weight ratings. A HF 3/4” shank 2 5/16” ball is inadequate for most things you will be towing.

I’ll get off my soapbox, but check your gear. Quality counts! Remember
“ OVERBUILT IS UNDERATED”

Pburchett

Equipment
MX5200HST
May 7, 2016
South Central KY
Put the brakes on the trailer. Get a controller off ebay at a later date. It does not have to be a fancy one. You will not be sorry. I travel the hills of KY with my tractor and the brakes make a great difference.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Electric on both axles!
It will stop smoother.
Electric brakes are less maintenance than hydraulic. ;)