First tractor

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
Hello
I have a new B2601 on order, It should be ready at the beginning of March. I have been reading as much material as I can about anything that may pertain to this tractor.

I have a question, is it best to fill the rear tires or use a ballast box or implement to add weight.
I know that how the tractor is used will probably be the determining factor so I would like opinions based on experience rather than my guesswork.

The tractor will have a LA434 fel, a 60 mower deck and a box blade. It will also have R4 tires.
It will mostly be used for mowing but I have a lot of dirt work to do also. The property is mostly flat but there are some hills.

One of the local farmers told me that he thinks weight in the wheels will be hard on the lawn. That makes sense to me but I have no experience with this.

Thanks for any help

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hello
I have a new B2601 on order, It should be ready at the beginning of March. I have been reading as much material as I can about anything that may pertain to this tractor.

I have a question, is it best to fill the rear tires or use a ballast box or implement to add weight.
I know that how the tractor is used will probably be the determining factor so I would like opinions based on experience rather than my guesswork.

The tractor will have a LA434 fel, a 60 mower deck and a box blade. It will also have R4 tires.
It will mostly be used for mowing but I have a lot of dirt work to do also. The property is mostly flat but there are some hills.

One of the local farmers told me that he thinks weight in the wheels will be hard on the lawn. That makes sense to me but I have no experience with this.

Thanks for any help
60" rear finish mower?
I would say if your going to finish mow with it, yea I would say a Ballast Box for loader work is the best bet.
But if it's a brush mower then load the tires and use either a heavy implement or a ballast box too.

Last edited:

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Last edited:

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
60" rear finish mower?
I would say if your going to finish mow with it, yea I would say a Ballast Box for loader work is the best bet.
But if it's a brush mower then load the tires and use either a heavy implement or a ballast box too.
Its a mid mount mower.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I recommend just going with a ballast box. I have basically the same set up on my B2650. I went with not loading the rear tires due to using the machine for finish mowing, and can be a little soft in the spring. I then fabbed up a ballast box to use for loader work or anything else where I need ballast. This system works very well for me and should work out well for you.

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with either an implement or a ballast box.

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
I recommend just going with a ballast box. I have basically the same set up on my B2650. I went with not loading the rear tires due to using the machine for finish mowing, and can be a little soft in the spring. I then fabbed up a ballast box to use for loader work or anything else where I need ballast. This system works very well for me and should work out well for you.
rkidd
How much weight did you use for your ballast box?

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I had a B2320 (which is pretty close to what you have coming). I had the tires loaded and did not have a problem. The difference is I had turf tires and you have R4 tires. I would think that would be a problem mowing... so maybe blast when you need it may be better. However, I would think R4 tire would be a problem mowing even not loaded. Others with R4's on B sized tractor can chime in.

As for ballast, you have a box blade coming... that is what I use for ballast and it works well. You could even add weights to it if it is not heavy enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
rkidd
How much weight did you use for your ballast box?
I did alot of experimenting adding a 100 at a time and ended up at 650 lbs for doing max loader work. If I was steady doing heavy loader work, I would add another 100lbs. Thats why I designed my ballast box the way I did. The problem with implements for ballast is most of them are not heavy enough. Not saying people dont get by with them, but very heavy lifting with the loader they are not heavy enough. Thats why I like a dedicated ballast box to have enough weight at all times for what ever you happen to run into.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Apologies to OP!!! ;)
Reading too many posts at one time can foul one up, I somehow had it in my head he said L2501, I know, I know, even when questioned I still dropped the ball! :rolleyes:
Yes a B2601 has a mid PTO and yes a MMM available for it. ;)

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
I did alot of experimenting adding a 100 at a time and ended up at 650 lbs for doing max loader work. If I was steady doing heavy loader work, I would add another 100lbs. Thats why I designed my ballast box the way I did. The problem with implements for ballast is most of them are not heavy enough. Not saying people dont get by with them, but very heavy lifting with the loader they are not heavy enough. Thats why I like a dedicated ballast box to have enough weight at all times for what ever you happen to run into.
Thanks. I saw on this site some of the concrete ballast blocks guys have made, I may do that.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
That's great. I can't wait to get mine. My wife is accusing me of "making up things to do" :confused: yea well I am even writing them down so I don't forget.
Practice your scowling or grumpy look so that you can use it naturally while your getting seat time. NEVER let her see you smiling while driving! :D

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
You will Jetech. I keep fixing bush roads I don't even use any more. LOL.

Even though I have big trucks and heavy equipment, there is still something oddly fun about playing with my little tractor.

And how much work you can do with so little fuel useage.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Last edited:

Jetech

Equipment
B2601
Feb 13, 2018
Iowa
I forgot to post a pic of my ballast box to show you what I did when I posted. Here is a pic for some ideas. I had just bought a new Lincoln mig welder, and decided to put it to use.

Thanks for the pictures. I will probably use concrete. I found a online calculator to help me determine weight basesd on box form size. That should give me a starting point.