Dual axle trailer brakes question. Do I need trailer brakes?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Another support option would be legs on the trailer itself. Something simple like a sliding piece of pipe or square tube with holes for a pin on each side of the trailer.

A few advantages to this over a support sticking out from a tailgate: they don't stick out so less likely to bang your knee when working around the trailer, less weight when raising/lowering the tailgate, can be used with ramps, can be used on uneven ground.

The disadvantage of course is that you have to remember to raise and lower them as a separate step from raising and lowering the tailgate.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Another support option would be legs on the trailer itself. Something simple like a sliding piece of pipe or square tube with holes for a pin on each side of the trailer.

A few advantages to this over a support sticking out from a tailgate: they don't stick out so less likely to bang your knee when working around the trailer, less weight when raising/lowering the tailgate, can be used with ramps, can be used on uneven ground.

The disadvantage of course is that you have to remember to raise and lower them as a separate step from raising and lowering the tailgate.
Thanks again for the useful post.
It gave me a good ideal.
How about those scissor jack that are used on travel trailers.
I could install 2 on the rear and it won’t cause a clearance issue so my tail end won’t drag.
I will check into the jacks and see if I can find one heavy duty enough for my application.

Thanks everyone who provides useful information it has gave me some good ideals.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
How about those scissor jack that are used on travel trailers.

I did something similar to level a homemade mobile porta-potty trailer using automotive scissor jacks from a wrecking yard -- just welded the top of the jack to the underside of the trailer frame.

Ok for something you are just going to use a few times a year. A lot of cranking for something you might use a few times a day.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
The problem with a rear support leg with pin holes is when the weight doesn't come off them once the trailer is loaded. Then you can't pull the pin.

I like the trailers I've seen with the tubular mount for a tongue jack on both sides at the rear.

Bruce

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
This is one of my two options I am now considering.
I think it would be better than the pull out ramps because I can build a support on the ramps to prevent the rear of the tow vehicle from lifting while loading and unloading.
His has the support arms built into the ramps, but they are short enough that the back of the truck does come up a bit when he is loading. His are nonadjustable, and stick out. Have to be careful walking around the back of the trailer. He's had his trailer and Kubota 2710 more than 17 years. He uses that tractor for every thing.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
FWIW I use a cordless drill to raise & lower my jacks on the trailer. Quick & easy.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
FWIW I use a cordless drill to raise & lower my jacks on the trailer. Quick & easy.
^^^ was gonna say this is how we do it at work...

20v screwgun with a socket on it. zips it up & down.

rdrett: this is a very friendly place & its pretty rare that anyone here gives anyone any grief on anything.

but back to your trailer: those rear full width fold up gates can be heavy, and im getting old & broken down... so i get your concern there, but all you gotta do is get a set of gate assisters like these:

https://www.ebay.com/i/152157270202?chn=ps

they come in all different strengths or you can even put a $15 hand crank on the gate & do it with the same screw gun you would use on the jacks.

lots of ways to skin a cat.

just remember that the money you put into this is well worth it if you use your trailer a lot.

i'll never go back to a ramped trailer after having the tilt top.

IF i was to ever go to a trailer with sides again? would STILL go with a dump style & just make sure it was big enough to fit my stuff.

rogerwh0825

Equipment
BX2660
Nov 14, 2017
Havana, Fl. US
Full gate versus ramps. When you get to that large of a vehicle I'm not sure how much the wind resistance of the gate causes. I've got a 1500 with small v-8 and two trailers. One a 14 ft with full rear gate, the second a 18 ft with dovetail which reduces the height of the rear gate to about 30" versus the 54" for the other. The 18 ft is heavier but tows so much easier due to the wind resistance. You don't notice it going 40-45 but get up around 60 mph and very noticeable. Would much prefer ramps myself.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Lots of hard work and lots of money got me this far.

I need to install a deck.

Question is what kind of wood? Pressure treated or just regular wood?

Attachments

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

Pressure treated 2x's, not 5/4.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Looking good!

I would recommend PT. Dirt and moisture will create breeding grounds for rot otherwise.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.

If it were mine, I'd use treated 2x8s, for strength. My 10 ft trailer came with regular 2x6s and they are rotted in just 3 years. I fell through the floor last fall just standing on it. Damned near broke my leg. I'm going with treated 2x8s when it warms up a bit.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I like hard wood decks, but you'll need to have a friend in the business in order to not loose your shirt, shorts, and your left... you get the point.

Hard maple being one of the best, or if you can get poplar that works really well.

I'm not a fan of conventional treated wood as it's brittle.
If I had to do a deck with common Douglas fir, lay it all out leaving a 1/8 gap between boards, then drill it mark placement pull the boards and use a good deck stain to treat the lumber.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

Looking good!

My suggestion is to use rough sawn white oak, call some local lumber/saw mills and inquiry about it, I did my 16' trailer for about $180 last year. After it's dried good, paint it with used engine oil to waterproof it. PT lumber is hard on the steel framing and screws it touches, and it shrinks a bunch when drying.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I thought about using 2x12’s so I will need to use less stainless steel carriage bolts to hold the boards down.
Most recommend 2x8’s is there a disadvantage using 2x12’s?

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
if you are gonna do a wood deck?

rough saw lumber is much better than commercial treated stuff.

but you have to work with what you got available.

for me? i'll never have another wood deck trailer after having the steel deck. If it gets scraped? ya just repaint it.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Thanks everyone. This forum has been a great help.

One thing I would like to point out I found from my research.

PT “pressure treated” wood since 2004 is VERY highly corrosive to metal. If you use PT you need to use stainless steel fasteners.

After doing my research I have decided to go with rough cut white pine 1 1/2 X 6 X14.

I called around sawmills and was surprised to hear that rough cut white pine ***127794; is cheaper than the junk PT from the hardware store.

I picked up some white pine and 3/8 stainless steel carriage bolts with nylon lock nuts to re-deck the trailer with.

The last thing I need to figure out is what to use to treat the wood. I have thought about using boiled linseed oil, pine tar or diesel and oil mix.
Any suggestions on what to treat the wood with?