Need to purchase new starter for L2600DT

Zeeman

Equipment
2600DT bush hog, disk, plow, fork, 16' trailer
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
Does anyone have advice on what to replace the starter with? I am not willing to pay Kubota's price, and was hoping someone could recommend a good replacement for less money. I believe the part is a Hitachi T1060-16800. Thanks.

Last edited:

JoBo

Equipment
B5100, D905 powered generator
Mar 15, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
The starter on my "new to me" D5100 was getting worse by the minute.
I looked on e-bay and found many vendors selling them and ordered the least expensive one from "Pat's Small engine plus" for $85.99. It's made in China and arrived yesterday. I was startled how fast it turned the engine over the first time IO started it.

I found them by searching on the Kubota part number

It's only been a day but I'm very pleased.

JoBo

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
Thanks. I'll check them out. I really wish I could find a good cross reference guide, and possibly find one that way.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What's wrong with your starter, you can buy individual parts to fix your starter. ;)
You can go to Kubota.com and get a list of any of the parts you might need.

I have a post on here about the cost of using aftermarket parts, one day it seams great, the next it can cost you big time. :(
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12898

Another thing to think about, Kubota's are of the quality that they are due to the parts that they bolt on them, start bolting on a bunch of sub-grade aftermarket parts and your going to reduce you fine quality tractor to a sub-grade tractor. :eek:

You don't have to pay top dollar for genuine Kubota parts, try http://www.goldeneagledirect.com/index.php

Last edited:

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
What's wrong with your starter, you can buy individual parts to fix your starter. ;)
You can go to Kubota.com and get a list of any of the parts you might need.

I have a post on here about the cost of using aftermarket parts, one day it seams great, the next it can cost you big time. :(
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12898

Another thing to think about, Kubota's are of the quality that they are due to the parts that they bolt on them, start bolting on a bunch of sub-grade aftermarket parts and your going to reduce you fine quality tractor to a sub-grade tractor. :eek:

You don't have to pay top dollar for genuine Kubota parts, try http://www.goldeneagledirect.com/index.php
Wow, that Golden Eagle parts place is expensive!!!!!!! $587.36 for the starter I need. I guess you were joking about the prices.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wow, that Golden Eagle parts place is expensive!!!!!!! $587.36 for the starter I need. I guess you were joking about the prices.
Go to your Kubota dealer and price the same part, then you'll see that the price at Golden Eagle is cheap!
I've bought a lot of parts from them and have saved a ton over dealer prices while still getting genuine Kubota parts.

I think the point I'm trying to make is moot to you.

Just go to EBay and buy the Chinese knock off for $168.00 and be back to work, but don't cry later on when other parts start to fail because of a cheap part.;)

al b

Equipment
l345dt, l48, l2550dt
Feb 15, 2012
Ct
Some starters can be easy to fix. It won't be like having a new one but can last a long time if you can isolate the bad part and replace it. Clean it, lube it.

What is it doing?

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
I took the starter off, and bench tested it. The solenoid is engaging the starter by moving the gear outward, but it does not spin at all under power. It is possible to turn the starter shaft by hand though. I'm willing to replace parts in the original starter, but I don't have the knowlege to diagnose the problem. Thanks for any help you can give.

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
Go to your Kubota dealer and price the same part, then you'll see that the price at Golden Eagle is cheap!
I've bought a lot of parts from them and have saved a ton over dealer prices while still getting genuine Kubota parts.

I think the point I'm trying to make is moot to you.

Just go to EBay and buy the Chinese knock off for $168.00 and be back to work, but don't cry later on when other parts start to fail because of a cheap part.;)
I totally understand the point you are trying to make, so it is not moot. You might be right about the aftermarket thing, but sometimes there are other factors involved in making decisions about parts. If local dealers are charging much more than the $600 Golden Eagle is asking, I bet they don't sell any starters! Even the replacement internal parts are outrageously priced. If I do get an aftermarket starter, I promise not to cry, but will post my experience.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have a multi meter?
I can tell you how to test each section.
Things that can go wrong:
Worn brushes
Open or shorted armature
Open or shorted field windings
Bad solenoid contacts.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take it apart and take some pictures and I can help point out what to look for and measure on the parts. ;)

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep your going to have to go deeper into it.
So far all the parts look good. ;)

Zeeman

Equipment
Jul 12, 2011
Bartow County, GA USA
I got it all apart, but did not have time for pictures. I'm going out of town, so will post them on Sunday or Monday. Thanks again.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
I second stubblye. I found a local guy at car quest that does it in his spare time. I've had him do diesel truck starters for $50 with new brushes and solenoid. Around $80 for complete alternator rebuild on a pickup. I'd check some local " hole in wall" garages. The more old junk outside the better your chance of finding a rebuilder. Just for reference he rebuilt a cat starter off my backhoe for $275. Don't even guess what a factory one costs.