L3800 hst leak into engine

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Went to check the liquid levels in my new (december 2013) L3800. Motor oil way above what it should be and almoost clear in color. Looked at the hst window on the side and cannot tell if it's high or low. Used a flashlight and still cannot tell the level. From some of the posts here I'm thinking the seal probably went bad. Only has about ten hours on the clock. So will be calling the dealer in the morning. I'm thinking the hst was overfilled and maybe built up too much pressure and that caused the seal to go. Any suggestions as to probable causes?. Frank

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Like how far up the stick past the full mark ? The full mark is pretty high on the L3800 .

My L 3800 I bought a month ago which has 39 hours on it now the motor oil is still pretty clear new looking . And my m7040 that I bought last year which just done a oil change at 67 hours it was clear and new looking still . I have seen the oil doesn't get black like all the other diesels I have which is nice .

And the HST on the L3800 of mine needed 3/4 gallons more added after we used it a couple hours . But it was see able since it has udt oil doubt it will be easy to read when we change it to sudt2 at 50 hours . But nether has just any oil any where .

Your motor should be pretty clear . And like said it goes a pretty good ways up the stick to the full mark .

Take pics of where on the stick it is and of the HST check bubble so we can see double check ya .

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Overfilling the HST or better said, the hydraulic reservoir, would not have any factor on blowing the seal out of the pump (that's how it would get hydraulic oil into the motor).
If overfilling it were to blow any seal it would be a seal in the back around the rear end or the HST unit.
Double check levels and post back.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Your HST level is either high or low, hard to see it if the line isn't in the sight glass. Was the engine oil normal at some point, or is this the first time you've checked it? Engine oil with only 10 hrs will be clear.

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Called up the dealer and he sent his ace mechanic out. This is the guy that does the actual setting up of the equipment. Pulled oil dipstick from engine. There are too holes in the stick the bottom means you are too low on lubricating oil. The top one the level was just under the hole. I asked about why should it be clear and he read off the hour meter and said that you really have not run this machine to discolor the oil. When I referenced the different dipstick as shown in the manual he said when they make changes on the products it takes awhile to get into the new books. He checked the sight glass on the left hand side of the hump and said because you have the fel they usually add extra oil there to comphensate for the hydraulic used by the fel. And yes the subject about the oil for the engine came up. All boiled down to how many hours I had on the clock. felt much better and aologized to him for having to come out and check. No problem that is what I'm here for. Wished each other a Happy Easter and shook hands. That really took a load off my mind. But better be safe than sorry. Thanks for the info folks it's much appreciated. Frank

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Good figured ya didn't know the top hole was the full mark . Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Well the dipstick on my L3800 is not the one pictured in the manual. The one in the manual has a short section with hash marks I'd say about 3/8"apart. Course the one i have in the tractor is just a straight stick. And yes they have two holes bottom is low oil and the top is the correct oil.He verified the two holes and that there was a correct amount in my tractor. So tomorrow will hop up on my trusty steed and proceed to cut some grass. Appreciate the help, thanks, Frank