L2650 steering play

Carp

Dec 28, 2009
Doraville ga
Our L2650 4WD had 4 inches of play in the steering. Tierods and linkage is good. I tried to take it out by adjusting the sterring box sector, but it was tight. Pulled the box and only found that the Ball nut assy shaft had play. I twisted on the shaft and it would move in 1/2 inch. when I let go it would spring back. People (who have tractors) tell me that a lot of play is normal for tractors. The book says only 1 inch is allowed.

Carp

Dec 28, 2009
Doraville ga
The tractor does have power steering, but it is not hard to steer. The only real problem steering is after a turn or if you are mowing on a hillside. Then is wonders a bit. The tractor has a bucket on the front and it has been over loaded plenty of times. Plus someone else that uses it leave it in 4WD all the time, even on the pavement. The slack in the steering is there when the tractor is on or off.

Carp

Dec 28, 2009
Doraville ga
Sector is tight and I have no leaks. I took the sector out to be sure the problem was not there. I found no wear at all. I can twist the ball nut shaft and it is spring loaded. Only springs are in the power steering unit. Maybe the housing is worn, but that doesn't seem likely.