Dead battery revival

HiramL2850

Equipment
Snowblower (haven't tried yet)
May 27, 2009
Hiram ME
I apparently completely drained the battery in my L2850.
Jump starting with truck didn't work, so I'm wondering if something else is going on. Are there any special requirements to jump starting one of these?
Will an excessively dead battery prevent it?
Kinda screwed at the moment since it's back in the woods and in no position to be dragged out

darve5

Equipment
ZL1801DT, B7300, CIH 275 FWD and several implements
May 10, 2009
friendswood tx.
Check for loose connections, if all else fails carry a battery in and swap. Good luck.

BobM

Equipment
L2850
Oct 21, 2014
Great Falls, Mt
Have an 85 L2850 just bought used batt was dead so had to jump to start and it popped right off. Got home and swapped batt and now can't get tractor to even turn over. Any suggestions?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Check the inline fuse on the hot wire from starter to key switch. You may have blown the fuse when you jumped it.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
My B-3200 did the same thing to me. Battery died and wouldn't jump start. I took the battery out, charged it and it all went back to work. That was 66 miles round trip.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The generators on these tractors arent battery chargers. A stone dead battery needs to be trickle charged to bring it back up. Boost and drive is never the cure for a deep discharge. Get it properly charged as leaving a dead battery sit for too long will cause them to sulphate more quickly resulting in shorter battery life.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
To answer your question, yes, a completely dead battery will hinder a jump start. Remove at least one lead from the dead battery to get it out of the circuit.

Could also be a function of too small size wire or bad connection(s) on jumper cables or even on the vehicle providing jump.

Best overall to rob known good battery from another vehicle and install correctly into tractor.

Ask yourself how the tractor battery got stone cold dead? Some other problem?

Check tractor battery cables all ends for corrosion and alternator/generator/dynamo for output of about 14-vdc at high idle.

I've gotten to the point that battery maintainers are mounted on every ding-blasted piece of equipment on the place. Sure does extend battery life and makes life better for cold starts.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You ever have battery run totally down and charge it with the wires on backwards?

It will charge your battery backwards, and then since you didn't realize it cause real problems figuring it out!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have an 85 L2850 just bought used batt was dead so had to jump to start and it popped right off. Got home and swapped batt and now can't get tractor to even turn over. Any suggestions?
Double check both ends of the battery cables use a meter or a test light to verify your getting a good ground and hot.
Check the main fuse or fuse link, it on the smaller red wire that comes off of the starter.
If you are getting dash lights but no crank then move on to a PTO, or clutch and/or shuttle safety switch that needs the lever moved or the switch adjusted or replaced.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The generators on these tractors arent battery chargers. A stone dead battery needs to be trickle charged to bring it back up. Boost and drive is never the cure for a deep discharge. Get it properly charged as leaving a dead battery sit for too long will cause them to sulphate more quickly resulting in shorter battery life.
typically a trickle charger will not bring back a "dead" battery - once a battery gets to that zone of "i aint doing nutting" - it needs a good hit for a "short" period of time - trickles are good for holding that is 12.65V . Most people end up overcharging the batteries, boiling the acid right out. Some of the best trickles are the ones that vary the charge via a little onboard chip - yet sometimes it will still stay "on" and never hit the rated voltage and then slowly boil the acid out.

Anytime a new/old battery is placed in a circuit - the connections should always be cleaned and bright and tight. Most of the time a clicking on the solenoid can be that the battery is fine, but the connections have weakened. True batteries magically drop off to the point they will not start the engine, and then not take a charge - then you are just SOL !

Sometimes weak batteries cannot be jumped due to the length of wire in the jumping cables and and connections to the tractor.

Every now and again, the owner should take an VOM and find out what the specific voltage is at the battery with the machine off, then start the machine, unless it is a fully charged battery - the voltage should go up! Even though voltage is not what turns the engine over, it is a good indication of the condition of the battery......even though I have had a 12.65 battery not even click.......cell inside just weak enough not to flow enough amps to start the tractor :eek: