Float Help

RidiculouslyNecessary

Equipment
L3010 HST
Oct 7, 2014
Missouri
So on our L3010 HST, there is a float position, all the way up. If I bring the loader up say to test, the loader just returns to the ground, the bucket doesn't drop loose. Should it? I cannot tell if its loose when its on the ground, the front up the tractor raises up an inch or two. The previous grounds keeper says that hydraulic system the lever attaches to doesn't have that position. I am not sure about this, could the valve need work? Or is this expected behavior?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So on our L3010 HST, there is a float position, all the way up. If I bring the loader up say to test, the loader just returns to the ground, the bucket doesn't drop loose. Should it? I cannot tell if its loose when its on the ground, the front up the tractor raises up an inch or two. The previous grounds keeper says that hydraulic system the lever attaches to doesn't have that position. I am not sure about this, could the valve need work? Or is this expected behavior?

Float, if working, allows the bucket to ride or float on the ground, the forward motion on the stick is more than some think - you have to move the control more forward than it seems, it will "click" into that spot and NOT return to neutral.

Is your "clicking" into the detent?

RidiculouslyNecessary

Equipment
L3010 HST
Oct 7, 2014
Missouri
Float, if working, allows the bucket to ride or float on the ground, the forward motion on the stick is more than some think - you have to move the control more forward than it seems, it will "click" into that spot and NOT return to neutral.

Is your "clicking" into the detent?
Yes it is. But i don't know if it's actually in float... how can I verify? I just want to be sure I'm not tearing up the asphalt or the bucket.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The bucket doesent change unless you move the bucket control, just the loader arms follow the contour of the ground. Angling bucket while plowing snow in float will control how much cutting edge digs in. If bucket floated too,it woukd curl up and be virtually useless.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Good point, tooljunkie, most people don't know that. Float only "depressureises" the lift arms, not the curl of the bucket.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
RidiculouslyNecessary, there is an easy way to check if you have a Floar/detent feture on your FEL, put the lever in the Floar/detent position and place a jack under the front of the tractor. When you jack up the front of the tractor the bucket should stay on the ground. When you release the jack the front of the tractor should lower back to the ground. Repeat this process with the lever in the neutral position. When you jack up the tractor, the bucket should go up with the rest of the tractor.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Good point, tooljunkie, most people don't know that. Float only "depressureises" the lift arms, not the curl of the bucket.
This is how mine works. To test, find an uneven section of soil, push into the float mode, then back up. If the loader arms "float" up and down with the soil, you're fine. To reduce chances of digging into the soil, try putting your bucket almost flat. By backing up you're simply dragging the bucket across the ground. As stated, the bucket will not curl but the arms will move up and down.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Easy way to determine if float is operable is put control lever in float and back tractor through a ditch or over a berm while observing bucket height.

RidiculouslyNecessary

Equipment
L3010 HST
Oct 7, 2014
Missouri
This was exactly my confusion, I read in a thread here somewhere that the bucket would detent. This makes more sense. I will try it!

You guys are a wealth of information. Thanks! It makes more sense to float the arms anyway, I was beginning to wonder why you would only detent the bucket. The previous grounds keeper didn't know about this feature and still denies it, and he didn't know about the diff lock pedal. He just never used it, he has been the keeper for almost 10 years too!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I use float on mine when actually digging with the FEL. It digs based on soil conditions and bucket angle. When you get it set just right, you can skim off about an inch of soil or so with each pass and keep the pass 'level'. It's nice for knicking off high spots and dumping the pass soil into the low spots... then box blade to smooth it all out.

I'm still working on perfecting the art of float cutting but I did okay with it last week.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Don't have my manual handy but, is the float selector that little "gear selector" on the plastic valve shroud on the LA524? -The one ahead of the rubber boot for the FEL control lever. Don't have much snow in AZ but I sure do drag a lot of gravel. Sure could use that option.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Don't have my manual handy but, is the float selector that little "gear selector" on the plastic valve shroud on the LA524? -The one ahead of the rubber boot for the FEL control lever. Don't have much snow in AZ but I sure do drag a lot of gravel. Sure could use that option.
Ray, hope I am not off on the LA524, but on most FEL the float is simply the forward throw of the stick, stick moves in all directions obviously, but "clicking" it forward past the detent throws it into float. Sometimes you think you might snap the stick off ! :D

Float is an excellent way to back drag gravel and dirt, shoot snow too - allows the bucket not to dig.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Hokie!

THANKS! I NEED float! Not much snow to push around down here but tons of gravel to smooth out!

I was working today and played with the little "gear shift" selector I mentioned earlier. It seemed to lock out the bucket rotation by locking the control lever in a fixed position.

I'll play with it tomorrow and see if there is a forward detent on my levery-doodle thing. Love this site. You learn so much.

I have been filling in trenches all week. Tomorrow, I have to fill in a huge 6' deep hole I had to dig with an excavator to find my water main line off the street. Put a well in and needed to hook the well to the main. I'll be dumping in dirt tomorrow and smoothing out the topsoil so I'll have a chance to try it.

Funny, I had two locator companies come out and they both used witching sticks. The last guy had ground mapping radar but used the wires to verify where to start looking with the radar. By stomping his feet over the water line, he told me roughly how deep it was. On the sixth stomp, the wires stuck straight out again. He was off by a foot: It was five feet down in AZ hard pan. The ground-mapping radar was no better at that depth!

I played with the wires and managed about 60% positive. Other times not as good. Gotta focus my witching mojo.

:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hokie!

THANKS! I NEED float! Not much snow to push around down here but tons of gravel to smooth out!

I was working today and played with the little "gear shift" selector I mentioned earlier. It seemed to lock out the bucket rotation by locking the control lever in a fixed position.

I'll play with it tomorrow and see if there is a forward detent on my levery-doodle thing. Love this site. You learn so much.

I have been filling in trenches all week. Tomorrow, I have to fill in a huge 6' deep hole I had to dig with an excavator to find my water main line off the street. Put a well in and needed to hook the well to the main. I'll be dumping in dirt tomorrow and smoothing out the topsoil so I'll have a chance to try it.

Funny, I had two locator companies come out and they both used witching sticks. The last guy had ground mapping radar but used the wires to verify where to start looking with the radar. By stomping his feet over the water line, he told me roughly how deep it was. On the sixth stomp, the wires stuck straight out again. He was off by a foot: It was five feet down in AZ hard pan. The ground-mapping radar was no better at that depth!

I played with the wires and managed about 60% positive. Other times not as good. Gotta focus my witching mojo.

:)
them thar guys got magic running through their veins! I never seen them do it in person, but on the tube - fascinating to say the least! you fill them thar water lines in....i would hand pack the first foot or so.......good luck!:D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Is there a float on the 3point rear?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yup, it does it automatically. there is no down force, and if what ever you have on the back has wheels, it will ride up over the obstacle and then drop back to what ever heighth your arms are set at.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Another water witching believer here. Have done it and witnessed it many times. Heard a local story of an older gentleman that was top of the witching. He would strip down and wander around with a cardboard box covering his midsection. When he experienced a....... Well, you get the idea- he found water. Not folklore, he was genuine and drank stout beer. He was 90% successful.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tooljunkie, Does this guy hire out for parties? Does he work for the local dig safe locaters? I bet he draws a crowd!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I have the LA524 on my L3200, it's float is all 'up' on the control stick. The little doohickey forward of the control stick is the control lock.

Here's a picture of the control... (the orientation looks funny because the hood is up. The shot is looking down the main struts of the FEL)

Attachments