Sucker Stumps Popping Tires

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
Recently bought 6 acres. About 4 of it was an apple orchard. Prior to selling the developer pulled all of the apple trees out with an excavator. Now I get little apple tree suckers growing about 2 feet per year. We mowed the property last fall and again this week with a rotary mower (brush hog) and we keep puncturing truck and tractor tires on the little sucker stumps. This next spring I plan on beginning a spray process to kill the apple tree suckers and multitude of other weeds with the short term goal of getting the area in to strictly grass and then in a couple of years plan to plant a vineyard. In the mean time I am wearing out my welcome at the local Les Schwab tire store with their free flat repair promise. What would you all advise to cut those little suckers off at the ground?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
weed wacker with a saw blade.

Walk the field. It won't take an hour.

I presume the sprouts have "flags" to indicate their locations.

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
No, they do not have flags. There are thousands of them. I didn't mention this is on a fairly steep hillside and walking with a weed wacker would likely kill the person doing the work (well, it would if it was me.)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rototiller, Spring tooth harrow, flail mower all work much better than a rotary mower. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Only run it at ground level if there is no rocks and/or dry weeds, you wouldn't want to start a fire. ;)

It's also going to wear the blades down at a really good rate. :(

You would be much better off, to till it several times, and spray it, that will help kill off the roots and break them up, then you can mow it very short.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
or grow apples instead?

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Are the sprouts or suckers cut of short ? Thus making them sharp and stout. Perhaps cut a bit longer so they bend over when tires roll over them.
Dull blades on the mowers so the shoots are frayed on the end and not sharp, seems the flail mower would help with that.
If they are old problems from past work then the suggestions of tilling, or other item to pull the roots up a bit.
Assuming the hills are not to steep to drive on since you say your getting flats from doing so.
The large amount you mention makes it a interesting problem and one i am curious to see what others say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

winesalot

Jul 14, 2016
Chelan, WA
I am now shopping for a flail mower. There are a couple on eBay that go for ~$1500 or so. I assume these are Chinese made. Anybody have one and can give me feedback? I don't have room in the budget for a Seppi at this point in time.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Keep an eye on Craig's List. You can often find a used one at a very discounted price.

I've got a 5', I paid $500 (I think) and a 6' I paid less for. I put new bearing on the roller on the 6' and use it frequently. The 5 footer was in excellent condition.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ever think about just mowing it in reverse till you get the chopped off

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
It can take years for the suckers to 'take a hint and die'. The best solution is cut and then spray with a strong concentration of isopropylamine salt of glyphosate. Another important ingredient in some formulations is the surfactant polyethoxylated tallow amine. AKA Roundup. You cut the suckers so as to expose the 'trunks' and with the fresh cut, spray. It will kill the root system and the sprouts. You can also try to not cut, wait until leaves come out and spray, though I find that less effective. Done.
Any tree I cut, immediately after cutting it down, I 'paint' the stump with the stuff. Wait a week or so, then remove the stump. No sprouts ever.

So... faced with your dilemma, I'd let the sprouts grow to be a foot tall, brush hog, and spray. Then till, reseed grass and move on. Best of luck!