Considering BX1870 - want opinions.

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
This is my first post. I'm considering getting my first Kubota.

I began looking at Garden Tractors of various makers. Looks like Kubota doesn't make a Garden Tractor so the BX1870 is about as close to one as I have found. It's a little more than I need but that's okay.

I have 20 acres of mostly hay. A local farmer mows and bales my hay so that's not a factor in this.

I have a large yard that we mow with a ZTR but the load limit on it is 300 pounds. I need something to help with moving landscaping materials and more of the heavy lifting around here.

I'm open to other models of Kubota and even other manufacturers of Garden Tractors.

Is the BX 1870 the right model for me if I stick with Kubota?

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I'm a very satisfied BX1870 owner. I use it to mow about an acre of lawn, to move firewood and landscaping materials around the rest of my 5 acre property, and to run a small chipper shredder on the PTO.

The big advantage of this model is it's about the smallest sub compact utility tractor available from full service retailers in the US. I specifically got it because I wanted a 48" mowing deck--something small enough to maneuver on trails that connect different parts of my property. The next larger Kubotas (BX2370/2380 and BX2670/2680) can be bought with a 54" deck (or 60"), but nothing smaller. Most other brands only offer a 60" deck.

The BX1870/1880 has somewhat smaller tires, too, and given the hills on my property, I wanted to lowest center of gravity possible, so I don't consider these a disadvantage.

I was worried about the relatively low horsepower of the 18, but for me that has not been an issue. If you're running demanding PTO equipment--maybe a snowblower in wet snow, maybe this would be an issue. I'm not sure. I also get plenty of lift out of the FEL--enough to move full buckets of everything I've tried to lift.

Welcome to OTT, and good luck with your search!

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
I see a 3-point hitch on the BX1870. Does it have a drawbar? I have a broadcast spreader and a sprayer that can be pulled behind my ZTR with the usual drop in pin arrangement. Do I need an adapter to use them with the Kubota?

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I see a 3-point hitch on the BX1870. Does it have a drawbar? I have a broadcast spreader and a sprayer that can be pulled behind my ZTR with the usual drop in pin arrangement. Do I need an adapter to use them with the Kubota?
While there is hitch hole at the rear of the frame, it's probably not at the best location for your needs. You can put a horizontal drawbar between the lower 3PH arms, or for more versatility, get a 2" receiver hitch that suspends from your 3PH, or other versions that bolt to the frame of the tractor.

Google "kubota bx receiver hitch" and you'll see some relevant threads here as well as some commercial options.